Sphere help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Doesn't it sound like it might be the white plastic link on the height corrector?

Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you want to pop down the M40 to junction 1 I'll have a look at the car for you and give you the definitive answer as to what exactly is wrong.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

If it's locked up solid then replacing the front corner spheres will probably give it enough bounce to get through the MOT unless the tester is particularly knowledged on hydropneumatic cits.

It's a new one on me though, I've had them pass with flat spheres and get a warning for being too bouncy with good ones. :roll:
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

i ordered the spheres from the cheapest place i could find,,aepdirect...i ordered four front ones...where can i get the sphere removal tool now? i would rather get it from somewhere local so i can collect tomorrow,,but i dont know where... the mot free retest expires thursday...soo... i gotta get these spheres on asap...i know the two corner ones seem easy to replace,,but im not sure about the other two,,, will i have to get under the car right? i read the guides available here,,by Jim i think,,,but i dont see any mention of changing the actuator spheres nor the hydractive sphere up at the front... so im not too sure....
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Check this thread for a DIY tool.
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

okay i made the tool today it fits the spheres nice...the front end of the car is up on axle stands so in the morning i will hopefully go out and change the four front spheres...just to see if i understand the procedure correctly,,,

i start the car, suspension on highest setting, undo all four front spheres ever so slightly with the tool, drop the suspension to the lowest setting, undo the front facing 12mm bolt on the thing that the actuator sphere is connected to, turn off the car, leave for a few minutes undo the all the four spheres by hand and remove them, dip the new seals in fresh lhm, put the seals where the spheres go, then fit spheres and hand tighten

is that the correct procedure? and is there any particular order in which the spheres should be changed? or does it not make any difference? and the correct bolt that im looking for to depressurise the system,, is it the one facing towards the front of the car? i.e opposite the radiator? ive seen it in the picture but its hard to tell....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not quite,

For the fronts, drop to low and with the engine running, open the 12mm bleed valve just a half turn or so. Don't remove it completely. You should hear a short "rushing" sound as the valve opens.

Then remove the spheres. You only need to "crack" (start) the rear corners on high with engine running.

The reason you open the bleed valve with the engine running is so that every opportunity is afforded to depressurise the spheres themselves before the anti-sink valve shuts off and holds pressure in them. If you depressurise with the engine off, full pressure will remain in the spheres. Not all pressure may be gone so be ready for a douche vert :lol:

The centre hydractive sphere (on bracket by rad) can be tight and hold on to pressure. It's on a flimsy (relatively) bracket and be careful it does not bend too much and damage the rad. Sometimes it helps, if it is really tight, to bach the end of the sphere tool with a big hammer as you apply uncrewing force. The percussive effect helps to jar it free.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

don't forget to turn the engine off once you've depressurised.
don't remove the sphere's with the engine running!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

thanks for all your advice,,just to let you all know,, i did manage to change the spheres and get through the retest :)
looking forward to doing the rears now ;)