depresurising C5 suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Can these calipers be swaped side to side the same as the Xantia ? john
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

RichardW wrote:For reasons best known to themselves, Citoen Loctited the bolts into the calipers on C5s :twisted: Application of some (er, maybe a lot!) of heat on the calipers should allow you to get them out.
According to Haynes, when you refit the caliper, you should use the following:

Loctite 270 thread lock plus Loctite 7649 Activator on the bolts
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/270%20OLD-EN.PDF
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/7649-EN.pdf

Formajoint 510 on the caliper suspension arm face.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/510-EN.pdf

Both the bolts and caliper face can corrode and that makes them difficult to remove so adding some sort of sealant should reduce or stop water / salt getting in and thus stop the corrosion.

I removed the corrosion from behind the calipers on my C5 recently and the threadlock / sealant on the bolts didn't make them difficult to undo. Instead it made them very difficult to remove from the caliper, in the end I got them out but it took a lot of effort. After you get the bolts out, a 10m drill bit can be used to clean out the remaining gunge, hand power only unless you want to risk the caliper / threads in the suspension arm.boltholes
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:spent all mornning geting them oooout, ended up checking if local dealer had them in stock, then driftted them out tight to the last,

when i collected the 4 new bolts was told they dont even bother trying to salvage C5 rear callipers, they just scrap the calliper/s and bolts and fit new at 160 quid a time, and he said they sell hundreds of the bolts,

regards malcolm
Typical dealer trick, £160 + labour and VAT rather than £20 to refurbish them and fit new bolts.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what he said Steve was they feel it works out cheaper to just fit new calliper/s and bolts every time, instead of spending hours at there rate trying to undo the bolts,

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

It is always best to regularily remove the C5s rear callipers and clean them up, really every service would be good to avoid the corrosion problem.

I have new discs, pads and callipers, along with the bolts, ready to fit on our C5 SX. Hopefully they wont be too hard to remove, it had a new set at around 60K so now another 60K on and its due again.

My C5 VTR had new rear discs, pads and callipers just before i bought the car, the bill was for £400!
myglaren wrote::offtopic:

I have just been to IKEA with daughter/grandson to buy a new bed and bedroom furniture. She was doubtful about the C5's ability to handle the weight and the capacity to contain it all.

No problem at all and I swear the suspension was hugely improved by all the extra weight, something I have noticed before when overloading it to the max.

Just floated along like a proper Citroen!
(Slowly - no turbo until 3,00 revs :( )

/ :offtopic:
Our C5 estate is always loaded to the max, as it carries a lot of heavy boxes for my dads job. It does ride much better with the load in than without, but the handling is not effected. It does 1500 miles a month with no problems at all.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the one i am working on there is no corrosion on the bolts at all and just a small trace between the calliper and arm,

i left the calliper, disc, back plate and ABS sensor attatched/pluged in on the O/S whilst doing the rear arm bearings, after the anisiation into C5 rear callipers on the N/S, :yikes:

regards malcolm