Insurance Question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

citronut wrote:you cant drive on someone elss's insurance, unless you are a named driver on that policy, or the other person has got a policy which allows any drive, but im sure the later will cost an arm and 10 legs,

as said earlyer when borrowing someone ellss's car it has usualy has to be covered by your own policy

regards malcolm
it's possible with most companies to get another driver added to you policy on a short-term basis (few days or weeks).

If driving another car on 3rd party, you need to remember that you can only cover one car / driver at any one time, ie. you can't drive a friends car on your policy while your spouse is driving your car on your policy at the same time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A little off-topic perhaps but all this shenanigans over insurance, especially those suffering after being involved in an incident with uninsured drivers, makes me think it's time there was an element added to our tax disc cost to cover a very basic 3rd party insurance scheme. It would both obviate what happened to you Will, give us some measure of protection from the TWOCers and Chavs and ensure that it's legal at least to drive any car as required.

I believe this kind of scheme operates in New Zealand. The additional tax disc cost might well be offset by a reduction in normal insurance policy costs.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The thing is, I'm pretty sure the uninsured tax on insurance is a % rather than fixed amount so with insurance costing so much chances are they're raking in a lot more money that way.
In order to get a tax disc you have to have paid for insurance and therefore paid the uninsured tax, so the number of people paying is going to be pretty much the same either way, so it's down to how much they can skim off us.

Insurance discs along with tax discs have been shown in other countries to be a good tool against uninsured drivers.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

this is proving a most difficult 're-entry' into car driving! all I want is one of my two cars to be legal so I can put the honda away while its freezing wet and dangerous lol

I can insure the 406, 430 GBP a year, no cover for any other car... 510 from Admiral gives me the same but covers me TP for other cars..
I can swap the 406 for the xant when the Xant has an MOT.. (It wont pass in the near future)

but.. I cant get the insurance into DVLA's system for some time, therefore I cant online tax either car.. its not instant, DVLA want up tp two weeks to update the national computer

Opinions welcome... if I post off a tax application, backdated to 01 April, and take photocopies of the paperwork, will the car get crushed when i am caught, taxless, in this modern age?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You can tax it in a post office as soon as you have the insurance covernote.
Pain in the bum queueing but needs must sometimes.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Steve, problem is, due to some religous chocolate egg festival, I wont get the CN until sat at earliest.. worst case Tuesday! :(
I want to drive tomorrow, even Friday,,

I cant get an original CN, I CAN get a fax of CN? ... annoyed at myself for this last minute problem.,,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't take this as absolute gospel John but I believe the Post Office will accept a fax provided it has it's header intact (the bit that shows the originating number and transmission date etc).

Be worth checking with the PO first though...

A fax is considered generally to be fully equivalent to the original document, unlike a straight photocopy, due to the transmission methods used. It's very difficult to tamper with a fax due to the transmission protocols used.

If you can get the fax and it's transmission journal entry as well, that might help even more.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you tax online you can drive without the tax disc displayed for five days now. Maybe you could twist that to your advantage somehow?

Is the P.O. not open Saturday?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks both :) there is hope for a V6 run to Devon after all :)
Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

jgra1 wrote: Opinions welcome... if I post off a tax application, backdated to 01 April, and take photocopies of the paperwork, will the car get crushed when i am caught, taxless, in this modern age?
After 2 recent house moves I've found myself without tax for several months on my cars. The first being for nearly 6 months and last year a month.
The first time my V5 got lost in the post somewhere so I never got the reminder, first I knew was when the new owners of my house sent through the £80 fine after putting 2 reminders in the bin.

I managed to get it all sorted quite simply on both occaisions with a call to my local DVLA office, they are ones who deal with such issues rather than Swansea.
You can't back-date tax at the post office, which was my problem last year, I missed the renewal by a day, so had to renew from the next month at the PO and then contact the DVLA about the missing month. If you give them a call they are normally very helpful. I think the threat of crushing is just to scare persistant tax evaders.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D

I am now insured to drive a car! a coupe... and will fit a steering rack to it tomorrow and proceed to Devon at some speed ;)

The insurance company emailed me a PDF of the certificate, which the post office will be happy with... progress eh? :)

I will go through the long list on the xantia and fix what I can, get an MOT and sell or lend out the coupe and try to live cheaply for once :twisted:
thanks for all posts etc
John
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

£450 John?! You lucky git, wish my insurance was that cheap :twisted:

Glad its sorted now though :)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes indeed John, result :D Not a bad price for a 406 V6 all things considered...
red_dwarfers wrote:£450 John?! You lucky git, wish my insurance was that cheap :twisted:

Kev, I'd better not tell you that sum covers me for an Activa and a V6...

That's the good part of being old....

To insure Robyn on her 206 with her as a named driver on my policy costs another £1,000

:twisted:
Jim

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I won't say what I'm paying for the Coupe, or what I'll be paying on top for the Activa when it gets reinsured... :cry:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:roll: :cry:

last year 700 got me fully comp on Coupe (group 18 or 19), same for xantia and most importantly, same for 1984 import LHD 5 ton 5.7 L chev.. now i am not far off that for just one of those,,,

dont crash! :evil:

glad i am legal and out of the rain, but. at 35 with 13 years of unblemished driving, these last 3 years throwing xantia bumpers at offending vehicles is hurting :D