Xantia lumpy front at raising and lowering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pretty conclusive then Dom :D

The Activa is seriously hard at the rear in hard mode but yes, there should be a little bit of give. Not a lot though. If it's absolutely rock solid then that's another pretty good pointer.

The speed hump test is the same in essence as the hump-back bridge and arguably speed humps are a lot easier to find than a good old-fashioned hump-back bridge these days, at least on you can attack at a brisk pace...

Remember the rear corners demand a special method to start them undoing and can be tighter than a tight thing. A seriously good sphere tool is required.

It's all in this thread...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Yes, it certainly seems to be the case Jim. I'll go have a push down in a minute and see how it is, as it's been left in normal ride height since last night (naughty I know).

And yes I remember the method of loosening them off while on service high, so I'll have to get cracking making a tool up for the job!

Cheers. Dom.
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Ok, so the back end does move, but only 1-2cm at most, definately not much!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:Ok, so the back end does move, but only 1-2cm at most, definately not much!
That's about right Dom. Spheres are not ruptured then but likely to be about half normal pressure and that's enough to make the rear bounce like Tigger...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

It does seem like the offside moves probably 1-2 cm, and the nearside <1cm, not a lot, but it's hard to judge when it's wet as you slide off the thing!

I'll get the rear corner spheres replaced regardless, then I'm sure I'll consider replacing more once I've done the rear ones.
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

For anyone interested, I used some carb cleaner on the front height corrector today while my brother was moving the height control lever back and forth. Then wiped off as much muck and dirty grease as I could, then used some white spray lithium grease on both the front struts and on the height corrector itself. Surprising what a difference it made as now everything raises and lowers much more smoothly (apart from the characteristic activa side to side movement when raising/lowering), but more importantly the front end raises up as it should from service high or low and doesn't stick.. Which is nice! And I'm pretty certain the front end feels more supple too, which I suppose it should do, so it makes sense.

I did spot a totally knackered inner CV joint gaiter though - I'm starting to doubt my MOT bloke to be honest! Basically the nearside inner gaiter (the one between the gearbox and drive shaft, that is called the inner one isn't it?) is in two pieces. There's been a grumbling sound from down there since I had the car and I assumed it was a wheel bearing, but this could be the cause.. Is there a bearing down there? And if so is it like a cartridge bearing or like a CV joint style bearing??

Cheers, Dom!