Suspension / Steering C5 2.2Hdi Est

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:The first thing to do is check your LDS level, its quite easy to do really though its not clear as to how much should actually be in there. So long as yours is near the top thats good.
It is shown on p319, section 316 on the pdf above. Can't c&p unfortunately as it is a pdf :(
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

That's strange I can't find p 319 in a one page PDF advert for LDS.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

cachaciero wrote:That's strange I can't find p 319 in a one page PDF advert for LDS.

cachaciero
Apologies - I was wondering where that file came from too :(

Link has been corrected and is here too:

http://ftp.psyborg.rpg.pl/biuletyny
look on the 2005 C5_C8.pdf, (10th August 2008, 23:40 7.6M)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

myglaren wrote:If someone has added LHM you will need to drain and flush the system to remove any traces of that or any other contaminants.

It is possible to do it yourself but not easy if you are unaware of the procedures involved. As it is not a circulating system like the Xantia it is not easy to get the fluid out of the runs to the spheres - I haven't a clue how that works, unless all the spheres are removed and drained and the lines to them flushed out.

There must be absolutely no additives to the LDS system.

Draining the pipe runs shouldn't be so difficult there are conventional bleed screws adjacent to the spheres just where depends on model. These can also be used to depressurise the system if a Lexia is not available, IMHO these are better for bleeding the system than the procedure using the Lexia.

I am not convinced that a drop of LHM say 5% remaining in the system will do much harm and with no pressure in the system there will be very little oil in the spheres assuming that they are not flat.

I reckon that the following could be done without having a Lexia.

Drain and clean the main tank (disconnect feed pipe to pump) Refit pipe and fill tank with LDS, connect a low pressure air source to the tank filler, a suitable rubber bung with a pipe through the center connected to the spare tyre valve should do it, or a rad pressure testing piece of kit, you need about 5 -10psi. This is required to force the oil into the pump apparently they are not self priming.
Connect a piece of pipe to front bleed screw and run to container. Open front bleed screw then run the pump for a bit until clean bubble free LDS appears in the container close the bleed valve, repeat for rear.

As this requires working under the car attention must be paid to using good jacks, you will need weight on the wheels when bleeding so it will be a case of jacking front (rear) fitting pipe to bleed screw slackening bleed screw, pipe and container needs to be to one side lower jacks, run pump once their is clean fluid in the container stop pump ensure that pipe remains in fluid jack car to close bleed screw. On an SX or lower trim it might be possible to get to the front bleed screw from above but I believe the rear will require jacking.

I have to emphasise that this is theory never having actually done it this way it but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A "One-Man" brake bleed kit might do to pressurise the reservoir.

In that pdf they say that the car should be suspended with the wheels hanging.

Looks as though that would work though and the power steering should bleed itself with lock-to-lock movement of the steering wheel.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

myglaren wrote:A "One-Man" brake bleed kit might do to pressurise the reservoir.

In that pdf they say that the car should be suspended with the wheels hanging.

Looks as though that would work though and the power steering should bleed itself with lock-to-lock movement of the steering wheel.
My way may not won't work if the wheels are hanging. If the wheels are hanging and assuming that they are on the mechanical stop then that equates to max high as far as the ECU is concerned so when you power up the system the BHI will only open the return valves in an attempt to drive the suspension to normal height. To get the pump to run the suspension struts have to be compressed to a point lower than normal height or possibly max height if you use the height selector on max.

Edit

And you need the struts compressed to ensure that there is an absolute minimum of air in the system before you start to bleed.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC