Dean's Activa/XM/V6 and now Talbot blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4896
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
x 15

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Deanxm wrote:oh its much worse now, much much worse :lol:
So I take it you are now in possession of the slowest Activa on the planet :lol:
No! some of them are now just ornaments :lol:
Don't you mean a lot of them? :lol:

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
DickieG wrote: So I take it you are now in possession of the slowest Activa on the planet :lol:
No! some of them are now just ornaments :lol:
Don't you mean a lot of them? :lol:
Well, perhaps, once they had been scrapped, melted down and recycled into an ornament :roll:

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4896
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
x 15

Post by DickieG »

I wonder when an Activa has been melted into an ornament whether it stands level on the shelf? For many it could be the first time in years :lol:

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 44009
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1779

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:? For many it could be the first time in years :lol:
LOL at that :D

Mine's practically an ornament. Going in for the MOT today... Looking at the old certificate I've done less than 2500 miles in it in the past year :roll:

And that's NOT due to reliability issues either, before anyone asks... :wink:

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 42

Post by Deanxm »

DickieG wrote:
Deanxm wrote:oh its much worse now, much much worse :lol:
So I take it you are now in possession of the slowest Activa on the planet :lol:
yes is the short answer to that, ive been holding little old ladies up when coming off the line, on the upside ive been getting some fantastic economy out of her :lol:

D

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote:? For many it could be the first time in years :lol:
LOL at that :D

Mine's practically an ornament. Going in for the MOT today... Looking at the old certificate I've done less than 2500 miles in it in the past year :roll:

And that's NOT due to reliability issues either, before anyone asks... :wink:
Mine has done 4000 in the last year, high mileage :lol:

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Post by KP »

I think i did that in less than 2 months in mine when i get the new tyres fitted :D

You guys are turning into collectors, you'll soon be looking for barns to store them in or churchs ;) :p

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Post by Citroenmad »

KP wrote: You guys are turning into collectors, you'll soon be looking for barns to store them in or churchs ;) :p
Hmm, now there is an idea :D

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 44009
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1779

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:You guys are turning into collectors, you'll soon be looking for barns to store them in or churchs ;) :p
I'm always after one as I'd love to be able to wrap my Activa in cotton wool and tuck it up snugly in a warm garage for the winter...

Shame is, they're like rocking horse poo around these parts :(

I'm not in any way religious but even then there's someting faintly wrong about using a church for car storage... I'm blessed if I'd do it...

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Post by KP »

LOL, to be honest Jim id be happy to use one as they are often converted to homes these days :)

If you find one up my way let me know as i don't mind going and having a nose over it for you or dropping it down to you and training it back :)

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 42

Post by Deanxm »

Right, back to project xm, briefly.

I picked up where i left it last time with getting the rear subframe mounts off, that was easy enough now ive been tiold where the nuts are! underneath the mount everything looks clean but the strengthening plate was hiding a nasty secret so i set to work drilling out the spot welds that hold it in place
Image
CIMG3482 by Deanxm, on Flickr
good eh........... the spot welds dont do the rust treat,ent any favours and since it developes between the strengthener and the chassis rails once it starts im sure it will spread like wild fire
Image
CIMG3484 by Deanxm, on Flickr
Here is the rear mount and strengthener removed from the car, i will make a new strengthening plate as they are easy enough to cut out and i have some 1/8" steel sheet, tomorrow i will do the other side as it not as bad but since ive gone this far.............
Image
CIMG3480 by Deanxm, on Flickr

Now with darkness setting in i decided to retreat to the shed and inspect the A/C condenser and remove the mounting plate since finding a new one is prooving very difficult.
Image
CIMG3487 by Deanxm, on Flickr
Image
CIMG3489 by Deanxm, on Flickr
Image
CIMG3493 by Deanxm, on Flickr
looks very pitted under where the steel bracket was, i will make up a way of connecting it to the compressor and when swmbo is out i will submerge it in the bath and pressure test it to see where the leak is, silver solder will repair it if just pinholed, fingers crossed.

D

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19835
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 1529

Post by myglaren »

Deanxm wrote: looks very pitted under where the steel bracket was, i will make up a way of connecting it to the compressor and when swmbo is out i will submerge it in the bath and pressure test it to see where the leak is, silver solder will repair it if just pinholed, fingers crossed.

D
Tell her it is advanced testing of a whirlpool bath :)

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 42

Post by Deanxm »

:lol: it may look just like that you never know.

D

User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 7810
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 23:03
x 463

Post by xantia_v6 »

Deanxm wrote:Now with darkness setting in i decided to retreat to the shed and inspect the A/C condenser and remove the mounting plate since finding a new one is prooving very difficult.
http://www.polar-aircon.co.uk/ list the XM condenser at an eye-watering £234 +VAT

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 42

Post by Deanxm »

i hadnt actualy seen that but £270 isnt really an option yet :shock: there is another site that lists the R12 condenser at £98 but they are out of stock, Aep had one advertised on the back of the last months citronian but when i phoned nobody could find it and kept coming up with R134a condensers.

Thanks for pointing it out though at least i now know where there is one

D