Xantia Brake problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

bbb wrote:got some axle stands as used them for the brakes but wasn't certain that the car would de-pressurise without weight on the front wheels. Have looked at the home made sphere tool so may give it a go or see if i can get hold of a massive hose clip.
- Accumulator sphere should be removed after de-pressurizing :? .
- I guess, massive hose clip will brake but it's worth trying since you don't have sphere tool.

Here's an eBay pic. I've added this some time ago just to give an idea how it looks.
(I'm not the seller and I don't have any connection to them :wink: )

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
bbb
My Cars:

Post by bbb »

so.....
car in high, axle stands under the front jacking points (wheels off the ground), car in low, leave it for a minute, engine off, open the air regulator bleed screw (12mm hex head) and hey-presto the accumulator sphere etc is de-pressurised!? :?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Yes, you're on right track :) I would only add a small "detail":
Finally when I open regulator screw (only a half turn), I give a break and treat myself
with a cup of coffee/tea :lol: This minimizes the sphere LHM spill when it's removed.

From sphere change thread (CitroJim wrote):
"... The front corners are easy, Just undo them (with the system on low and depressurised of course) be prepared for spillage, clean up, dip the new seals in LHM, place the seals in the grooves and screw the new sphers in hand-tight.

The same applies to the accumulator but access is often poor and you really need the front end up on ramps or stands to get good access to it to enable a good swing on the removal tool. The Accumulator is often very tight. Mind the radiator! Again, clean up, Dip the seal in LHM and place in the groove before screwing the sphere in hand-tight.

Finally, nip up the 12mm bleed valve, start up, allow pressure to come up, set on high, top up the LHM and do a really good session of Citrobics..."
The above quote is from this supersticky thread: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24595
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
bbb
My Cars:

Post by bbb »

picked up one of these on friday and plus gassed the accumulator sphere friday and sat and this morning. A quick heft with breaker bar and the sphere came straight off no problems :D brakes feel a lot better.

the pad warning light coming back on was due to the wires on the new pads being a lot longer than the originals and when routed under the caliper they had rubbed on the disc through to the wire. Have removed them as they will be getting a visual inspection periodically anyway.

also traced a new oil leak to the sump plug, a quick tighten and job done.

:D :D

should add that the manual tensioner bolt is well and truly corroded, drilled it for the easy-outs but still no joy. slipped a couple of washers between the shouldered bolt and the tensioner so things have stopped squealing but its not a proper fix. Looks like a job for a pro :(