Just Bought a 96 P Reg Xantia VSX TD - suspension question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

This is amazing!! How do you know his name is paul?? Or did I miss that bit, and how do you know its North wales?? from Pj guitarWales.. thats good judgement :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious point, you can test the state of the regulator reletivly easyilly..

start the car up let it settle in its normal ride height, then stop the engine, but leave the ignition on, move the height leverto the TOP or fully UP position, if your regulator sphere is anygood there WILL be enough in resverve to move the car up!! The better the regulator the more it will move.. Obviously it wont go anywere near as much as when the engine is running, it it may move the front up a bit!!

If theres no movement, then the sphere is truely dead, and needs changing asap to avoid undue strain on the regulator unit, and wearing the end seal..

Were in North Wales if thats were you are?? You can guess my location from my web site address in my signiture! :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
PjGuitarWales

Post by PjGuitarWales »

Haha not a million miles away mate.. im in the holywell region :wink:

good tips on tests thankyou ive been mad since i got the car with family issues and lessons... and tonight ive got a gig in the wirral so shooting off shortly will try it all out tomorrow if i ever get any peace

cheers again we will have to have a yarn at somepoint
PJW
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Just a tip that with a hydroactive car, the normal tests of an accumulator sphere (tick rate and suspension rising after switch off) are not always accurate, as a leaky hydroactive valve can drain the accumulator very quickly. Leaky here means an internal leak to the return pipe, not a puddle on the ground. After 100,000 miles or so, leaky hydroactive valves are quite common, but don't seem to harm the performance of the suspension.
PjGuitarWales

Post by PjGuitarWales »

Hi guys

Been held up somewhat... missus and mum bothe very ill with different things so have my hands full with the kids and work somewhat.

The car behaves favorably in the tests you have all suggested....

I decided to start my attempt at stopping the ticking by checking the fluid level of the lhm. The floater was well beneath the two rings. Hence I think... right... must get LHM..... but as you may or may not have already know this seems impossible!

Can anybody direct me to a supplier or recommend a good brand..... I have seem some total stuff branded citroen on ebay but it is in 1 litre bottles and is labelled LHM PLUS.

For anyone who may know my locality im in north wales near to the border so north west england is easily delved.

Old guy... money should be with you soon if not already mate cheers
PJW
PjGuitarWales

Post by PjGuitarWales »

Just reailsed im typing in pigeon english sorry.... typing too quick tryin to do too much at once again
PJW
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

PjGuitarWales wrote:typing too quick tryin to do too much at once again
Tell me about it :roll: No worries about the pigeon English. Looks OK to me!

The line is drawn at txt spk tho on ere...

Total LHM PLUS is very good stuff and is/was used by Citroen as the original fill. Basically any LHM PLUS is OK as there is a very stringent specification that must be adhered to.

Buy as much as you can!

Remember to check/top up only on high setting. Level is correct when the "coolie hat" is between the two rings.

It won't have any effect on your tick rate though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PjGuitarWales

Post by PjGuitarWales »

Thanks mate i was just worried as there are some other brands of lhm knocking about it seems but thought that it was perhaps best looking for the branded stuff... just thinking down the lines that most people tend to prefer quality name lube oil as its proven to be better.... thought perhaps a similar thing applies with lhm.

Appreciate your comment on the ticking i realise it wont effect that by topping up but felt that it needed to be the right level for me to get it up to spec for me to start looking at slowing the tickin rate.

no joy on the hydractive button though it seems to have no effect and i have no dashboard indication of it when i press the button....

now have the haynes manual so maybe i should trace the wiring

:?

thanks again for swift response
PJW
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

EuroCarParts, GSF, AEP, OPIE Oils are all sources for LHM, Most motor factors and car spares shops around here have it. Halfords used to but not sure about them any more - there is always the dealer, they aren't always outrageously priced.