Diesel PRices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Still, compared with the depreciation that owners of new or nearly new cars (not to mention the high service costs) face, a few pence on a litre makes a difference - but not as big as some would have us believe. Doing 30,000 miles a year in a 35 mpg new car will cost around £4,500. Expensive yes, but at 99p a litre it'd still be £3,850 for fuel. Compare that to a drop in resale value (plus the odd service at the dealership) - which could easily be around £5,000 - and it's still 'small beer'.

OK it's expensive to run a car. It makes running a car that cost less than a grand (and manages over 30 mpg say) the sensible choice. Even my BX which struggles to reach 30 mpg most of the time, represents a relatively cheap form of motoring.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

After being stung by a tampered chip and pin machine I use the pay at pump facility at the local ASDA.

Unfortunately it has a £70 spending limit, which got me just 3/4 of a tank the other day.

Guess the kids will have to eat less. :twisted:
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The price here in Sheffield is around the 115.9 ppl mark. Unfortunately the XMs off the road for a top end rebuild so I can't currently use any of the 130 litres of svo I've got stored but with the help of a scangauge I'm getting nearly 50 mpg around town out of the A170 CDI. It's surprising just how much you can increase mpg by picking the right gear/revs/speed and coasting when possible.

I'd love to be able to persuede all motorists to leave their cars at home and catch public transport (like the politicians pretend they want us to do!) and watch the country come to it's knees without the money and flexibility that motorists provide. Oh and watch the public transportation choke under a load it couldn't possibly manage.

Steve.
not applicable
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

In this part of France, diesel price is €1,11 a litre, petrol €1,39.

That is, diesel = £1.00 a litre; petrol = £1.25 a litre.

It's steadily creeping up. Luckily I only need only one tankful a month.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

superloopy1 wrote:Veggie better than sunflower, both on offer?
I didn't give it a second thought Mike, so on reflection if sunflower oil is thinner, I would chose it next time (assuming there's no difference in cetane between the two).

Those with tired, old fuel pumps might actually benefit from the thicker fuel though.

If I had the space, I would seriously consider making my own WVO processor.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

MikeT wrote:
I didn't give it a second thought Mike, so on reflection if sunflower oil is thinner, I would chose it next time (assuming there's no difference in cetane between the two).

Those with tired, old fuel pumps might actually benefit from the thicker fuel though.

i have thought about wvo but the processing seems a bit long winded and the boiling of the wvo to remove the glycerins seems a bit dodgy in the garage but as i have only read about it i'm not sure either way i could do with speaking to someone who knows a lot more about the process costs and benefits
time and space i have got (well once i can sell my four bikes) its knowledge of the procedure i lack :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Our local Shell garage the prices are £1.209 for DERV and £1.199 for Petrol. I filled up with £30 of DERV the other day and I had a terrible burning sensation in my trousers next to my wallet pocket :lol:
I then went to Morrison's to pick up some soothing liquid aka veggie oil at 85ppl. At one point a year or 2 ago I was running on grapeseed oil as it was even cheaper than rapeseed! Felt quite strange putting green oil into the fuel tank :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
oxtailsoup

Post by oxtailsoup »

Spain (Almeria) is 1.04 euros a litre for diesel and 1.16 for sin plomo (unleaded :D ).
oxtailsoup

Post by oxtailsoup »

Can you put sunflower/veg oil straight into your tank? Diesel of course :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: Felt quite strange putting green oil into the fuel tank :lol:
Looks just like LHM doesn't it Kev :lol:

Tastes quite nice when you actually cook with it too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

tonupteabag wrote:
MikeT wrote:

i have thought about wvo but the processing seems a bit long winded and the boiling of the wvo to remove the glycerins seems a bit dodgy in the garage but as i have only read about it i'm not sure either way i could do with speaking to someone who knows a lot more about the process costs and benefits
time and space i have got (well once i can sell my four bikes) its knowledge of the procedure i lack :wink:
No need to boil or process to "remove glycerins", I suspect your thinking of making biodiesel which is far more complicated.

I chuck all mine into a 205L drum and leave it to settle. All the crud will sink to the bottom. The good oil gets pumped off the top through a prefilter into a second drum which is heated and insulated. It gets heated to 60 degrees and left to stand for 2 days. When the oil is hot it's thinner, so all the water will seperate out to the bottom of the tank. You don't want to boil it off, as this will leave behind contaminants that the water has picked up. Next, it gets pumped through a 5 micron filter and into my tank :)

It is a messy business, and you do need a bit of space, but the upside is I've done 28,000 miles on fuel that costs 10ppl. It is also strangely addictive and satisfying :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sid try looking around for local gas bottle suppliers as a few round me don't advertise they do LPG but i know they do and are generally no more than 45ppl and one was 39p last time i looked!

Round me Vpower is 122.9 at the Shell closest to my work.
Normal Diesel and Petrol are 114.9 at a BP just across the road from my office but they didn't have Ultimate in last time i went past :(

My car at best does 31mpg but generally between 23-17 :(

May have to DIY LPG install at some point at this rate and put a small tank in the boot as mines a work hack. at best i have seen 370ish miles out of my tank.

Once got just over 700 out of my 1.9td Veg oil xantia :( that was 70ppl then from costco & bookers.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

oxtailsoup wrote:Can you put sunflower/veg oil straight into your tank? Diesel of course :lol:
Yes as long as you have a bosch pump (ie 1.9TD Xantia)
HDi's and Lucas cannot cope with veg.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its currently 119.9 at my local shell for diesel. Its gone up 5p in the last week! Cost me £80 to fill up the C5, never have i hade to spend so much filling it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

For my tuppence worth .......

Fuel is one thing that has not realy gone up in price since 1950.

The reason that I believe this is that when I left school and started my working life I was earning 75p per hour, petrol was 75p per gallon. When I was moaning one day to one of my older work mates about having to work for an hour to by a gallon of fuel, he sat and thought back, then said that when he left school in 1950, he was earning one gallon of petrol per hour, so in real terms, the price was the same.

Now if you do a very rough conversion and say that fuel is £1.20 per liter x 4.5 = £5.40 per gallon. A young lad leaving school now would be earning about a gallon of fuel per hour.

So I think that I am correct in stating that the price of fuel has stayed pretty much the same in line with wages??

Regards.
Martin.

PS I still have a moan about it though and run on veg cos its cheaper, :wink: