Dean's Activa/XM/V6 and now Talbot blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

bxzx16v

Re: Dean's Activa/XM blog

Post by bxzx16v »

Great work Dean, will you be making it to a show with it this year.

Mark

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

That's looking good! Worth all the effort no doubt. Be good to see it at a show

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi gents

Could you listen to these two clips and tell me if the electro valve on the car sounds unhealthy, this is the one on the car

and this is one i had spare which was stripped and cleaned being tested on the cars loom to eliminate any driver issues although I've not heard of any before on Hydractive 1

The full thread and explanation is on clubxm.com, I could copy here if anyone is interested in the whole story

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi all

The noisy electro valve turned out to be because of vibration transmitted to the body by a trapped night pressure pipe that was rubbing against the chassis which was found after dropping the front subframe off to get the electro valve off and fit new arb bushes, these little tweaks have improved things which I was happy about.
The car has had a fair bit of use this summer and is now tucked away for the coming winter season although she is still taxed and insured for those nice salt free sunny winter days so I can get it out to stretch her legs a bit rather than sitting dormant for 4 months untouched.

Due to work and other things going on she has not been touched for 2 months so as we had some good weather Sunday last i thought I would take it out, still starts on the button in the cold after sitting over 8 weeks, not bad for a 23 year old sh!troen :wink:

D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Dean :D Good to see an update here!

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Not been around here for a while........again.
The XM has been behaving since returning to the road and i do wheel it out from time to time, when it comes out it tends to stay out for a few days as i do enjoy driving it, below is a photo of its most recent outing this week.
Imagephoto by Deanxm, on Flickr

A couple of months ago i found that since its return to the road nearly a year ago the strut tops had become less than happy by way of the rubber bonding becoming slightly or completely un-bonded which was only found by chance as my tops had no rust.
ImageSAM_2459 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Thankfully a very nice man in hampshire (John) managed to supply me with two non hydractive nos strut top mounts, the difference in the original on the right and the non hydractive on the left is fairly evedent.
ImageSAM_2440 by Deanxm, on Flickr

The non hydractive tops were modified by gradually drilling the fluid port out to 14.5mm dia and matching depth to the Hydractive unit and then cutting a 16mm x 1.5mm thread, transformation complete!
ImageSAM_2443 by Deanxm, on Flickr
ImageSAM_2447 by Deanxm, on Flickr
ImageSAM_2457 by Deanxm, on Flickr

The result was rather pleasing to say the least, a drivable car is always better than a full scale dinky toy.
ImageIMG_20160112_170528 by Deanxm, on Flickr

While the car was being rested i took the opotunity to replace the bottom ball joints with a little help of course
ImageIMG_20160110_161454 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Hope your all keeping well!

D

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Nice work Dean , the Xm is looking nice in the pic .

Mark

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dean, that's fantastic! Excellent!

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

What a great job, well done

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Well done, Dean! Proper engineering!!!

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

It was proper engineering, i used my lump hammer for most of it so it was done right :lol:

Thanks gents, thanks to John it worked out well, it wasnt all rosey as with a standard hss drill it cut the seat of the port at too steep an angle, this meant the flare on the pipe would only seat on the outside edge and would weep slightly, i bodged solved this by putting an 'O' ring on the seat and it sealed up a treat, ive covered nearly 400 miles since this and all is dry and well.

Im kind of hoping it will break soon as it is fun fixing things but its soldiered on rather nicely since it went back into service last spring, im toying with buying a really crusty early 2.0i thats over here as a project, not sure what i would do with it if i did though 8-[

D

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Imagephoto(15) by Deanxm, on Flickr
Summer is just around the corner!

D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gorgeous!

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Walking away from a nice XM is one of,my real auto regrets, just as walking away from a nice CX......

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Xantianut wrote:Walking away from a nice XM is one of,my real auto regrets, just as walking away from a nice CX......
But you ended up with Otterchops, so all is well that ended well.