veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Apparently veg doesn't burn cleanly in HDi's and coats the cylinder walls with goo that ultimayely breaks the piston rings.
Shame!

I ran mine on bio for several months and had no issues with it at the time, no different to ordinary diesel BUT I did have problems with an injector after I had stopped using it which may or may not have been attributable.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

just incase anyone is getting confused and ends up putting the wrong stuff in the tank:

veg, svo, wvo is vegetable oil, same as what you buy in a corner shop. totally unsuitable for lucas or direct injection.

bio, biodiesel is processed vegetable oil supposedly to have the same consistancy as diesel. some manufacturers stat what % biodiesel can be safely used in their cars. Not all biodiesel is the same.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

still lost on this, i have a C5 2.2 HDI, can i use veg oil, and what is svo, i understand that wvo is ' waste veg oil '
why oh why did i buy a C5.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

SVO is Straight Vegetable Oil (i.e. unadulterated or in any other way processed. Straight off the shelf and into your tank :) )

Swiped from another forum:
Tesco's veg oil.3 litre bottles buy one get one free.Put the basket away went outside and fetched a trolley.I emptied the shelves 48 litres of "fuel" for twenty quid.
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

steve, can i use it in mine, more from the point of just annoying the Gov rather than any massive financial saving. don't want to mess my car up just for the sake of it.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sijrayner wrote:still lost on this, i have a C5 2.2 HDI, can i use veg oil, and what is svo, i understand that wvo is ' waste veg oil '
Go to www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum

read the information and you'll find everything you need to know.

cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not in a C5, no. If it were possible I would have been doing it for ages - wish I had known about this dodge when I had the BX and the Xantia.

I first heard of it from the wife of one of the top Linux people.
Where they lived in Wales, they noticed lots of cars smelling like McDonalds and police chasing said cars around.
Also the local supermarkets having suspicious shortages of Mazola :)

I used to see the tax people stopping cars and vans on the Tyne Tunnel approach and checking the fuel in the tanks (still do but less frequently, looking for red diesel now)
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

'tis indeed a shame, i thought for one tiny sec i had a chance of really making the old C5 work for me. never mind, well best luck to all those fortunate enough to be able to use VO.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

sijrayaner,

if you bothered to look at the link I posted for you above you will find lots of info on how to make Bio-diesel out of veg oil be it new oil or even waste oil, it could still save you a packet in running your HDi.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

sorry Nigel, i was reading through it but just posted the reply whilst doing it. i wasn't ignoring your post.
falling-out-with-my-car

there are loads of cheapy xantias still about maybe its worth buying one with a bosch pump and filling it up with veg oil???