Do you speed ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Sl4yer wrote:I'd start by getting traffic police back on the road - they're VERY rare around here.
Oh they are on the road and have been for years but their numbers are now very few and far between because motoring offences are 'victimless crimes' so politicians have reduced the number of Plod working in Traffic enforcement as the majority of of voters are alive :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

my route to work changed 8 weeks ago, but in that time - since the election for some reason - I must admit I have noticed many more traffic cars out there... weird.. it used to be never ever, now it's 1-2 a day! :shock:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Around here, they (police) build up data for the later implementation of mobile cameras or enforcement operations.

As to speed - amost never in suburbia. You just don't have a decent enough view of what may happen involving another person or vehicle. On backroads I drive to the conditions, and in a well-sorted car on an empty road that may involve "speeding". It might also involve slowing to 60% of the posted limit because of bald patches in the paving, covered with rainwater.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

or roo's :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I haven't hit anything larger than a flock of galahs - yet (and, ironically, at the time I wasn't "speeding").

Sure I'll get my quota of 'roos, wombats, wallabies and owls in due course.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've often wondered what would happen if speed limits were abolished, and the onus was on drivers to determine a safe speed under prevailing conditions. In the event of an acident, they would then have to justify their speed to a court.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

dnsey wrote:I've often wondered what would happen if speed limits were abolished, and the onus was on drivers to determine a safe speed under prevailing conditions. In the event of an acident, they would then have to justify their speed to a court.
Push specs out across all roads, have variable speed limits, properly assess each section for the safe maximum speed limit, reduce it in the rain/fog/ice etc, if someone speeds do them for dangerous driving (backed up by the tests done when assessing the road initially and it would be harder not to accept).
Of course this would be in a perfect world, as it would cost so much and take so long to bring in. Could be done on the motorways today though.

If you knew that a section of road had been properly tested for safe speed limit, and heard about someone driving faster than that limit and therefore getting done for dangerous driving through speed, you'd be more likely to think "they got what they deserved" wouldn't you? Compared to now where someone on a straight dual carriageway does 60 when there's a new limit of 50 brought in and it just seems like it's targetting motorists to make money.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Does anyone else on here have the ludicrous situation where a single carriageway has different speed limits depending on which side you are driving on.....We have one here in Newarthill where it's 30mph going one way but 20mph going the other way.

There used to be several others in a similar situation dotted through out North Lanarkshire, (they may have been sorted as I haven't been out passed them for a while) all brought about by the introduction of the new 20mph limit on urban roads .They have put new 20mph speed limit signs up but have neglected to remove the old 30mph signs furhter up/down the road........
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

We do have one side a dual-carriageway and the other single lane, being unrestricted that means 60 on the single and 70 on the dual (IIRC).

Perhaps there's hazards on one side that don't affect the other on your road, Labman?

Although I don't doubt anyone's sincerity when they say they don't speed, even accidentally, they must be few and far between IMO.

For instance, the A35 Christchurch Bypass is an unrestricted dual carriageway except the last few hundred metres of the west end, which is a 40mph zone. As I have to exit right, I occupy that 40mph stretch on the outside lane as I deccelerate but if I strictly observe the 40mph, I'll soon collect tailgaters and undertakers. The only drivers that seem to observe the limit are those that drove the whole length of the road at that speed.

Typically, I find brain-dead* rolling road blocks on "fast roads" where they cause a long tailback of frustrated drivers which can lead to some very dangerous overtakes - *presumably they don't have the mental capacity to alter speed according to conditions. They'll plod along at say 35-40mph seemingly oblivious to what's behind and, surprise surprise when the road enters a 30mph or 20mph - they carry on at 35-40mph!

With traffic congestion at an all time high I would also like to see the "Keep Left" and lane discipline concept are enforced as strongly as speeding limits as well as failing to indicate.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dual carriageway means there's a central reservation between your side and the oncoming side of the road, although most people think it means 2 lanes on your side of the road (something the Police in Portsmouth use to their advantage when clocking speeders down the single carriageway Eastern Road).

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also, the 60mph speed limit applies when there is no crash barrier on the central reservation.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:Also, the 60mph speed limit applies when there is no crash barrier on the central reservation.
Not sure about that Steve, if it's a dual carriageway (ie two seperate carriageways) then it's 70mph for cars.
I've never seen any documentation stating a two carriageway road is only a dual carriageway if there's a crash barrier.

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

i think the confusion is that there needs to be a central reservation, crash barrier or not.. 60mph no matter how many lanes there are, if there's nothing seperating the traffic in both directions :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
myglaren wrote:Also, the 60mph speed limit applies when there is no crash barrier on the central reservation.
Not sure about that Steve, if it's a dual carriageway (ie two seperate carriageways) then it's 70mph for cars.
I've never seen any documentation stating a two carriageway road is only a dual carriageway if there's a crash barrier.
I wasn't aware until fairly recently but read it on an official sort of site, possibly Dervla or maybe even Highway Code, can't remember.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RTA 1984 defines it as:

“dual-carriageway road” means a road part of which consists of a central reservation to separate a carriageway to be used by vehicles proceeding in one direction from a carriageway to be used by vehicles proceeding in the opposite direction;

DIY sphere tool