Diesel PRices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm back in Cassy so I can use veg :D

You make an excellent point Martin, and when you think about what is involved in making 1L of fuel and getting it to a car's tank, the price, even with tax, the price is really low.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Much as I dislike fuel price increases, especially as I'm a pensioner :? :( :x I must agree with Martin. When I had my first car in 1956 petrol was 5/- a gallon (25p in monopoly money) I was earning £5.00 per week as a TV engineer, so my total wages would buy 20 gallons of petrol - compare that with now. :shock:

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

superloopy1 wrote:
Xac wrote:I'm back in Cassy so I can use veg :D

You make an excellent point Martin, and when you think about what is involved in making 1L of fuel and getting it to a car's tank, the price, even with tax, the price is really low.
Xac, what's the mpg like running on veg, similar ie 45-47, or less?
Same as on derv, although I did get 5mph more top speed out of Cassy one night on the M3 running on veg
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I'm soooooo glad I make my own bio-diesel, I get a nice worm feeling every time I drive past a TAX station and see the price.
My fuel costs me a whopping 7p per liter + my time to make it.
Full tank of bio for £4.55 :mrgreen:
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Biodiesel

could moidern engines run on recycled fat diesel?

I was trying to see a machine which makes it which costs around £2500 and which I saw on the telly.

Also while petrol was cheaper back when so it was the case that work was generally nearby. I have to spend huge amount of my wages getting to and from work 65 miles away.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Perceived wisdom is that HDi's don't like it.

I ran mine quite happily on fully processed biodiesel for around six months with no ill effects that I am aware of but then the bio was as expensive as diesel so they stopped supplying it.

It may benefit you to consider a Xantia Turbo D or perhaps a 306 D-Turbo to travel to work in as these will happily burn easy to get raw vegetable oil (Mazola) which would be a considerable saving if you are doing high mileages - Xac, among others, will attest to that.

From what I have read then it would seem that rapeseed oil is the one to use above all others but it all depends on what you can get and how much it costs - look into local supplies before making any precipitous decisions.
You might be able to sweet talk a restaurant owner into letting you buy through them rather than buying in 1 or 2 litre bottles, at a more reasonable price.

If you use more than 2,499 Litres a year then you are supposed to declare it to HM Customs and pay duty on it like other fuel, but how will they ever know?
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

boristhespie wrote:http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Biodiesel

could moidern engines run on recycled fat diesel?

I was trying to see a machine which makes it which costs around £2500 and which I saw on the telly.

Also while petrol was cheaper back when so it was the case that work was generally nearby. I have to spend huge amount of my wages getting to and from work 65 miles away.

Do NOT buy any of the "off the shelf" bio prosessors, you can easly build one that is far safer and a lot ceaper (well under £500) with a little time and effort.

HDI's will run on bio made from waste oil as long as it's well made bio,
it's not that hard to make but is time consumeing.

For more info visit vegetableoildiesel.co.uk
For prosessor disgn google Graham Laming biodiesel to get a rough idea and the ask questions on the veg forum.

WARNING bio makeing can be addictive.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Peter.N. wrote:When I had my first car in 1956 petrol was 5/- a gallon (25p in monopoly money) I was earning £5.00 per week as a TV engineer, so my total wages would buy 20 gallons of petrol - compare that with now. :shock:
Peter
When I had my first car in 1970, petrol was 4/11d a gallon and I was earning about £15 per week, so fuel prices haven't stayed the same in real terms. In the UK, well over 3/4 of the pump price is TAX. The reason for rising fuel prices in the UK is that crude oil is priced in US$, while the £'s value was steadily falling against every major currency in the world, so was the price of crude. Recently the price of crude steadied and then started to rise - unlike the £ which has carried on sinking!

Just like last year, as soon as the weather starts to get warm, fuel prices start climbing - so we'll be driving around in a chip van again even though the price of veg oil has risen noticeably (that falling £), 90p/L is a lot cheaper than 120p+. Last year I found that the ideal mix seemed to be 75% veg 25% Shell (quite smelly enough, but the Shell kept pre-ignition under control without tinkering with the timing).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Running veg oil will show up any engine/fuel system problems that you wont notice with diesel,
so if your engine/fuel system is in good condition veg is no problem.
I would say that if you were haveing preignition/pinking/diesel knock that your injectors need looking at or your timing is to far advanced.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

Xac wrote:
oxtailsoup wrote:Can you put sunflower/veg oil straight into your tank? Diesel of course :lol:
Yes as long as you have a bosch pump (ie 1.9TD Xantia)
HDi's and Lucas cannot cope with veg.
If you have an HDI is it possible to mix any veg oil in with the diesel?
Cost me £75 to fill up yesterday 62lts @ £1.199 :shock:
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Julz wrote:
Xac wrote:
oxtailsoup wrote:Can you put sunflower/veg oil straight into your tank? Diesel of course :lol:
Yes as long as you have a bosch pump (ie 1.9TD Xantia)
HDi's and Lucas cannot cope with veg.
If you have an HDI is it possible to mix any veg oil in with the diesel?
Cost me £75 to fill up yesterday 62lts @ £1.199 :shock:
A quick ansser is NO, you run a big risk of doing major damage to the HP pump, some will say it can be done if you twin tank it and only run on the veg when the engine is hot, but it is not a good idea to risk it.

Bio diesel is the only real option for an HDI, and then it has to be well made.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The problem is that unless you do your own repairs the cost of repairing/replacing the fuel pump will probably be more that you save in fuel.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Old-Guy wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:When I had my first car in 1956 petrol was 5/- a gallon (25p in monopoly money) I was earning £5.00 per week as a TV engineer, so my total wages would buy 20 gallons of petrol - compare that with now. :shock:
Peter
When I had my first car in 1970, petrol was 4/11d a gallon and I was earning about £15 per week, so fuel prices haven't stayed the same in real terms. In the UK, well over 3/4 of the pump price is TAX. The reason for rising fuel prices in the UK is that crude oil is priced in US$, while the £'s value was steadily falling against every major currency in the world, so was the price of crude. Recently the price of crude steadied and then started to rise - unlike the £ which has carried on sinking!

Just like last year, as soon as the weather starts to get warm, fuel prices start climbing - so we'll be driving around in a chip van again even though the price of veg oil has risen noticeably (that falling £), 90p/L is a lot cheaper than 120p+. Last year I found that the ideal mix seemed to be 75% veg 25% Shell (quite smelly enough, but the Shell kept pre-ignition under control without tinkering with the timing).
The fact of the matter of course was that not many people could afford cars then, I was a TV engineer which at that time was a well paid job, if you saw a teenager driving a car in the '50s the chances were that he was a TV engineer, it was partly the relative drop in the cost of fuel that increased the number of car owners.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

My 2.1 td 1991 H Manual has just done 250 miles on 30 quid @ 1.23ppl!

Thats 45 mpg ish, maybee 44, but thats 4 more miles to a gallon then the Xantia!!

Im quite impressed with that, and not pincy enough to risk the fuel system with Veggie, mind you, she has Lucas, which is noo good for that anyway.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
seisporting

Post by seisporting »

C5 Averaging 57.4MPG at the minute.
Not bad as it doesnt get an easy life...