Cigarette Lighter not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Penguin wrote:Thanks for your help on this one, it was indeed the fuse (in the position stated by Paul NOT the one stated by BOL). Simple fix once I had the correct fuse identified.
Can you please clarify, did it fix both lighter and light?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

MikeT wrote:
Penguin wrote:Thanks for your help on this one, it was indeed the fuse (in the position stated by Paul NOT the one stated by BOL). Simple fix once I had the correct fuse identified.
Can you please clarify, did it fix both lighter and light?
Actually haven't checked the light, but the socket is working which is what I was really worried about. I'll check the light later and let you know.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

No, the light isn't working. Still, I can live with that.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Penguin wrote:No, the light isn't working. Still, I can live with that.
Thanks for taking the time to check and post. Did you have the lights on when checking as I suspect it's powered off the illumination circuits?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Yeah, I checked with lights on and off. No difference.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You might find that the illumination is controlled via the ignition switch for that, similar to how (most) of the digital clocks are wired, minus the 'dim slightly when lights on' thing though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

It actually is working, it was just that the sun was so bright and the illumination so dim I didn't see it. It was bit grey this morning driving to work and I noticed a faint green aura around the ciggy lighter, so in the immortal words of Bez 'The jobs a good un'.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

You will know how to fix it next time then! I find that for some reason, this fuse has blown several times. I only use the socket for the power adaptors for my TomTom and my mobile phone (the latter has been dead for months). I too wonder if constantly pulling the tray in and out (to remove the ashtray to plug-in the TomTom) has caused a problem.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Hmm, seems to have blown again. Old-Guy, I think you must be clairvoyant.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Old-Guy wrote:You will know how to fix it next time then! I find that for some reason, this fuse has blown several times. I only use the socket for the power adaptors for my TomTom and my mobile phone (the latter has been dead for months). I too wonder if constantly pulling the tray in and out (to remove the ashtray to plug-in the TomTom) has caused a problem.
Once useful way to remove the need to keep pullin the tray in and out is to fit one of those 4 way sockets to the side of the passenger footwell, about where a 12v socket is on S2 cars.
I've got that in Cassy and it's great. The one in Jenny also has LEDs indicating car battery charge too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this one has changed its characteristics somewhat. Fuse had blown again so I replaced it. Wife connected up the satnav and the fuse had blown again. As I was driving I didn't do anything straight away but when I got stuck in traffic I opened the box and pulled out the blown fuse and went to replace it with a new one by sense of touch. Put in the new fuse but as I did so there was a big flash from the fuse area and the fuse blew immediately. Decided to wait until properly parked up to try that again! When we arrived at journey's end I tried again, nothing plugged in to the socket, and attempted to fit a new fuse, same thing - flash! and blown fuse. Just as a sanity check, the fuse goes across the 2 connections in direct line with the column of fuses above it and not across the other 2 connections? If I have that correct then how on earth do I remove the ash tray to get at the rear of the socket?

Ta chaps.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Penguin wrote:how on earth do I remove the ash tray to get at the rear of the socket?
Remove the Torx 20 self tappers holding it in place.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks Dickie, I'll have a look and see if I can find them tomorrow lunchtime.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX