R plate Xantia V6 Exclusive starting problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

Further up the thread you said that all the electrics failed, lights as well. Before delving into the specific inhibitor/ignition circuits I would be looking at the main battery and earth connections. When the car is in the non-start state, no dash lights etc, do the headlights or anything else work? If not you have a main power failure.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

The symptoms sound exactly the same as when you try and start a car without having the battery terminal tightened down.

You get a click when the terminal jumps and that's it. Then until you have relocated and wiggled the terminal you get no lights or anything on the dash.

It does sound like a main feed problem as suggested by MJM.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Shaolin Twelve
My Cars:

Post by Shaolin Twelve »

:D Thanks David,

I actually came across that advice on XantiaV6.co.uk a while back and have that page bookmarked for when I get round to fixing the cruise control. However, it is always good to have things confirmed so thank you very much for your input. :-) Likewise to all of you who have contributed and really made me feel welcome, it's good to share things we are passionate about, and reminds me I'm not the only one.

Honestly, it's really good to feel that I belong, and it makes such a difference to talk to people who understand citroens, and not the usual 'hydrolastic' crowd ;-) (the amount of times I've heard that expression).
:-D

Take care all, hopefully I'll have both my cherished Xantias on the road soon :-)
Previous Cars;
2CV6 "Dolly"
CX 2.4 Auto Safari
Current 1997 Xantia 2.0 ltr Turbo Activa
1998 Xantia 3.0 ltr V6 Exclusive
Coming in 2011....3.0ltr V6 Manual Activa Exclusive
Shaolin Twelve
My Cars:

Post by Shaolin Twelve »

Ooops! Just realised there's a page 2, apologies if my replies seem disjointed (they are).

The battery terminals are tight, and were so previously (first thing I checked), and the leads in good condition, even now. Actually the whole engine bay, exhaust, and wiring are pretty clean considering 101k miles, hence my perplexity at what was going on (even made sure the leads into the battery terminals were sound as I experienced similar probs with a Xantia 1.9TD which had poor aftermarket terminals, where the leads had invisibly corroded inside the terminal clamps).

When the car refuses to start, there are absolutely no clicking noises anywhere, and turning the ignition key several times (in the past) would invariably lead to the dashboard lights coming on, and then the car would start. In terms of the dashboard lights, it's not that none of them came on, at least 1 red light came on (the lhm tank), but dimly even on a fully charged battery, it's that all the lights that are supposed to come on didn't (and presently don't).

I think from the other posts I have read that the mods that CitroJim and others mentioned are my first port of call, but then I'm going to check all of the points of advice even if one thing fixes it, as I'd rather check all the mentioned areas as a preventative measure as well.

So thanks again for the wealth of information to you all.
Previous Cars;
2CV6 "Dolly"
CX 2.4 Auto Safari
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Shaolin,

If these's any circuits you need to help diagnose this issue, do please let me know. If I don't already have them available, I can soon scan them up. I have the complete set...

You must tell us something about your Activa. Have you seen the Activa forum here? If not, scroll right down into the members section.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Shaolin Twelve
My Cars:

Post by Shaolin Twelve »

Thanks Jim,

I could do with the ignition circuit diagram for now, but on saying that everyone has been so helpful with this problem I think I can do it without too much head scratching, that said a diagram would obviously be a boon.

I read the link you sent about the mod to the ignition and have bookmarked that page for further reference too.

Ahhhh my Activa.....what can I say? She's cinnamon red, pretty, and makes me smile whenever I think of her......ok so I don't have a woman in my life, but then I'd desired an Activa even when there was, and when they were just a rumour at the Citroen dealership I once worked for :-)

Unfortunately, like the V6, she came with some minor headaches, but I'll post about that in the Activa forum or this topic will go off topic. Saying that it's suspension related and I've already replaced 8 of the 10 spheres,
pump, front ram pipes (which still leak due to my opinion a poor design, though I think I have a solution), and have a stiff rear HC, not to mention the way she rises in the morning. However, though she's my favourite car of all time, the V6 needs to be done first, just because of where the car is, and the unwanted interest it keeps attracting.

Oh yes, another reason the V6 is first, is because horror of horrors....I've forgotten my code for the Activa. I know I wrote it down somewhere safe....but I've forgotten where. :-(

Pete :-)
Previous Cars;
2CV6 "Dolly"
CX 2.4 Auto Safari
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pete,

Have a look at this thread. It contains the V6 Ignition wiring diagrams and maybe some other useful information too...

It might be worth looking at the bulkhead connectors menthined in the thread.

Don't worry about leaky Activa rams Pete. I reckon I've cracked that problem now...

Looking forward to seeing you down in the Activa section...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...