Xantias - a dying breed...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mum and dad used to have a traveller :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I agree that modern cars are now becoming throwaway items. Buy them new and cheap and throw them away when they break down. Sometimes, the decision to throw away is made for you as well. I knew somebody who bought a small, cheap car, made in Korea I think, for 6000 pounds new. He put 60K miles on it, in three years, and just after the three year warranty came to an end, the engine blew up. The quote to bring an engine from Korea and fit it in this country was 3500 pounds. He scrapped the car.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Just out of interest, what happens to XUD engines when they get to 300,000 miles? Can they be refurbished or are they worn out?

Somebody once told me that ZX's have plastic bonnets. Is that true or not? Do any Citroen cars have plastic bonnets?

Paul
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Some Bx's do - others are steel! :? Xantiae saloon/estate have a fibreglass
tailgate even with bonded glass into them.

Andrew
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The plastic panels of the BX which faded badly in sunlight did so much damage to the Citroen brand in the middle east.

As for the XUD, I had read about a Swansea taxi driver who's 405 had clocked over 1,000,000 miles.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

the_weaver wrote:Just out of interest, what happens to XUD engines when they get to 300,000 miles? Can they be refurbished or are they worn out?

Somebody once told me that ZX's have plastic bonnets. Is that true or not? Do any Citroen cars have plastic bonnets?

Paul
They are probably not worn out but the rest of the car is :D
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

the_weaver wrote:Just out of interest, what happens to XUD engines when they get to 300,000 miles? Can they be refurbished or are they worn out?l
I'll get back to you on that one, just give me a few years :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

My ZX is at 217K miles. Looks like I've got some work to do to beat that 1 million miles figure. Some people turn back the mileage clock to increase the car's value, with XUD's people are more likely to turn the clock forward to get into the record books. That's how it should be.

Paul
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

the_weaver wrote:My ZX is at 217K miles. Looks like I've got some work to do to beat that 1 million miles figure. Some people turn back the mileage clock to increase the car's value, with XUD's people are more likely to turn the clock forward to get into the record books. That's how it should be.

Paul
We saw a mint BX today at Gaydon which had something like 240k on the clock!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

This is quite common with me :D : CX 25DTR turbo Safari - 266,000, '96 XM 21.td estate - 292,000 both when sold, my present red XM estate around 265,000, I haven't seen it lately as my son drives it, and my low miler, the white estate at 156,000, the last one I sold, the black hatch was coming up to 200,000.

I would be very dissapointed if they wouldn't do that sort of mileage, thats one of the many reasons for owning them 8-)

Peter
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Found this thread after posting my wanted ad - made me smile - I'm not mad after all!

My Xantia HDi Exclusive is starting to worry me - just how much longer will it keep going with nothing but basic maintenance?! Currently on 230,000 and have just had a crank pulley fail (my own fault for not replacing it when it started rattling months ago). Only a couple of electrical maladies and even the AC still works.

A mate's S-reg Exclusive clocked over 320,000 and it wasn't the engine that failed.
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Change the oil every 5000 miles and it will go until it falls to bits :D

Oh, HDi you said :? :shock:
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Yahuh - only the 8v remember...
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

What I like about the XUD is that even when they've done 200K+ miles they still do the same miles per gallon as when they were new. That's a big difference to a lot of petrol engines which seem to give (much) poorer fuel economy as they get older. It means that an old ZX is a great car for commuting.

Paul
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its obvious that Xantias will be dwindling in their numbers. A lot of people want the most modern and newest car now and once a old car starts causing a few problems then that it, its thrown away for a new one.

In some ways i see why this is, a lot of people dont want the hassle of car repairs and somehting which is under warranty, perhaps with a 3 year servicing offer and a car which offers increased safety is probably appealing to many people. As the warranty comes up to expire they simple swap it in for a new car again. I know a lot of people who do this, though they are not heavily into cars.

So i guess a lot of Xantias have been lost through the scrappage scheme ...

And yes scrapage scheme cars could be broken for parts ... i remember reading that what was the use of this scrappage scheme, if engines could be taken out of scrapped cars and put into others to keep them on the road. I didnt agree with this, nor do i agree that scrapping an old car for a new one makes any sense. There are a lot of good cars in my local scrapyard which are just sat in one piece, which must have come through the scheme. There must be about 7 Ford Pumas, all in a solid state with no body problems. A lovely HDi Exclusive Xantia is there too, nothing appears to be wrong with it, its not been crashed, but its there. Shame.
red_dwarfers wrote:
the_weaver wrote:My ZX is at 217K miles. Looks like I've got some work to do to beat that 1 million miles figure. Some people turn back the mileage clock to increase the car's value, with XUD's people are more likely to turn the clock forward to get into the record books. That's how it should be.

Paul
We saw a mint BX today at Gaydon which had something like 240k on the clock!
We did, a very early MK1 petrol, it looked extremely original and very low mileage, until i looked at the clocks. The owner had owned the car for around 20 years.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10