Remember what we said about the car scrappage scheme?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Wouldn't mind a trip around there to see if I could find new front end for the wifes scenic. :evil:
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

i wouldnt mind a trip down there to pick myself up a new car!!!!!!
the whole scheme is a joke in my view, whats even more ammusing is the fact some people think this is another excellent 'green' scheme by the government :?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is no way in heck each of those cars can net an average of £2K on parts/scrap resale. The gumnut would be better off reselling at auction or online.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

addo wrote:There is no way in heck each of those cars can net an average of £2K on parts/scrap resale. The gumnut would be better off reselling at auction or online.
That would be one auction I wouldn't miss for anything!
French is best.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

addo wrote:There is no way in heck each of those cars can net an average of £2K on parts/scrap resale. The gumnut would be better off reselling at auction or online.
Market forces set prices, thats supply and demand. Imagine a situation where somebody was able to remove a huge number of cars from scrapyards and create an artificial shortage of scrap cars. Imagine that effect that would have on 10 year old second hand cars? Suddenly £2k per car doesn't seem so implausible does it?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The point of the scheme was to appear as though they had an idea for supporting the motor industry.
Scrappers are going to make a packet more out of it than they would have otherwise.
If memory serves, cars can be stripped for parts but not sold as whole, so potentially there could be a lot more spare parts on shelves than before, although I woul imagine most would go straight to the crusher.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

Xac wrote: If memory serves, cars can be stripped for parts but not sold as whole, so potentially there could be a lot more spare parts on shelves than before, although I woul imagine most would go straight to the crusher.
I wonder how many parts need to be removed before what is left can also be sold for "parts" and then reassembled and put back on the road? I'm sure nobody thought that one through!

Several months before the scheme was announced the wife's 9½ yr old passat was in need of of about a £1k to get it fully roadworthy again (engiine misfire, seatbelts, tyres, service, central locking) so we decided to replace it, wanting to spend about £10k.
Wasn't really looking for a new car but got a brand new Vectra estate for £12½k, £4½k off list price and another £1k px on the passat.
I'm sure if we'd waiting until it was valid under the scheme the £4½K discount would have been reduced to £2k
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I would imagine the chassis would need to be crushed as that has the log book VIN number stamped on it doesn't it?
Thankfully we didn't have the US scrappage scheme where initially the engines had to have liquid glass poured into them and reved until they died.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Picked up a survivor of the scrappage scheme tonight...

Paid £150 for a 1993 Volvo 940SE Auto. at auction this evening. It has only 74,000 miles, MOT until december and tax until the end of May!

The elderly owner sadly passed away after owning it for the last 15 years.

It's not french, but I'm very happy!
French is best.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i've sat and watched/read through this to see the different opinions on the so-called green incentive plugged by the government as the way forward to preserve the planet and get more mpg and lower road tax (free in some cases) and some people duly jumped on it with the "wow a new car" attitude i wonder how many of these people are now stuck with a car that needs dealer attention for small faults that on the car they possibly traded under the scheme they could have done themselves yet in the economic climate we have where money is tight and prices are still going up ie fuel (124.9) here at the moment has the knock-on effect of bumping food prices up making the average wage fall massively short of keeping the house running so the credit cards get battered then the debts spiral out of control so the nice new car that seemed such a good idea gets put on sale so now the government get what they want ie more cars off the road leaving the poor greenies on shankseys pony for trying to play the governments game
just my opinion :wink:
and just in case anybody does manage to get into the airfield where the cars are stored i need a bonnet, alloy wheels, leather interior, basically could you get me the top of the range xantia to replace my old girl :D
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As Ian Dury sang in his song, "what a waste!"
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

What a shame :(

Some very nice cars in that picture. Mind, some of those i would be scrapping too, infact why people by them in the first place is a little odd (Nissan Serena, Micro car, Wardrobe etc), however there are some nice cars there too.

There are three ford Pumas in that pic, yes they rust but they are a fantastic drive. Im amased there are Mk4 Golfs and Audis in there, they are way overpriced as a used car and im amased there were scrappged for £2K. There are 3 clios, fiestats and Kas, what are people going to have as their first car then?

Thank god its over!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Every car in that lot represents the manipulated masses who can also be sold Climate Change, the next I phone package or a consolidated loan ..........BAAAAAAAA! :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars: