406 'Rocking'

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AdamJ

NGK?

Post by AdamJ »

Oh well.

I just got back from the local auto store with a set of 4 NGK glowplugs for £27.96.

I asked him for the best quality ones, and those are the ones he gave me. Presumably, he didn't have beru plugs in stock.

But how do I replace them? I have never changed anything on the diesel engine before. I have replaced the spark plugs on a 205 petrol engine many many years ago. I presume it is similar.

But can anyone give me a link to a page with a diagram of a 406 1.9 td lx engine with the glowplugs located on them?

And also, with regards to the process of replacing them in a xantia, is it the exact same engine as in a 406? And how do I know it's a lucas pump? Is this the same as the primer pump/bulb, or something else?

Many thanks.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It will be 99% certainly a Bosch pump, never seen a Lucas pump on a 406. If its got a Lucas pump someone has changed it.

Basically you disconnect the wiring between them and then unscrew them, and replace them and then re-fit the wiring.

Sounds easy, it is mostly, but access is a bit tricky, especially the one behind the pump. Last time I did one I used a telescopic magnet to help.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
AdamJ

Update

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Guys,

replaced the glowplugs yesterday and started up fine this morning.

Many thanks for all the input.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That's good to hear :)

Thanks for posting back to say its fixed, its always nice to know.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG