Noisy Xantia HDI Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:They will interchange, but then you'll have a clutch release issue.. :o
And gearchange issues and driveshaft issues and hub issues and a gearbox so tall the 90 HDi will struggle to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

They ill interchange but not in any real meaningfully practical way...

I'm assuming right through this thread that it's the 110 ML5 we're dealing with and normally that 'box is as tough as tungsten. That there's this one and mine exhibiting noise at idle and in neutral I'll be curious to know the cause... As soon as I pull mine off I'll strip it and see.

Meanwhile, although it drives me up the wall it doesn't seem to be harmful - he says with crossed fingers and a black cat on his lap...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Noisy Xantia HDI Gearbox

Post by myglaren »

I like my Tosh :)

Try Slimbrowser.
I haven't used it for ages but it used to be good.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dannyboy wrote:any advice from the experienced bods would be appreciated. ..........Tks in advance................dannyboy
Dannyboy, did you overcome this? I've just helped do a 110 HDI Clutch and it's a jolly tight squeeze but the gearbox will come out. It's jolly tricky but it will...

If not all now sorted, I'll give you some advice on the job over and above what I've just written in my blog...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Hi from Finland!

Just for info, I´ve had this 110bhp Xantia HDi for five years. My clutch has had this noise all the time (237000->370000km), and I have done nothing for it. One professional told me that the noise comes from springs in the clutch and there´s nothing one can or should do about it if everything works ok. I´ve even tuned the engine a bit (to 130bhp) and there hasn´t been any sign of clutch / gearbox -problems what so ever. So personally I think changing gearbox is a bit overkill in this situation. :wink:

BTW, Xantia is also a great car for winter, we´ve had minus 30C here over a week and everything just works. Xantia was even selected as "Winter car of the year" in 1995 in finnish "Tekniikan Maailma" -car magazine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantippa wrote:Hi from Finland!
Welcome Xantippa :-D :-D :-D :-D

We love the 110 HDi here in the UK too :-D That is good to hear that your gearbox/clutch has been rattling a long time with no ill effects. I've only been running my HDi for about 3000 Km but in that time the noise has grown no worse and I'm starting to worry less about it :)

I do have a spare gearbox and clutch ready to fit should things get bad...

Minus 30 degrees, now that's cold! We think its very cold at minus 5 around these parts and now we have about 3cm of snow and everything has stopped working!!!
Jim

Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Ive also had the same gearbox/clutch noise for the last 40k miles in my hdi, it hasn't got any worse so no need to worry about it too much.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Brigsygtt wrote:no need to worry about it too much.
I'm worrying less about it each day Brigsy :-D
Jim

DanielXantia
New User

Post by DanielXantia »

Hi from Argentina, sorry for my poor english...
My Xantia (110 HDi year 2000) had the same gearbox noise and I need to know if any have a solution or the root cause of the noise in gearbox.
Thanks in advance.
Daniel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I do not know the root cause Daniel because I've not heard of one failing yet despite the noise!

They will rattle on for years and it's nothing to worry about...
Jim