Correct Oil for a ZX Turbo Diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AthlonZX
My Cars:

Correct Oil for a ZX Turbo Diesel?

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi everyone
Just coming up to my first oil change and was wondering what's the best stuff to use. I've spent a good four hours replacing all the clips and seals on the oil filler tube which had been leaking oil down the front of the engine [:(]. I've always used magnetec in my petrols, but the diesel stuff is 10w 40 graded (it states everywhere that I've read oil in ZX turbos must be 15w 50 and there are no alternatives) Being unsure about how the grades work I'm not sure what to do.
Also I've noticed that the engine seems a little corser through the cabin as of late. If I hold the engine at about 1200 rpm it booms through the cabin really loudly and resonates the car When I'm driving with my hand on the gear leaver, I sometimes feel a light snatch when lifting off or accelerating. I dont here any noise or clunking when it happens though Could it bee my engine mounts or is this just a characterstic? What kinda mileage do they go at?
It's also developed a knock (much like the sound you here when the drop links go on a BX/Xantai) from the rear passanger side of suspension. When I bounce the car I cant get it to do it. It also knocks while under heavy braking (ie a sharp brake off a motorway etc)
Sorry for so much in one post [:)]
Cheers
AthlonZX (Dave) Citroen ZX Aura Turbo K-1993
115247 [;)] miles
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hm, well the recommended oil by Citroen is Quartz 5000 diesel which is a 15W40.
I actually use Quartz 7000 semi synthetic which is 10W40, and have done so in the 3 ZX TD's I've owned.
The newer generation DW8 and HDi engines, which are very similar to the XUD series in the bottom end must use either 10W40 semi or 5W40 fully synthetic according to the owners handbook (thats how they stretch the service interval to a 10,000 oil change methinks).
Your other problem, check the RH top engine mounting, they have a nasty habit of breaking on the TD if driven enthusiastically. Remove the top engine mount bracket above the cam belt to check this.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Thanks for your advice Jon I'll do my oil change this weekend and let everyone know how it goes. Oh btw, looks like my hard work and effort was worthwhile on the oil filler tube...as I'm still loosing oil over the front of the engine[B)] lol
Cheers
AthlonZX (Dave) Citroen ZX Aura Turbo K-1993
115252 [;)] miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
The oil filler tube - is this the same as on the BX XUD's ?
Then you have an O-ring that the tube slides over on the filler stud.
This O-ring flattens over time - leaking oil out badly.
Also the oil tube (plastic) may be cracked in this area.
I found on MY XUD that a new & somewhat larger gauge O-ring, together with a wormclip on the tube solved the leak.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi AndersDk
I havent had any experience working on BX XUD engines (the only BX I have access to is a Citroen BX 16valve which is quite a bit different in design). I replaced the oil seal inside the base of the tube but it appears that the problem is persisting.
I've tracked the problem back to the top crank cover breather hose, which oil is running down the back of (and onto the rocker cover in places...and then seems to stop and go nowhere). I realised it's running down the back of the hose, and thus down the oil filler tube where it collects at the bottom of the block [:)]. I'm replacing all the hoses round this area because I'm not happy with the general condition of them anyway [:)]. If that doesnt work I'll try using a wider seal as you suggest on the base of the tube [:D]
Will keep you all posted. I'm also investigating my top engine mount at the suggestion of Jon, has anyone else ever experienced what I'm experiancing in that area with the vibration at low revs?
Cheers
Athlon ZX (Dave) Citroen ZX Aura Turbo K-1993
115290 [;)] miles
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Before you get too worried about the increased engine noise AND the clonk from the rear, take a look at your exhaust system - my experience is that a rusted rear box/pipe can place the system under abnormal stress which partly increases the noise transmitted to the body and could account for your clonk as well.
//NiSk
shezads

Post by shezads »

I changed over to 5w40 fully synthetic for my zx td.(Halfords own brand - which is rebranded version of one of the major comapnies (Texaco I think)) . Runs fine. Previously I think the last owner had used 10w40 mineral oil. I used engine flush before changing - has run fine for last 6000, now due another oil change, and I'am off to Halfords as they have 1/3 off all their own brand oils at the moment! [:)]
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Athlonzx I have the same sounding noise from my rear end (car rear end that is). I think it is my rear mounts but haven't got round to checking yet. When I brake from say 70 approaching roundabout those yellow lines they put down on the approach when you hit a bump the back end really thumps. Same if you hit any bumps under hard braking I get loud hollow sounding thumps from the rear. Also when the rear suspension hits certain kinds of bumps in the road you hear an unusual noise from the rear like the thumping under braking but not as loud. NB it made this noise since I got it both before the old exhaust fell off (literally) and after the new one was fitted. Spare wheel has been removed, then refitted tight etc nothing loose in boot so I'm sure it's the mounts (hope it is I'm fecked if I know what it is if it isn't!). Also rear wheel bearings are new and tyres have correct pressures.
Guru Meditation
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Guru - Your problem sounds like the rear Anti-Roll bar droplinks are worn. I'd certainly check these before messing with the subframe mounts. They make quite a noise over bumps when they're worn, I had a similar problem with a Nissan Primera a few years ago.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Didn't think the ZX has rear anti roll bar drop links?? The anti roll bar is inside the suspension cross tube at the rear. S'pose it could be the front drop links but I swear I only hear this noise from the rear of the car.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

A dull thud type noise is the rear subframe rear mounts, a hard heavy knock is the rear subframe front mounts, plenty been said about them including how to test and find which one is the culprit, so get searching[;)]
Dave