keys, do they really have to be this big???!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It seems that some people don't realise that the transponder chip for the immobiliser is in the plastic mouled end of the key shaft itself, and has no connection to the RF PCB that works the locking system.

Your car would originally have had a service key which has a slim plastic head and no plipper body, at a cost, you could get a replacement from Citroen, or you could just pop the rivet and find a way to get a bit of leverage on the key shaft from your plipper.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/S ... antkey.jpg

the service key.. the green bit is the chip.. looks quite well secured :shock:
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

a normal key with no remote locking functions won't break the bank and you'll have the other key in good condition when you sell the car
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

xantia_v6 wrote:It seems that some people don't realise that the transponder chip for the immobiliser is in the plastic mouled end of the key shaft itself, and has no connection to the RF PCB that works the locking system.

Your car would originally have had a service key which has a slim plastic head and no plipper body, at a cost, you could get a replacement from Citroen, or you could just pop the rivet and find a way to get a bit of leverage on the key shaft from your plipper.
oh cool thanks, any idea how to pop this rivet??? I doubt ciroen would help as i don't have the card thing with key numbers on, but could they make a service key from my key or would they need key codes and does anybody know what it might cost me? (probably more than i paid for the car!!!)
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

jgra1 wrote:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/S ... antkey.jpg

the service key.. the green bit is the chip.. looks quite well secured :shock:
I don't have the service key that is my problem!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would get a service key, it wont cost a fortune and you will have a good sized key, instead of a tiny plastic ended blade.

If you do decide to drill out the rivet, Citroen sell a kit for a couple of pound which is the rivet and spring.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I don't have the service key that is my problem!
no worries Richie was just showing you and others where the chip is etc..
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

Citroenmad wrote:I would get a service key, it wont cost a fortune and you will have a good sized key, instead of a tiny plastic ended blade.

If you do decide to drill out the rivet, Citroen sell a kit for a couple of pound which is the rivet and spring.
How can i get a service key if i don't have that card with key numbers on? i thought they needed the number to make it work in the car for immob???
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

Citroen dealer can look up the key number on their database. They may or may not charge for doing this. If you have to obtain the key number, it's worth getting the radio code and the security code as well. You may also need the V5 document to "prove" that you own the car.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

MJM wrote:Citroen dealer can look up the key number on their database. They may or may not charge for doing this. If you have to obtain the key number, it's worth getting the radio code and the security code as well. You may also need the V5 document to "prove" that you own the car.
if they do charge what will the charge be? also don't have v5 as only got it yesterday and the bloke only had a very old type v5 so i got a green slip but a very very old one!!
do timpsons do them,!!!! lol
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

The "standard" charge used to be £15 for the 3 codes. I was quoted £15 for each number by one local dealer. :shock:

I went to the main dealer in Gloucester eventually (happened to be passing) and was given the 3 codes for nowt. :D (I always think that being pleasant and polite is a help.
The radio code can be accessed by the dealer at any time but the other 2 can only be accessed when the main Citroen UK database is open (9 to 5 Mon to fri?) The dealer gave me the radio code but being Saturday couldn't do the other codes. I said that a phone call with the others would be ok, when he had them. It would save me calling in. I then offered to pay and was told to not worry about it.

You have proof of ownership with the slip, and presumably you'll drive to the dealer in it so ownership won't be a problem.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

When i wanted a radio code for an Xm the dealer had to request it from Citroen UK. The dealer phoned me about an hour after i went in and told me the code. £15 they charged and insisted they needed the number off the back of the radio.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

Think i've sorted key now, i took my flip bit out and it leaves me with a perfect little key that works,
just need to work out why my boot only opens arter about 5 unlocks now, shame there is no key hole on boot of estate!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia sx auto wrote:
just need to work out why my boot only opens arter about 5 unlocks now, shame there is no key hole on boot of estate!!!
Ahh well, that's a MK2 Xantia for you. The vastly superior MK1 did have a key operated boot lock :wink:

This'll be down to a failing central locking motor. They're not of the best quality on a Xantia Estate. They can be replaced by a generic motor obtainable from Maplins. VertVega did a post about this a while back. giving full details.

The locking motor is easy to get to after removing the tailgate trim panel and membrane. Be aware that the membrane is critical to the rear of the car being watertight and it'll need careful resealing as discussed in this thread.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's the thread about tailgate locking problems and how to solve them :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...