Uneven breaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok i agree with that

regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Could the problem here be that the front brakes not working well enough rather than the rear brakes working too hard?
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I'll bleed the front breaks to start with, hopefully this may resolve the issue. I think The front breaks are active, but under active.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as already said give the brakes a good bleed and see what acure's

regards malcolm
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Well I've bled the brakes, no air apparent in the lines.

I did some testing on the way home however, even though the back does seem like it's doing more breaking than the front, the front offside wheel did lock up when I slammed on the breaks. The rear ones didnt.

CoXen
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you get fluid out of the rear kniples, if not or not much you are best bleeding them with suspension fully up on high, as this opens the rear brake circuit fully and allows full fluid flow,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Malcolm is right; it's essential to get around a qtr litre of LHM out of each rear brake nipple to purge the brake lines of 'air'. If no bubbles from any of the nipples (and you're still convinced there's something 'odd' about the brakes, I'd take a good look at the front calipers to make sure that the calipers slide easily on their pins AND that the inner pads move freely in the calipers with no hollows in the lower seats for the pad back-plates. On Xantias more than other cars, the front brakes seem to do even more of the work than the rears - in 30,000 miles in my hands, I have yet to need to change the rear pads, but I've fitted 2 new sets of front pads and new front discs too the second time.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Opps,

I only bled the front breaks as I thought they were under performing. Surely if the rear breaks are working over time they aren't showing signs of air?

Much appreciated

CoXen
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I had a similar problem on a BX GTI where the rear would dip under heavy braking. A local indy traced the fault to a failed accumulator sphere. The fronts ran out of pressure as the engine speed fell away but the rear brakes ran on for a while on rear suspension pressure. Changing the accumulator sphere cured the problem.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Think I may have to bite the bullet

CoXen
cox377

Post by cox377 »

MJM wrote:I had a similar problem on a BX GTI where the rear would dip under heavy braking. A local indy traced the fault to a failed accumulator sphere. The fronts ran out of pressure as the engine speed fell away but the rear brakes ran on for a while on rear suspension pressure. Changing the accumulator sphere cured the problem.
The accumulator sphere is the front centre isnt it? I replaced this one about 8 months ago. Hopefully it doesnt need doing again.

As was previously mentioned that it might be the rear centre, GSF gives me

ANTISINK SPHERE-REAR
SPHERE-REAR CENTRE

I want to ensure I'm getting the right one before I buy, as you can imagine :? :D

CoXen
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep thats the right one James

you will know asa it only has a hole in the worrking end big enough for a 9mm (spanner size ) pipe nut,

i find the easyest way to remove/re/fit these, is to just loosen the pipe nut a bit, then unscrew the sphere whilst holding the pipe nut with a flairnut spanner, dont forget to retrive the pipe seal fron in the end of the old sphere, and pluck ant loose strands of rubber off before re/useing it,

regards mlcolm
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Which one of the two though :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the anti sink as its wrongly called, it being a rear brake presure reserve,

i dont thing your car is HYDRACTIVE so it wont have the other one,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

A rather more informative list of spheres HERE. But your best bet is to e-mail an enquiry to GSF quoting year and model - that way any mistake is theirs!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom