Xantia V6 Cutting out and Starting Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The green sensor should be in the region of 3.6k ohms at 20 degrees C and 350ohms at 90 degrees C
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

DHallworth wrote:Part number given to me by Citroen Glasgow was 133891.

I should also say it was £31 + VAT so will be about £38.

Are they the same between Petrols & Diesels?
Sorry, it seems not. 133383 was mine. 10.76 +vat.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I managed to source a sensor from Euro Car Parts for £21 including VAT.

It'll be here tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll sort it!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I rang euro car parts in Glasgow on Wednesday and quoted them the part number given to me by Citroen.

They said that they could get me one next day from the warehouse in Wembley.

Trade price for the sensor was 21 quid including VAT.

Fitted it last night and what an unbelievable difference it has made, it's totally transformed the car!

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Hmmm, was using this car on Saturday to take it to MOT.

When driving since I replaced that sensor I seem to occasionally get the Stop lamp coming on with the temperature warning light. The fans seem to be running flat out a lot more often then they used to as well so wondering if the brown sensor isn't giving a true reading either.

Temperature pin is constantly sitting at the middle position where it has always sat.

Looks like another session with the Lexia and possibly another new sensor.

(Sailed it's MOT though!)

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I've just had the Lexia on the car trying to find out if a sensor was giving a duff reading to cause the fans to be running all of the time.

The only coolant temperature reading that I can find is the one that matches the temperature pin on the dashboard. This I think is the green one as it was giving me a reading of 30 before, now I've replaced that it's matching up with the dials again.

I've got an intermittent fault with the air con control ciruitry on this car and the cooling fans running at full speed all of the time with the car running. Then when the engine is switched off it will run at half speed for a while before coming to a halt.

Also, the stop light and red dot on the temperature pin seem to be on most of the time as well.

Does it sound like my Bitron sensor is knackered as well?

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Perhaps not knackered David.

There are two possibilities, either the Bitron sensor (or the wiring to it) has gone open-circuit or the plug on the Bitron ECU is a bit grubby.

If the Bitron sensor goes open then the system is designed to run the fans at top speed as a fail-safe. better than overheating.

The bad news is this: The Bitron sensor is screwed into the rear bank plumbing under the throttle body and it's a pig to get to. Secondly it has a strange wiring arrangement with (I think) two connectors in close proximity. A brown connector plugs into the sensor and this is on a short flylead to another connector by the top of the gearbox, black if I recall properly and it's there to make testing easy. It's not a standard connector and more of a curvy, more modern sort.

The other bad news is that if the sensor and wiring checks out then the Bitron ECU is buried down under the N/S headlamp and is accessible only after removing both the front bumper and the black plastic moulding beneath it :twisted:

You may catch a glimpse of the Bitron without practically dismantling the whole car but that is all you'll get.

Chances are it's the sensor or the wiring....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hopefully, as far as the high-speed fans goes, you've just dislodged the brown plug while replacing the green sensor so a quick and firm refit might sort that?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

CitroJim wrote:You may catch a glimpse of the Bitron without practically dismantling the whole car but that is all you'll get.
Classic Citroën design - if you can see it, you can't touch it; if you can touch it, you can't see it. :lol:

I believe the diagnostic plug reading only supplies the ECT result, and the Bitron status (not its triggering state).