Any1 got pictures of Xantia with 17" wheels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroening wrote:IMO, there's only one Xantia that looks nice with the 17" wheels on here...and that's Dean's!
Absolutely agreed 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

yep, Howard Made a nice job of her, it just needs streamlining a little now :wink: ive been out sprinkling a little barry away on her this evening actualy.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

This one looks vaguely familiar - something about the wheels? ;)

Think they're OEM 16's actually.

Andrew
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'll take the "BOF" line and caution against excessive deployment of the hydraulic pump. Age is causing many to leak; they drip on the alternator and that causes more woes.
Pompey_Dave

Post by Pompey_Dave »

myglaren wrote:
Citroening wrote:IMO, there's only one Xantia that looks nice with the 17" wheels on here...and that's Dean's!

Really nice looking car there! :supercool:
I'll concur with that. I was a bit undecided at first but think it looks great now I've see some more pictures.
What is the best grade oil
Whatever the handbook advises.

Asda have a very good offer on at the moment.

ETA:
No they haven't, finished today :(
i dont have a handbook lol
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Most cars are put out to pasture with good engines, and rotten or damaged coachwork. This suggests you have a pretty good range of oil choices in an older technology engine like the Xantia has. If you go too light, it will just waste oil in blow-by.
Pompey_Dave

Post by Pompey_Dave »

is magnatec a good oil to use?

Also, when it comes to adding wheels and that, im not into making it this big old modified barry boy car, been there, done that. All I want to do is add some nice wheels, maybe the spoiler, and colour code the door handles

Im not going for huge sound system (need that room for the nippers buggy and the dog), body kits, or huge graphics...Its just a case of making it cosmetically tidy really
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

@andmcit (picture of Xantia with genuine alloys) - I want those so much!! Although the non-original ones my Xant has are nice nothin compares to Citroén made originals! I saw in the paper there is a set for £55 (without tyres, came from a car with 34,000 miles on the clock!!). Though I've just had brand new tyres fitted to the alloys I've got already... Would taking them off and on again damage the bead ? (E.G make it more prone to leaking from the bead in later life ?).
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pompey_Dave wrote:is magnatec a good oil to use?
I'm sure it is but the downside of using expensive oils is that many are tempted to drag every mile and more from them.

I don't necessarily advocate that you adopt my policy but with the Xantia, I changed the oil and filters every month. It is so quick and simple and cost very little, the oil was always fresh.
I used Asda 10w40 IIRC. The advice was given by a seasoned mechanic and his advice on everything else was always spot on.

His stance was that as long as the oil complied with the ruling British Standard then it was fine and frequent changes meant it was unlikely to accumulate any significant contamination (water+exhaust gases = acids and other unpleasant compounds)

I still do this but with higher quality oil recommended for the HDi, changed at around half the recommended service interval, sometimes less (2,000 ish miles) if I'm in the mood.
It may not do any good but sure as hell can't do any harm :)

I would say that the Xantia never used any oil but that would be a bit disingenuous as it never had the chance to use any.
The C5 certainly doesn't use any, no top-ups between changes.

I can't remember which mode/year/engine you have but most oil manufacturers will have information specific to your car as far as which grade to choose - you don't have to use theirs of course, it is only the info you need to buy what suits you best.
I think the Citroen recommendation would be for Total/Elf 10w40 or 15w40 but that is little more than guesswork.

Try the Opie Oils website as it is a pretty easy one to navigate.
Click on 'products for my var then follow your nose through the questions to get to your specific vehicle.
Pompey_Dave

Post by Pompey_Dave »

thanks for that, it said 10 40 aswell...Maybe I should of mentioned that it was a 1999 1.8 petrol version.

So, after all this im getting there now, cars getting better and better with all the info ive been gathering and doing all the little jobs needed on the car....But still, im confused as hell as to where the rear window heater switch is haha! I keep getting told its on the dash next to the hazard switch, but the only 4 switches I have on my dash is hazards, air con, traffic master, and the passenger door mirror!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is it on the tip of the RH stalk?
Pompey_Dave

Post by Pompey_Dave »

i have no picture or anything on either of the stalks, although it does look like there is some sort of button to press for maybe the top of the range models (you know where they use the same parts for the base model and the top of the range, but the base model doesnt have that gadget)

Just seems like it doesnt exist, yet its got the heating bars on the window!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Dave, my exclusive had a button that could/should have accessed the trip computer and I cant remember where the rear screen button therefore was..

by my other xantias, all have been that same button on the RH stalk, and once pressed you get a light in the top right corner of the dash.. try it? on my present car, the bulb was blown/missing.. all fine now I have sorted that..
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Adam is correct - the HRW is on the right hand wiper stalk end on the s2's.
In the handbook it says it can only be operated with the engine running!!
It works the rear screen demister and the mirrors. The action of the
HRW lasts 12 minutes apparently! :D

Andrew
Pompey_Dave

Post by Pompey_Dave »

such a strange place to put it lol! Ive been searching for it for ages, as its been a bit misty in the mornings here....Although its not that bad and can cope with it, but I know its bound to get worse, so needed to find it before the weather gets colder in the morning, visability with these cars isnt great as it is lol!