C15 noisy gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave.P

C15 noisy gearbox

Post by Dave.P »

Hi, new member here. I have a C15 van with only 28,000 miles on the clock, problem is the gearbox is very noisy, in neutral with clutch out and engine idling its fine, its only when the vehicle is moving that the noise starts, does it in all gears but when pressing the clutch in to change gear the noise stops until you let the clutch out again, gets slightly louder when revs are higher. Even if i drive at idling speed in first gear the this strange noise is noticable, hard to describe what it sounds like but I know its not normal, anyone know what it could be please?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Have you checked the gearbox oil level?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:Have you checked the gearbox oil level?
I'd be inclined to change it. It's not unknown for garages, through ignorance, to put the wrong stuff in. I've even seen one (my daughter's 206) filled with ATF!

The ONLY oil to use is 75W/80 and the best is Total BV75W/80. Failing that, Comma make a good 75W/80.

The use of any other grade can cause all sorts of problems...

Hopefully then the noise will cease. If not, there is an internal problem, most likely a bearing.

When you drain, critically inspect the old oil for bits of metal and other debris and if the drain plug has a magnet on it, see what's on that.

I once knew a 205 owner who drained a couple of ball bearings out of his gearbox....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome Dave

are you certain its the box and not the clutch thrust bearing, maybe a wheel bearing or even brakes,

so you say its only whilst you are moveing along,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Dave.P

Post by Dave.P »

thanks for the replies everyone, I am wondering if it is the oil, the next problem is how do I check the gearbox oil, I'm assuming theres a filler plug somewhere, I know only too well what happens when you undo the wrong one. Hi Malcolm, its definately transmission related and only happens when the gearbox is under load. I'm near Dumfries in Scotland.
Dave.P

Post by Dave.P »

Gearbox oil changed, here's the old stuff, surely it shouldn't be as dark as this (a browny green colour) :?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looks 'orrible..

And I'm worried about the pile of screws too :lol: :lol:

Thing is, has it helped the noise?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dave.P

Post by Dave.P »

:D thankfully the screws didnt come from the gearbox lol. Unfortunately it hasnt cured the noise, surely the gearbox shouldn't be worn at 28,000 miles, any I'll just keep driving it the way it is and put another gearbox in if/when this one packs up.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thing is Dave, there's noises and noises. Some are good (in that the 'box will soldier on for ever) and some are real harbingers of doom.

Generally if the noise sounds smooth, almost musical and is not jarring then it's of the former sort. One that makes you grit your teeth, jars through your head and is like fingers down a blackboard then it is invariably of the latter sort..
Jim

flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

gearboxes are easy to chame on c15 diesels and not too hard to come by, so I'd stick another one in.
Dave.P

Post by Dave.P »

I think thats what I,ll end up doing, should be some C15 gearboxs at the local salvage. Thanks for the help everyone.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

CitroJim wrote:I once knew a 205 owner who drained a couple of ball bearings out of his gearbox....
Is there a special refill hole for putting the new ball bearings in? ;)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

It's where the sawdust goes!
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension