Insurance.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote: Yes, when I pull into the pupils' car park at school in the C5 it looks suitably out of place, and I have been told that it looks like I've borrowed grandad's car for the day ha ha. And when I take the Vel Satis, they just stare in disbelief as it towers over all the Corsas, Clios and Polos.

And I agree, the facelift C5 looks much better. I'm still not sure whether I like the styling of my C5... it looks a bit too anonymous for my liking.

Oh and a question, when my C5 is left overnight, and I unlock it with the huge plip remote key (did have to be so HUGE?) in the morning, the suspension starts adjusting itself slightly (I notice the sound but the movements aren't too dramatic). Does yours do this?

Yes I have a few brochures of the CX and it looks mad! But I've noticed that prices are starting to rise for these cars which is bad news if I were to look for a good one!

Ideally, in a few years I'd love to have a CX, a BX and an XM.
Well i never like having a mundane car, id never buy a corsa or a fiesta. I dont really care what other people think, most people like my C5 actually, in fact ive not had anyone say a bad thing about it. As i do a few motorway mile i like a big cruiser, so small cars dont interest me as much as they did. I think ive grown out of them :lol:

As far as the C5 styling goes, its an odd looker, though after having one a year now im getting used to it. Its a bit bland yes. I looked at so many cars when i wanted to replace my first C5, so many, but souldnt find anything which offered the same as a C5, so i got another. Might change it soon though...

Yes, all C5s do that, its just finding normal height again after its settled slightly over night. And no, ive no idea why the key is so huge, it really is massive and pointless, not to mention cheap looking and wears badly. Id like to get a normal key for it, remote key like C3s etc have. Or C4 style flip key, though that uses a different style of blade so im not sure that it would work.

Ive heard people say the Xm is a better car than the C5 (i agree) and the CX is a better car than the XM, although i think i prefer Xms. We had a TRS CX for a short while, it was a nice car but i do prefer Xms for some reason. I also like hydractive suspension.

I had someone say to me the other day that they thought their old CX was a very strong car, while the Xm feels weak and flexible in the body. Ive no idea what was ment by this, i dont find the Xm weak, but then i dont have a crash every day. I didnt know what to make of that?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi Luke,

I've seen your Vel Satis and Megane about, I remember the plate. I also seem to recall seeing that 'PBZ' Mondeo with overspray on the front numberplate recently too.

Nice collection of cars there, a friend pointed out your C5 for sale on Gumtree there.
I have two XMs.

One thing you mentioned, Quinn Direct. Not to rain on your parade, but you might need to do a little checking, as they recently (before their current financial problems), announced the intention to withdraw the right to the 3rd Party Extension part of the policy from all under 25s, including existing policy holders.
Just check it out, you'd hate to find out the hard way that you're not covered!

Very impressive collection of cars for an 18 year old :)
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Hi Ciaran,

Unfortunately the Vel Satis and Mondeo are gone now! My aunt who lives in Birmingham bought the Vel and she absolutely loves it, she kept the NI reg and it's getting plenty of comments!

You have two XMs? Wow, I can honestly say I never see them on the road anymore, such a shame, they're my favourite Citroen.

Yes thanks for the pointer on Quinn. I heard about this a month ago and called them. I'm still covered until 9th May (my renewal date) but can't renew with them! So I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do after that. Any advice?
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes most insurance companies are not covering under 25s for third party cover on others cars now. Well, very few did but now i cant think of any which do.

Im with Bell, you could get a FlexiBell offer which you could choose options when buying the policy. One of these options was the driver other cars TP option, this cost around £50-£200 extra depending on your policy. However this offer has now been removed from their website so i asume they no longer do it. Which is a right pain for me as im in a similar situation. Ill have to check with them and see, but i dont think they do offer cover for thrid party use of other peoples cars for under 25s now.

Any one know of any other companies which offer this?

I know HIC used to, not sure if they still do.

Do you buy and sell some of them (the volvo, mundaneo etc) to make a bit of money on them? Or just to own them?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Do you buy and sell some of them (the volvo, mundaneo etc) to make a bit of money on them? Or just to own them?
A bit of both really. It's nice to experience cars that i really wanted growing up, but also very easy to make money on them. Plus I only have space to keep four cars max, so they will more than likely be sold again (unless I come across something very special)

But these insurance changes have the potential to make me very unhappy indeed; and I really can't see a way around it at the mo :(
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes i sometimes do a bit of buying and selling, id like to get into it more really. For the purpose of owning different cars and also making a bit of money too. Which is what im planning on doing with this Seat at the mo.

Shame about the insurance i know, im in exactly the same position. I also look after a few family friends cars which means i need to drive them. So its going to be very inconvenient when i renew at the end of May.

Need to find a way around it! If you come up with anything, let me know :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I was with Quinn direct since i started driving and every year my premium increased..(shower of useless :evil: ) ,i shopped around and got a cheaper policy with nononsense.ie €500 cheaper than quinn direct !!,i rang Quinn direct and they said the couldnt match the quote i was givin by nononsense.ie so i told them where to go :lol: ....Now im only paying €1700 a year for the privelage to drive :roll: ...

It helps not to think that im paying twice what my car is worth to drive it :roll: ..You just have to grin and bear it i suppose :lol:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Citroenmad wrote:Yes i sometimes do a bit of buying and selling, id like to get into it more really. For the purpose of owning different cars and also making a bit of money too. Which is what im planning on doing with this Seat at the mo.

Shame about the insurance i know, im in exactly the same position. I also look after a few family friends cars which means i need to drive them. So its going to be very inconvenient when i renew at the end of May.

Need to find a way around it! If you come up with anything, let me know :lol:
Sounds like you would be better off with a traders policy to me.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

wheeler wrote: Sounds like you would be better off with a traders policy to me.
I cant have a motor traders policy as im not a trader. To be a trader you often need to prove how many cars you trade a year, how many cars you service or how many customers cars you need to drive.

I know because my dad has this type of policy, each year you need to guess at a percentage to each use. If you can not prove this use then they will not offer a trader policy.

Ive bought maybe 4 cars in the last year, mainly because i couldnt decide what id like to own. Though im settled with my C5 now so i wont be buying more for me to keep. I might buy the odd one or two to buy and sell on but that doesnt warrant a traders policy. I do service 4-5 cars a year for other people, but that doesnt really mean i need a traders policy either.

Im a full time student and work part time, so ill not be intending on getting a traders policy, as my needs dont suit one. Its just sometimes handy to drive other cars.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Sounds like you would be better off with a traders policy to me.
I did look into that briefly. But being 18 is a big problem.
French is best.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Luke,

How do you get around the fact that a car must be insured to tax it???
ie you cant tax one vechicle with another cars insurance unless you have traders insurance.
surely this is gonna hit you hard in the pocket at some time???

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Luke,

How do you get around the fact that a car must be insured to tax it???
ie you cant tax one vechicle with another cars insurance unless you have traders insurance.
surely this is gonna hit you hard in the pocket at some time???

regards Nigel.
Luckily, all my cars up to now have been taxed.

Anyone know of any trader insurance policies which will accept an 18 year old?
French is best.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Now im only paying €1700 a year for the privelage to drive ...
Ouch, that is the only benifit to being a little older now, £280 fully comp for the XM with all its mods and the 3rd party extension thrown in, shocking prices really, im working on my brothers Audi coupe at the moment and he has just sorted insurance with it, he's 19 and its set him back £1400 tpft, there were prices quoted around the 3K mark though :shock:

Nice collection by the way Luke, i really do feel for you on the insurance though but we have all been there im affraid :cry:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive been getting some quotes for my C5 today, cheapest i got was £550 with RAC but then the next cheapest was £650-£800.

Its coming down, better that i can now go for the cheapest qoutes, as i cant find any insurance offering the driver other cars option for under 25s. Infact some dont offer it at all, no matter what the drivers age.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Yes i did notice when i first started driving i had the drive any car option which was helpfull, after a couple of years it vanished off the insurance cert and i didnt see it again untill i turned 25, i guess they had too many 17 year old's insuring 950 Fiesta's and jumping into "Dads" Impreza and promptly wrapping it around a tree.

I guess your C5 insurance will be more expensive due to it being a newer car?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............