Leaking steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's thievery! :shock: I hope it was a brand new rack.

I took out my pinion valve and had it kitted. $50 labour, and somewhat more for the seal kit. Replaced the return hose and it was all dry again...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Something that still maybe needs clarifying (so you ask for the correct adjustments) is that there are 3 different things any one or combination of which might now be wrong on your car.

1. The straight ahead tracking (that the front wheels are pointing more or less in the same direction) if wrong, this causes tyre wear.

2. The rack centering (when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, the rack is exactly at its mid point). If wrong this can strain the airbag connector.

3. The steering wheel is centered (when the rack is at its mid point, the pokes of the steering wheel are correctly aligned).

On one of my cars, after having the alignment done (due to abnormal tyre wear), they got 1 right, 2 wrong and then moved the steering wheel so that 3 looked right.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

addo wrote:That's thievery! :shock: I hope it was a brand new rack.

I took out my pinion valve and had it kitted. $50 labour, and somewhat more for the seal kit. Replaced the return hose and it was all dry again...
Second hand rack :roll: ...Ireland is generally twice the price of every other country :rant2: Car tax for my Xantia for the year is €614 and in the U.k i think its sometihing like £160 :-k
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

XantiaDaveEire wrote: Ireland is generally twice the price of every other country
That may well be the case but Superquinn sausages ROCK and they're not available in the UK. Be grateful for small mercy's :D
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

You wouldnt be the first person to tell me how nice Superquinns sausages are :lolsign:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As a committed vegetarian, you'll not hear that from me. :lol:

(It's cheaper to not eat meat, and that means more play money for cars!)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:As a committed vegetarian, you'll not hear that from me. :lol:
Veggie sausages can be good Adam. Our Quorn ones aren't bad...

I have to confess I'm an ex-vegetarian. Fried bacon was my downfall and I succumed to the temptation :lol:

Truth is I don't eat much meat, just a little chicken, fish and a bit of bacon. I don't like red meat and rarely eat it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...