How long before my Constant-Velocity completely goes ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

If it helps, it is quite possible to remove the outer joint on the car, leaving the shaft and inner in place.

It is best to tether the shaft to the car with some cable and a strong clamp to avoid displacing the inner joint or the shaft from the gearbox.

Then free the shaft from the hub as already described, remove the outer gaiter and clean off some of the grease. I use a length of inch angle iron to knock off the inner claw which is fully hardened and won't get damaged. It usually comes apart with a single thump with a medium hammer.

It is a good idea to wrap the CV joint to protect it when comes off.

Fred
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

ahhh a good use for those old carrier bags then.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

thorter wrote:If it helps, it is quite possible to remove the outer joint on the car, leaving the shaft and inner in place.
Doesn't the offside one have in intermediate bearing like the bigger engined BXs? That should hold the gearbox end in place. Simple matter to whack the CV joint off while holding the driveshaft. Or at least it was in my more supple days.
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

Doesn't the offside one have in intermediate bearing like the bigger engined BXs? That should hold the gearbox end in place. Simple matter to whack the CV joint off while holding the driveshaft.
If you are lucky! You are correct that the shaft won't come out of the gearbox on that side, but the inner triax just pulls apart. The gaiter may well be strong enough to keep it together, but if not and the gaiter tears, you may not have saved much work.

Fred
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

True, you need to keep a good hold of the driveshaft while you pop the CV joint off but in my experience they don't take that much effort.