Need Xantia Eggheads Help to Diagnose Stiff Ride!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The union on the Anti-Sink is a 9mm one Jonathan. I always assumed it was an 8mm even after doing a few. 8 and 9mm spanners look much the same so an easy mistake to make. Note too that on reassembly you need a new 4.5mm hydraulic seal. These are availabe from GSF.

I find the best way to deal with an A-S sphere is to use a good 9mm OE spanner to hold the union after initially loosening it a tad with a 9mm flare-nut spanner.

Then, with the OE spanner resting on the side of the bracket and counterholding the union, unscrew the spehere from the bracket. It may be tight and well rusted in so expect to need to give it some welly.

You'll find the old hydraulic seal (a small rubber tube) will more than likely have remained inside the sphere thread.

On replacement, lubricate the new seal with LHM and slide it right up the pipe until it is hard up against the flare. Make sure about 30 'thou of pipe is poking out of the other end. If there is not a bit of pipe poking out, you'll never get the pipe to sit properly home.

To replace, screw the new sphere home hand-tight. Then push the pipe hard in until it will go no further and a couple of threads are visble above the pipe seal. Start the union nut, manipulating the pipe as necessary to be able to screw the union in by finger pressure alone until it gets tight as the seals begins to compress. Then nip it up a bit more with the spanner. Never over-tighten these unions. The rubber seal dfoes the job of sealing; over tightening them can be counter-productive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i never fit the seal to the pipe first as this expands the seal with the pipe in side it, then it will get caught on the thread you are trying to pass it though,

i always poke the seal into the orafiss first, then gently feel the pipe through the seal and into its seat, this also allows the pipe nut to enter the its matting thread without the seal getting in the way,

the only thing you have to whatch in doing it this way is you dont catch the seal with the tip of the pipe on entry

regards malcolm
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

CitroJim wrote:The union on the Anti-Sink is a 9mm one Jonathan. I always assumed it was an 8mm even after doing a few. 8 and 9mm spanners look much the same so an easy mistake to make.
God, the memory is obviously becoming cloudy; I could have sworn that after I destroyed the pipe the first time I removed one of those spheres I had just made up a new pipe, but since I only have facility to make the 3.5mm pipes clearly this was not the case :oops:

On pipe seals, whereas I most certainly agree replacing them if disturbed is wise, I have to say that over the years I have reused them on countless occasions without problems; usually they only require replacement if they are visibly damaged.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jonathan_dyane wrote: God, the memory is obviously becoming cloudy; I could have sworn that after I destroyed the pipe the first time I removed one of those spheres I had just made up a new pipe, but since I only have facility to make the 3.5mm pipes clearly this was not the case :oops:
No, not cloudy at all Jonathan.. In the case of a damaged 4.5mm pipe, it is easily repaired using a length of 3.5mm pipe as the unions have the same threads despite the 3.5mm unions having 8mm heads..

I've just gone out in the workshop and proved it...

So, it is quite possible to find cars with the original 4.5mm pipe and repaired ones with 3.5mm pipe...

That explains why we both are pretty certain we've seen 8mm anti-sink unions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Aha! Thanks for that Jim, I must have replaced it with the thinner pipe (for better or worse). Phew :lol:
Jonathan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Can't see the thinner pipe making a whole world of difference to the operation of the operation of the antisink sphere but there must have been a reason why 4.5mm pipe was specified originally :?
Jim

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It *might* make a difference on cars with ABS when the ABS is in 'action'...
Jonathan
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Can't see the thinner pipe making a whole world of difference to the operation of the operation of the antisink sphere but there must have been a reason why 4.5mm pipe was specified originally :?
Probably cheaper
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
seany87
My Cars:

Post by seany87 »

Car is going into a friends garage first thing tomorrow to get raised up and poked from underneath. Think both accumulators need doing for sure, and I might as well grease the height adjusters while its on the ramp.

Just hope doing the above will work as its really horrible to drive at the minute
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Sean, just noticed that you're in Liverpool too, feel free to drop by one evening if you want me to have a look at the car to see what I think. I'm in L8.
Jonathan
seany87
My Cars:

Post by seany87 »

Well, took it to the garage and me and my friend reckon its got 2 flat accumulators, the rear spheres are nearly 100% rusted so maybe they have not been replaced, who knows? Also the clutch is going, although its not slipping yet it will need doing quite soon. Plus, we are not sure that the pump I put on is up to much even though it was fitted correctly - the steering can be quite stiff at times, and to get the rear of the car to raise when the height adjustment is set to high, you have to put the car on the lowest setting first. Im going to Coventry this weekend for a wedding and need to take the car, I have no access to any other transport. Its going to be a joyful drive when you can feel every pebble and rizla paper through the wheels :cry: :cry:

Those are just the problems I know about, Id hate to spend hundreds and hundreds to sort them out only for something else to rear its ugly head. Ive already spent a lot of money (for me anyway) servicing it and getting the brakes done.

Its got to the point where I am going to cut my losses and get rid. Ive already 90% bought a little MG ZR, very tidy indeed with a new head gasket, not to mention well cheaper insurance and tax. Anyone interested in an X reg, Hdi 90 with 11 month MOT and 5 month tax, apart from the above shes a very good runner!