Fuelling Problem Xantia 2.1 TD 1998 Lucas Epic Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all just a quick update

Got the car back late yesterday and i really thought i had the problem solved.
The car now starts and runs very quietly with no "pinking" that had been there previously.The static timing was indeed out and this has now been rectified FOC :D :D

However after a good long run with no problems a really bad potted road produced the same old rattle,again at the same rev band :twisted: :twisted:
Once again it returns to being quiet as a mouse with no smoke etc (even when making the rattle.)

Unfortunately due to the late ness of collecting the car i have been unable to contact Mike so it looks like a diagnostic session is going to be put on hold for a while.

I have noticed that the negative battery terminal connection is loose even when tightened fully,so much so that i can virtually lift it off without undoing it.I have had the car running and lifted the neg lead to the top of the terminal and not noticed any change in engine noise so this is being replaced later today.I am also going to remove the pump plug again and check for dirty connections etc.

Thanks for all your help so far

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Colin,

Pleased to hear the static timing adjustment seems to have made some difference :D

You know, it has to be electrical if it happens when going over a bump.

Check the needle lift sensor connector. Looking at my old 2.1TD at the weekend it reminded me they can suffer damage and intermittent connections. Going over bumps may just dislodge it for a moment and if it momentarily loses the signal a knock could well result...

Doesn't explain the fuel gauge though :?

Did sorting out the battery negative clamp help?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Right im keeping my fingers crossed in saying this but ......................

Have now driven the car for 60 miles with no rattles of any sort since i did the following

1. Replaced the loose negative battery clamp
2. Unplugged and replugged the pump connections and refitted a missing bolt (2 bolts are needed to hold the pump connections to the ECU box)
3.Not sure if this has/could have made any difference but have found a plug that appears to need to be held onto something as it has the slot in it hanging loose.This has been cable tied as in the first picture ans the second shows where it runs

Plug circled and its wire

Plug and wire circled again showing it diving towards the injectors

Apologies for the paint splashes,must try harder next time :lol: :oops:

Sorry Jim,was out taking pics when you posted but im hoping that maybe the battery connection and or plug i cabled tied could be causes of the rattle,only time will tell [-o< [-o<

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Mike regardless of any returning rattle or otherwise i would still like to have the car Lexiad if still possable :wink: :wink: :) :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The connector you have circled is indeed the needle lift sensor Colin and yes, it must be well supported.

Ditto the ECU connector. If only one bolt is in it then it will tend to drift sideways and the connections could get intermittent.

Good stuff, lot's of fingers crossed here [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote:Mike regardless of any returning rattle or otherwise i would still like to have the car Lexiad if still possable :wink: :wink: :) :)

Colin
You will find a Lexia session on an EPIC interesting and entertaining, especially when doing the actuator tests :D

The governor test that revs it to 3,000 rpm and holds it there until you press the brake pedal is an interesting one, as is the timing test. Now that WILL make it knock :twisted:

There is a heck of a lot of live data to watch...
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

CitroJim wrote:

Really stupid question time................

What data do you compare the live data to,is it in the software in the Lexia ,ie it has a graph to compare against the live data etc

See told you it was a stupid question :lol: :lol: :lol:

CitroJim wrote:
as is the timing test. Now that WILL make it knock :twisted:
Now things seem to be ok not sure if i want to try that one :)
CitroJim wrote:
Ditto the ECU connector. If only one bolt is in it then it will tend to drift sideways and the connections could get intermittent.
It had indeed drifted sideways and it was a bit tricky to get in,guess thats why it was missing :twisted:
I had to unbolt the ECU box and lift it up to get proper access to put the inner bolt in then rebolt the box back down.Just as well i have 2 old coffee jars full of bolts removed from various Xantias.They happen to be the same size as the bolts that hold the front wings on :lol: :lol:

Colin
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

admiral51 wrote:Mike regardless of any returning rattle or otherwise i would still like to have the car Lexiad if still possable :wink: :wink: :) :)
I'm looking forward to it, Colin, just let me know when as I'll need to retrieve it and change it's personality first. It's currently on loan playing with Peugeots.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

CitroJim wrote:

Colin
You will find a Lexia session on an EPIC interesting and entertaining, especially when doing the actuator tests :D

The governor test that revs it to 3,000 rpm and holds it there until you press the brake pedal is an interesting one, as is the timing test. Now that WILL make it knock :twisted:

I know what you meen jim, I got a little nervous when DickyG done my 406 2.1 (before it was swapped to Bosch), I'm sure his neighbors loved it at 8am on a Sunday.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Righty ho final update i hope :lol: :lol: :lol:

Car has now been driven just shy of 200 miles and not one,not even a hint of any rattle and i have been a little enthusiastic in my attempts to get it to reapear :wink: :wink:

Yes the static timing was out and needed to done,a big thankyou to Sir Jim for the destructions 8-) 8-)

I think the dodgy connections were responsible and should have been double and triple checked by myself :oops: :oops: :oops:

As for the fuel guage playing up at the same time who knows,probably just the usual Citroen trait of sending you down the wrong path :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all for the input and advice,i live and learn :D :D

Colin