c5 2.2HDI exclusive are they all bad? What to look for

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

An interesting thread this has turned out to be. I agree with most but disagree with some, however ...

I mentioned the FAP as this can cause problems on the 2.2, not really bad problems as all cars will need the fluid topping up or the filter replacing or cleaning. This is one reason i like the 2.0 as it does without that.

The only reason i would consider the 2.2 is because its easier to get hold of in higher spec, Exclusive and Exclusive SE, though every C5 has a high spec and as long as a car has air con, electric windows and central locking, and all C5s do, then im more than happy. The extra kit is nice but im not sure if id change from a 2.0 just for a few more toys which i might have to fix in the future. The 2.0 would offer similar power with a remap.

As for a car only being good for 4-5 years or 100K this does not sit well with me. If your theory is right then the long warranties offered by Toyota and Hyundai (5 years/100K) or Kia (7 years) is going to cost them a fortune in repairs. I dont think so, if they are looked after and are a good design to begin with (unlike renault 1.9DCis for example) then they will go very well, yes there might be some problems along the way but im sure they will prove reliably on the whole. I bet there are many many more people on here with high mileage cars than people with stories of their higher mileage or 5 year+ cars becomming unusable.

I do usually try and go for a lower mileage car, just because there is less wear and tear on the interior or whatever. But i have no doubt that the mechanicals are good for many many miles. Indeed the same problems can be had with a new or low mileage car than they can a older or higher mileage car.

Not everyone chooses to spend vast amounts on cars, and buying a new car every two years is often bad money management, as the money they lose is vast. Again this is money based but who wants to be losing money.

As for reliability, i think the C5s are excellent, in general. You do seem to get good cars which dont ail much and bad cars which pick up every problem. WHy that might be in not sure but its not always age or mileage dependant.

I got a silly bargain with my first C5, I bought it last year from a FCF member who offered me it for the trade in price he had been offered by a dealer to upgrade to a 2.2 173bhp C5. I was looking to spend more on a C5 but when this came up i couldnt resist. I knew it had been well looked after through its life and knew it had ailed very little problems. So March 2009 i bought it, 52reg 2.0HDi 110 SX with 108K miles for £1200. Its now done 124K miles and it has been hassle free, the interior is spotless as is the exterior. It just goes and goes, never uses a drop of oil or coolent between changes, it always performs brilliantly. Im sure even now id get more than i paid for it.

Late last year i looked around for somehting else, im not brand loyal so i had a wide selection of cars i thought id look at. Everytime i found something i liked i would go to the specific forum and find out if or what the common faults were. It was very hard finding somehting i liked and which had a reasonable owners report through forums. PSA diesels are among the best there is and its shown by so many other manufacturers using the engines. So i got another C5 and im extremely happy with it. Nothing else could rival the ride anyway. Often cars are dull and boring but i find the C5 interests me. Id possibly have bought a Jap car if i wanted outright reliability but a good mix of reliability and somehting which interested me was what i was after.

I would like to upgrade to a facelifted C5 HDi at some point, so it would have a FAP filter, though that wouldnt bother me too much. I know cars have their problems, but the C5 doesnt deserve the poor reliability reputation it often carries.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
monkfish
My Cars:

c5

Post by monkfish »

well im more than pleased with my c5 2.2 138bhp outside in almost as new condition the inside in a brill condition all the kit i want by the way its a sx mpg good for such a big car no engine problems as reliable as they come the only bad points are getting ripped off by the local main stealer for 1200 quid when i put in for a main service never again and the normall light switch problem wich i fixed for nothing so all in i am a realy pleased with my c5 :lol:
c5 2.2 hdi sx
xantia 1.8 sx
bx 1.9 gti 8v
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

KevMayer wrote:My experience of my C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE hatchback is...

The sat nav is great. I prefer it to my portable NAVMAN S80. Although this did pack up. The graphics card type module failed. Citroen wanted £1200 for a new one but I got it repaired by a German electronics company for £450. It's now still working great and you can downlaod new maps for free off the internet.
Hi Kev, any chance of a link to these free maps?
John
C5 HDI 110 SX 122000 ESTATE
C5 HDI 2.2 2003 EXCLUSIVE ESTATE 151000 MILES
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Citroenmad wrote:An interesting thread this has turned out to be. I agree with most but disagree with some, however ...

As for a car only being good for 4-5 years or 100K this does not sit well with me. If your theory is right then the long warranties offered by Toyota and Hyundai (5 years/100K) or Kia (7 years) is going to cost them a fortune in repairs.
I did not say that the car was only good for 4-5 years I said that it's designed life was only four years or 100K and no I don't like it either but it is what most manufacturers design for.

Toyota and Hyundai are taking a step in the right direction and it should not necessarily cost them anything.
If a manufacturers takes a view that a longer warranty period / life of his product is a marketable proposition all he has to do is to use slightly higher spec components that will last for the required period, this will increase the cost of the new vehicle but in return for increasing the warranty period that may cost him little if the purchaser is prepared to pay a slightly higher price for the product or conversley the manufacturer is prepared to accept a slightly lower profit per unit in return for a higher number of units sold.
There are many ways of skinning this particular cat but it should not automatically increase warranty cost it might actually reduce them.
I dont think so, if they are looked after and are a good design to begin with (unlike renault 1.9DCis for example) then they will go very well, yes there might be some problems along the way but im sure they will prove reliably on the whole. I bet there are many many more people on here with high mileage cars than people with stories of their higher mileage or 5 year+ cars becomming unusable.
Your'e probably right people with cars 5+ years that are unusable havn't got much to write about :-)

But my point was / is that basically at 4 yrs or 100k ish the car is at the end of it's designed life and from that point on you can expect to throw money at it, not so much if DIY but a whole lot more if using garages and some of the potential problems can be very expensive.
Whether a purchaser of a car of this age gets hit with big bills depends on many things but IMHO luck certainly is a big part of that however competent and knowledgeable the buyer.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Citroenmad wrote:I got a silly bargain with my first C5, I bought it last year from a FCF member who offered me it for the trade in price he had been offered by a dealer to upgrade to a 2.2 173bhp C5. ............. Im sure even now id get more than i paid for it.
If I'd have known you would have paid more....

Checking the trade in price for my 2.2 twin turbo, I haven't lost much value despite putting 25k on the clock. C5's don't depreciate so badly when they reach a sensible age.

Next time I sell to a FCF or CCC member I'll put a no profit when you resell clause in!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

bencowell wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I got a silly bargain with my first C5, I bought it last year from a FCF member who offered me it for the trade in price he had been offered by a dealer to upgrade to a 2.2 173bhp C5. ............. Im sure even now id get more than i paid for it.
If I'd have known you would have paid more....

Checking the trade in price for my 2.2 twin turbo, I haven't lost much value despite putting 25k on the clock. C5's don't depreciate so badly when they reach a sensible age.

Next time I sell to a FCF or CCC member I'll put a no profit when you resell clause in!
:lol: I think we will have the SX for many years to come, so im not bothered about resale value!

Well i hope you do sell to to a FCF member again, as i wouldn't mind your 2.2 173 from you 8-)

C5s are a good bargain usually, an awful lot of good car for a good price. They lost a lot in the first few years but the S1 & 2 have slowed down in depreciation now. I saw an 07 reg 1.8 16v VTR for sale in a dealer yesterday, £6,495, seemed expensive for a 1.8!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10