XUD9 1.9d slow acceleration?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've never found a DW8 in either the Partner Van (similar enough to the Berlingo) or a 306 to be as lively as the XUD9...

DW8 is based on the XUD anyway I know, but they were more concerned with getting emissions down a bit I think (so its not as lively), I know the figures on paper do not suggest this, but its just my findings.

I thought the EGR did not help, however the later XUD with EGR are still slightly more lively.

DW8's are OK, don't get me wrong :D , They just seem a bit 'flat' compared to a N/A XUD

I seem to remember when this engine first appeared a main dealer tech commented that although they were OK, they were about 10% less economical and 10% less powerful (any thoughts appreciated)

I'm considering a 206D in a couple of months and if I did get one and it went bang I'd be whipping it out and dropping a XUD9 in (and preferably the earlier pre-97 one)

(avoids complaining about the change of timing belt tension arrangement on the DW8) ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
birlengo

Post by birlengo »

I have the 3pin connector already connected to the g/box, will post some pics of concerned 2pin plug.

I agree with running it in as well, since I have been driving it over the last few days it has got slightly quicker, because of the way I am driving it. I don't think it was worn in properly, must have had one lady owner! :wink:

I will adjust this screw as well for bit more poke... 8-)
michael2207
My Cars:

Post by michael2207 »

:lol: :D My XUD9 engined 306 is better revving, quicker and uses less fuel than the :oops: DW8 engined Berlingo I had for work :oops: and 95% of the time the van was unladen (except for me) whereas the 306 usually has 2 or 3 passengers along with me. 306 52-57mpg, berlingo 42mpg max.
:D :lol: I used to have a black '92 BX GTi 4x4; I wonder where it went? :D :lol:
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The XUD9 should be an order of magnitude faster than the DW8.

I would suggest fitting the proper XUD inlet manifolds and should there still be an issue removing the cat and replacing it with a straight pipe.

If it still isn't right after this, there must be a reason, perhaps timing related.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
michael2207
My Cars:

Post by michael2207 »

Don't quote me, but when my berlingo sh1t itself, a citroen breaker told me if i changed the engine to an XUD9, I would need the g'box as the gearing was different - I was getting the whole XUD engine/g'box assembly with 90k on clock for £200 exchange with DW8 running gear. Apparently he sent 10 XUD9 engine/box assembly's to Eircom in Irish Republic, as they were having so much trouble with DW8 Partners/Berlingo's
:D :lol: I used to have a black '92 BX GTi 4x4; I wonder where it went? :D :lol:
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I hadn't thought of gearing, but that does make sense; the power delivery characteristics of the DW8 are completely different from the XUD.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
birlengo

Post by birlengo »

I am having problems in the morning starting the van, I have to spray easy start into the inlet and then crank it over, any ideas on that?

Find below a pic of the engine bay, can someone point out where I adjust the fueling as I cannot seem to find the place as instructed here.

Also what does this connect to, I am hoping this is the reason why my speedo is not working, also any ideas where this plugs into?

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If that's a Bosch pump the fuel adjustment screw should be on the back of the pump directly under the air intake pipe, about where the circlip is.

For your starting problem, I would think that your glow plugs are not working, connect a meter from one terminal to earth, it should read about 10-11 volts when in cold start mode.
michael2207
My Cars:

Post by michael2207 »

Peter.N. wrote:For your starting problem, I would think that your glow plugs are not working, connect a meter from one terminal to earth, it should read about 10-11 volts when in cold start mode.
It could also be the glow plug timer unit
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

might also be worth checking the state of the battery to and charging it for about three days continuosly.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.