I hear crickets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citronut wrote:Mike if when lubbing dont us the W stuff it dries things out and dose not lubricate, oribl stuff,
What would you recommend as an alternative, Malcolm?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Adam
your not spozed to put it into lock's because once it get water in there with, it cloggs the tumblers up then you get the urge to shuf more in because the lock is sticking, stuck in a cycle useing more and more of the orible stuff,

Mike
i use duck oil and buy it in a 5lt can, but even that i dont use in external door locks for the same reason as above,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: A main use I find for it, is cleaning my hands "in the field" with a half-decent scrap of rag to assist.
Urrgh :twisted: I wouldn't! Do you know that stuff is virtually all White (Stoddard) Spirit... Say hello to Contact Dermatitis....

I agree with you Malcolm, 'orrible stuff, best off going to your local purveyor of DIY stuff and buy a big bottle of turps and mix a bit of LHM in with it.

Hey presto you have essentially what WD-40 is...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Ah sorry guys I wasn't suggesting WD as a permanent fix. Just spray into the balljoints and if your noise stops, then you've found the culprit. I always think noisy balljoints are doomed and would replace them asap.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no worrys demag i hope we are all freinds on here [-o<

regards malcolm
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Of course Malcolm. :)
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

The crickets are breeding well. During a particularly warm spell, I had both front windows open and heard the chirping equally as loud from the N/S, whereas previously I was convinced it was the O/S. The noise is almost constant when driving straight, any slight left steering will stop it while slight right steering (or centre) will bring it on again.
andmcit wrote:Wheel bolts loosening off!?... Or strut top failing?
I can rule that one out (though again, I'm not sure how to properly gauge the strut tops but they look ok)
Xac wrote:Have you tried gently applying your handbrake to see if that silences it?
Yes it does, as does application of the foot brake.
demag wrote:Balljoints that are starting to dry out will creak. Try squirting some Wd40 under the rubbers.
As I was advised not to use WD40, I've yet to try this - would spray grease be ok or should I use something thinner like light machine oil (3in1)?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Any sort of oil is likely to perish rubber unless it is formulated to cope with it, like steering and CV joint gaiters.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Handbrake silences it, it's your pads rubbing against the discs.

Cassy had this, her handbrake cables were sticking slightly, it's been fine since I replace the cable, although I do need to adjust it soon!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool