New sill now?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Looks like there's no wheel arch liner, am I correct?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

My golly Dave, commiserations. I never expected to ever see a Xantia with corrosion like that, even at 178k (and it's a 110 as well).

Makes you wonder what happened to it in it's early life as a rental car.

Good luck with the repairs.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

there is this lot http://www.carz2.co.uk/citroen-xantia-c-69_81.html but no sills....... i would be tempted to cut a section out of a scrapper and weld it in rather than replace the whole thing but if your having to pay someone else to do it a patch would be cheaper.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i'd be tempted to cut out all the rot and then look at it properly as a lot of it you can't see yet. it can be fixed relatively easily i have done worse but if the inner sill and strengthener are in any way rusty these will have to be dealt with first as a lot of people will just weld a patch on the outer sill and ignore the rest so the repair looks ok but the sill has lost its strength and in the event of a t-bone type accident you lose a lot of lateral strength. imo if its done properly and treated with a good rustproofing it will outlast the rest of the car :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's unusual for a Xantia indeed. I had a big lump of the paint peel off the sill of one of mine, but underneath it was just galvanised and no sign of rust. That repair is a wing off job as the grot stretches under the wing bottom :cry: Piece cut out of sill of a scrapper has got to be the easiet repair - saves a load of fabrication time!

Seems to be some oddities about - as I said elsewhere the sill has rotted out on our 2003 Picasso too - not as bad as that yet, but 7 years old???? It's deffo rotted from the inside out too, water must have got in and been trapped. D'oh :cry:

Still, not as much rust as the Visa Decap!!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes Dave i did think that was your rear end, ooooops i mean your XANTS rear end,

i agree dont use a stick welder get your self a mig, you will be amazed at how easy welding is with a mig compaired to a stick welder,

regards malcolm
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

tonupteabag wrote:i'd be tempted to cut out all the rot and then look at it properly as a lot of it you can't see yet. it can be fixed relatively easily, i have done worse
imo if its done properly and treated with a good rustproofing it will outlast the rest of the car :wink:
Yeah,this is my plan now at the weekend.Then even if i can't manage it at least it will be all prepped for a proper welder to finish it.Can't really afford/justify a mig at the moment.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/searc ... any/page/1

A chunk of sill from the scrappers sounds ideal,but how do you chop it out,hacksaw?!! or wonder if the scrap guy burns it off?

Mike, all plastic wheelarch liners are in place,even the stoopidly tiny rear one,which i've had to modify to block that gaping square hole...

I'll see how it goes,the car's getting less and less pretty..rear wing in primer,chips here and there,and now Mr.grinder's coming out to play! Oh well,could be fun,can see things getting ugly fast lol.
Last edited by HDI Dave on 13 May 2010, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

HDI Dave wrote:
tonupteabag wrote:i'd be tempted to cut out all the rot and then look at it properly as a lot of it you can't see yet. it can be fixed relatively easily, i have done worse
imo if its done properly and treated with a good rustproofing it will outlast the rest of the car :wink:
Yeah,this is my plan now at the weekend.Then even if i can't manage it at least it will be all prepped for a proper welder to finish it.Can't really afford/justify a mig at the moment.

A chunk of sill from the scrappers sounds ideal,but how do you chop it out,hacksaw?!! or wonder if the scrap guy burns it off?

Mike, all plastic wheelarch liners are in place,even the stoopidly tiny rear one,which i've had to modify to block that gaping square hole...

I'll see how it goes,the car's getting less and less pretty..rear wing in primer,chips here and there,and now Mr.grinder's coming out to play! Can see things getting ugly fast lol.
if the inner sill and strengthener are ok once you've cut out the rot then it would be easier to get a pattern outer sill skin and cut that about as when you place the sill skin over the top of your existing sill you can cut it to exactly where you need it and with doing it like this once its welded it can be faced off using a flap disc on the angle grinder to take down any high welds and it will blend the old and the new so it will only be seen under very close scrutiny
honda cb900 x3
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

tonupteabag wrote:then it would be easier to get a pattern outer sill skin and cut that about
This is where i'm getting confused..i thought i couldn't get a pattern sill..are they available? I never even thought to look! doh.Motor factors,'net?

Cheers,Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

well now i've looked for a pattern sill but haven't found one yet but i would have thought you could get a universal one thats close i'll see if i can find anything or anyone thats got one although chris is breaking a xantia so it might be worth asking about a sill section if his are good
honda cb900 x3
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

hi dave try these probably second hand but if its cheap enough it might be viable
http://www.hillsmotorparts.co.uk/parts/ ... ll_Panels/
honda cb900 x3
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

tonupteabag wrote:although chris is breaking a xantia so it might be worth asking about a sill section if his are good
mine look ok and i can chop it out if required, PM if interested and i can chop tonight
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

HDI Dave wrote:Mike, all plastic wheelarch liners are in place
Looks missing to me but ailing eyesight and all that :lol:

As for the repair, in the past (not had sills repaired) I've called on a recommended mobile welder (for the Ashtray) who provides the materials and welds them up for a very reasonably price. When I idly enquired about sills he said he can supply them but the job has to be fully assessed to determine if it's a simple fix or not. Would it be worth your while seeing if there's a local welder willing to come out, assess the job and give you a no obligation quote or even to visit him/them?
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Try Beevers Auto Panels theyve started up again they went under when the recession started but have now got going again.

they might be able to help with a sill and they are not expensive either.

personally I'd have bopught some body panel glue and cut some alluminium from the back of an old fluroesant lifgt fitting and patched it.
with a bit of luck you wouldnt even see the patch.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

My mot station would rip a stuck on patch off in seconds, bodge job on a structural part of the car :lol:

Thats a lot of rust for an xantia, the paint has come off the same part of the sill on my ph1 on both sides & the metal is clean, i assumed its galvanised?

If the rest of the sill is solid id just let a new bit of metal in at the front, easy enough to shape & weld it in.

Fitting a full new sill is a massive job to get it on & looking right, all the original will require chopping out & ill bet if a pattern part is available it wont fit properly without work. It may be worth doing if you plan on keeping it for the next twenty years but if not id save yourself the hassle, Also saves a lot of paintwork.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)