Tools

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

CitroJim wrote:
The other rule is only ever lend tools to people you implicitly trust. Otherwise you find your collection will start diminishing.

Tools become immensely personal. I can't work properly with other people's tools and jealously guard mine.

but some Draper stuff is of questionable quality/utility. The Draper Expert stuff is usually borderline OK but steer well clear of cheapo Draper.
Aye Jim,i agree, tools become strangely comfy,like old friends!

Strange though, i've always found Draper to be pretty good.Maybe mine are the quality sets/tools. Only ever had 1 19mm socket break, when i lent it to a muppet, who had a 6 foot bar on a transit wheel nut....it was a left hand thread..eejut! I bought another 19mm socket,draper,and undid it for him :roll:

Oh, OP, Get a big old vice...vise?!! Invaluable to the home diy er.
Last edited by HDI Dave on 07 Apr 2010, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I can recommend Halfords pro range. It's worth checking their online prices first as you can then reserve and collect in-store and see just how much money you can save that way. I got a great deal on a beginners kit for my nephew at Christmas.

And I second the suggestion to try InExcess for quality and price. There's a small branch near me in Somerford/Purewell worth having a look round for individually sized spanners, sockets and other odd tools. I noticed they're also selling a nice looking socket set with each socket being an individual colour! Very clever methinks.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

agree a good vice and a good bench for it to bolt to...

:) and also a compressor as addo mentioned. I used mine and a cheap 1/2" air gun the other day to help with a rack change.. made a lot of the job quick and pain free :D
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I will agree there, i have had a compressor for a while now for drying stuff off, painting and making light work of pumping tyres up but last year a bought a snap on air ratchet for £20 on Ebay and its worth its weight in gold, exhaust manifold nuts are no longer a pita , do need a good vice though!! and lending tools out is a no no for me too, i would sooner hire out the Mrs :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

D wrote
"i would sooner hire out the Mrs"

whats she like D although its quite a way to travle TEA HE,

and is she good at undoing tight nuts

Tobby buying tools is a life time job you can never have all the tools you need, you will always find you are short of something or other,

but add to your list a 1/2 inch drive two foor knukle bar,

regards malcolm
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

whats she like D although its quite a way to travle TEA HE,

and is she good at undoing tight nuts
well, late model, good body, mechanics sound but running costs are high and she can be tempramental.....................im so glad she never reads anything here :lol:

And tool wise........i have been collecting since i was 10, 12 years on and i still have nowhere near the gear i think i need.......i bet the list in this thread alone would set you back a few £K and that is just what is considered a minimum!, it seems to me every other purchase i make is an expensive 'once every six months kind of buy.......at some point i just ended up with enough gear to get by but i dont think i will ever stop eying up other tools!!.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I agree on the air. I'd be lost without my compressor and the few air tools I have. It's used for something nearly every day.

Vices. Toby, I have a big vice spare if you want it. FOC. I have two vices, a small engineers one and a big old agricultural one that used to be in a blacksmiths. It's great for holding hubs and other big items.

Nope, you can never have all the tools you need.

A good blowtorch is incredibly valuable as well applied heat can be just the thing to shift a stubborn fixing. Find a torch that gives a fine pencil flame. Cheap ones in DIY stores are OK for amateur plumbers but not for our purposes.

Maybe we could use this thread to draw up a fairly comprehensive list of necessary tools that will see most jobs done... It would be very useful.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

It would be very useful Jim,

I'm looking to replace the missing items from my existing set and will then get some other basic tools.

Air compressors and things will have to come at a later date. As and when I need them.

Jim the offer of the vice is very kind, if you're very sure it would be much appreciated. I must find somewhere to mount it though :roll:

Thank you to all for your suggestions. I have a week off next week and am going to tackle some jobs on the Activa (probably Coupe too) and as I say, it's frustrating to keep finding I need something I haven't got.

Do wish I had a pit or a lift though :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i love my tools full stop!!!!!! if they took my arms i'd cuddle them with my feet :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

tonupteabag wrote:i love my tools full stop!!!!!! if they took my arms i'd cuddle them with my feet :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Is cuddling your tools a Devonian thing? :shock: :shock: :oops:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

nah mate i'm a northener :D i hate to think my poor little spanners and sockets getting cold!!!!!!!
hmm i think i've got taking care of my tools a bit on the excessive side :shock:
saying that though i own a mk1 xantia so i don't suppose my tools get a chance to be cold :P
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

um...............no :oops:

now a pit is on everyones wish list id of thought, i do have room for one now though and i will be bringing a jcb home next summer to landscape the garden sooooo :lol: bit of an involved job to do right though and im sure pits are frowned upon these days....

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby, the vice has your name on it...
tonupteabag wrote: hmm i think i've got taking care of my tools a bit on the excessive side :shock:
Not at all, I understand that perfectly. I'm jealously possessive of mine.

You can tell a Citroen owner's tools; they have a definite well-used look about them. A good burnished finish from hard and frequent use :lol:

Dean, pits are great things and do dig yourself one. The old H and S boys quiver and wring their hands a bit over them them due to the danger of unsuspecting folk falling into them, especially children and pets and the danger of heavier than air vapours and gasses settling in them and either posing a fire, explosion or suffocation risk. Propane, for instance, being heavier than air, can collect in a pit and either blow you up, suffocate you or do both.

There are, as a result, special lighting regulations for pits to avoid the danger of blowing yourself sky-high when switching on a light should the pit be full of flammable vapours.

As always, treat them sensibly and keep them covered with a stout lid when not in use and all is fine.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My son spends most of his time in his pit.
Shame I can't position a car over him and have him work on it :twisted:
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Looks like Chinese Lexias are dropping in price.
Had an email offer at 130 US$ this morning.

John
Xmexclusive