I Need Help Please Citroen Xantia 97, 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hope it is fixed now, but you might have cracked the filter houseing whilst tightening it back up on re/fitting

regards malcolm
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

nah cause it was fine for two days and like i said it has gone back to being quite smokey and a little down on power and the k light is still on
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

so i dont know what to do next i have eliminated the injector sensor and the tdc sensor and now the fuel filter housing

anyone got any other ideas?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ok to recap, please correct anything I've got wrong:

You've run the car with just the needle lift sensor and the rev counter works.

You've run the car with just the crank sensor and the rev counter works.

Fuel filter and housing have been replaced with new filter and unbroken housing and now there is at most only tiny bubbles of air getting in.

You've got lack of power and black smoke.

Have you?

Lifted up the back seat behind the driver's and removed the fuel sender (put cable ties on the fuel lines so they don't fall down the side of the tank, and have new jubilee clips ready to refit them, be careful removing the ring that holds it all in) then checked the mesh filter on it's base as this gets clogged up over the years with dirt etc, and would explain the gunk in the heat exchanger under the fuel filter housing.

Unplugged the small rubber hose that goes from the left electrovavle at the back of the engine bay between the engine and the LHM resevoir. This goes to your egr so best to disable it.

Looked in the stickies section for a lexia near you?
The K light comes on when the ECU can't adjust the timing of the pump, normally because of a problem with the TDC/NL sensors, but can also be due to fuel starvation.
Lexias can check the status of the ECU and pump.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

Hey thanks for the tip i think the EGR is already disconnected as there is a loose vacuum hose near the square LHM tank i couldnt see where it went and the other one goes to the cold start cable.

i will have a look the tank thing check it out tonight if there is enough light.

i live in ross on wye (HR9 5PD) and the nearest lexia is bath looking at the map, thats a long long way to go.
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

ok this is bad now the car just went though £20 worth of fuel in less than 100 miles

that terrible consumption

sorry to be a n00b but wouldnt fuel starvation keep the mpg high?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Black smoke indicates too much fuel for too little air.

Check all air hoses are unrestricted and leak free, including the new air filter you fitted.

You could try disconnecting the boost feed to the fuel pump, taking it for a short drive and noting the difference(s).
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

right have just checked the sender unit was a little bit of gunk now removed.

air lines are all fine seal around the new filter is good and the air flow is great.

boost is now better but still on the low side the balck smoke starts at the turbo's earl end spooling. at hte higher rev it is a more grey- white in colour and no there is no water in oil or oil in water, and no oil in deisel either lol

the k light is still on it still feels like the turbo is kicking in too late

the injector 3 sensor is fine and the TDC sensor is fine and i am pretty sure the EGR is not connected to the vacuum hose,
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We're getting closer to having to head for a lexia to see what's going on inside the pump.

What's the boost like with the pipe disconnected between the flying saucer on the pump and the air trunking?

On the top of the flying saucer, is there a metal cap, which hides the fun/smoke screw, or can you see the 13mm lock nut and 27 torx screw? If you can, is the yellow paint still in tact or does it look like someone's been turning the screw? How deep from the top if the pit it's in is the screw?

How flexible/new are your leakoff pipes between the injectors? If they're stiff at all, replace them. Probably not related to your issues but worth checking anyway.

Can you blow down the fuel return pipe? If not get an air line on it to blow any gunk back to the fuel tank.

Are you free the weekend after next to come to Little Horwood (it's only a 4.5hr round trip) as I'm sure someone at the rally will have a lexia.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

boost is terrible without that pipe on and there is a cap on the flying saucer and looks intact, have removed a little bit of gunk from the tank but im talking no more than the size of a 10p peice.

there is deffinatly no air in the fuel now

there are no leaks round the injector run off pipes.
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

Its running well at the moment power is good now but a lot of black smoke under load still

it is eating through fuel faster that i could eat steak and kidney pies,

its going through it faster than i can put it in and no there are no leaks.

any more suggestions?
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

As a possible temporary solution to the fuel consumption problem, does it smoke all the time or only when you put your foot to the floor? If the latter, try to be gentle with the throttle.

Your basic problem is either 'overfuelling' - too much fuel for the amount of air, or retarded injection (too late for all the fuel to burn).

I think you need to back track to the couple of days when everything was fine (wasn't it?) to work out what's gone wrong again.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
morph_1904

Post by morph_1904 »

it was good before the old filter housing cracked.

new housing and now no air in the fuel and its doing this?!

this car is possessed!

i have even cleaned out thte gauze in the tank!

anyone got a rocket launcher i could borrow i fancy a bonfire with this thing!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Can you do me a favour morph? Can you take a few photo's that show the fuel pump's orientation in relation to the engine? From the wing/side is probably the best angle.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

morph_1904 wrote:it was good before the old filter housing cracked
Ah, then logic dictates the cause could be related and my guess is a fuel restriction causing timing faults. Is it possible for you to buy an inline fuel filter and temporarily bypass the stock filter for testing purposes?