Sump rusted through on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

the_weaver wrote:Did you actually try the gasket on it's own with no sealant and if so can you confirm that it only dripped in that case?
Paul
Hi,
sorry for the delay in replying, yeah I tried just about every combination possible. The first time the I renewed the gasket I used a new dealer gasket on it's own with no sealant & at first it seemed to be leak free, but after a couple of weeks I noticed a drip on the garage floor at the gearbox end of the sump about the size of a 2p coin, it only ever seemed to leave this size drip for ages but then a drip started to appear at the other side also :roll:

I then removed the sump & refitted it with RTV only, a nice bead right around the sump circling the bolt holes. RTV cures very quickly but still I resisted filling with oil for 24 hours. A few days later drips on the floor again :roll:

I then made my own gasket from some good quality cardboard I got hold of, I coated this with RTV on both sides & let it cure for a week before fitting, so I had a cardboard RTV covered gasket. I fitted this thinking nothing was going to get through that, a week or so later drips on the floor again :cry:

The changes above were done over quite a period of time, when I spotted the leak I just left it until I was next changing the oil before I changed the gasket again.

Anyway the last time I changed it I ground off the raised flutes as I said in the earlier post, smeared a light coating (approx 1mm) of RTV silicone over the sump edge placed gasket, another light smear of RTV on the top of the gasket fitted the sump, left it overnight to cure & that solved the problem.

You shouldn't really need to trim any excess sealant off if you only use a smear on the gasket, it's a common mistake to use far to much sealant on gaskets.

Here's wishing you a leak free sump :lol:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The sump bolts were ok today. I didn't have to re-torque them. I let the engine idle for half and hour and the sump seems to be completely leak free.

Paul
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I hope you're saying the same in a months time :)
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer