XUD9 1.9d slow acceleration?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birlengo

XUD9 1.9d slow acceleration?

Post by birlengo »

Hi,

I had a Berlingo van that had a DW8 which had died, we replaced it with an XUD9 from a 306. It is all running and driving nicely, just a general question regarding acceleration. It is just me or are these extremely slow compared to most cars?

I downshifted into 2nd to overtake a bus and there was nothing there at all! We have checked from air locks and everything but the engine is running sweet. My friend reckons the van is fine and drives ok, but I am sure that there must be something wrong with it.

Is this 1.9d engine really this slow?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

According to Wiki, depending on which XUD9 non-turbo you used it'll have between 64 and 70bhp
The DW8 has 68 or 72bhp and is lighter.

The old 1.9D wasn't known for it's speed, but did well in economy.
Could be the loss of a few horses and the added weight is showing itself in a lack of ooomph.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be that the fueling is a bit on the mean side, if it has a Bosch pump its quite easy to increase it a little, only not to much as it will fail the smoke test. The turbo XUD is a brilliant engine but the non turbo has always been gutless although easier to work on. I wouldnt think that the difference between it and your original engine should be very noticable.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What injection pump did you use on the XUD9? The original 306 one or the original one from the DW8?

It could be very significant. I'll explain when you answer the question :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Reason I asked the above question is that if you did swap pumps you should really use the injectors that go with the pump; especially if swapping Lucas to Bosch or vice versa.

Also, if using a DW8 pump on a 1.9, it may be causing the 1.9 to under-fuel a tad, especially if you are not using the DW8 injectors to go with it.

As for performance, whilst the 1.9D won't set the tarmac alight or do donuts, I can't say as I found it that bad in my old 405GRD. It was steady but in 2nd it would go well enough to pass things.

I only found it a bit sluggish with a ton of caravan hanging off the back of it :lol:

One thing that can make a diesel a bit sliggish is a choked exhaust or cat. You don't say why the DW8 died but I have known a dying engine to block the cat badly in it's death throes, especially if a failed head gasket and overheating killed it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I had a berlingo on a 53 plate but only for a short few months I found it completely gutless and hard work to get any power out of it.
I changed to an xantia 1.9 turbo diesel and have been very happy since there is a heck of a difference without a turbo on the 1.9 diesel esspecially in a wind or uphill. I found it quite comparable to a BX 1.7 Diesel without a turbo.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I had a Xantia 1.9d for about 2 1/2 years and whilst not exactly slow it wasnt particularly nippy either :)

If driven quite hard ie upto 4-5k it would keep its speed and progress through the gears but when overtaking it was an excersise best planned well in advance :)

Having said that fuel economy was pretty good regularly returned over 45 mpg even when giving it some welly

Could just be that the power to weight ratio is not suited to the vehicle

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote: Could just be that the power to weight ratio is not suited to the vehicle
I can't imagine a Berlingo weighs anything even remotely approaching a Xantia (or even a 405). I'd say that a 1.9NA should give a fair account of itself in a Berlingo...

A 1.7 in a 205 (OK, I know a 205 weighs about the same as a biscuit tin) goes extremely well and I can't imagine a van weighing much more really.
Jim

birlengo

Post by birlengo »

Both the Dw8 and the Xud9 had the Bosch pumps, so I have a spare one now I took of the Dw8 plus injectors.

In swapping over the engines it sits on the mounts and bolts onto the gearbox as a straight swap, we had to use 306 Xud9 rear engine mount, because the Dw8 one is different; the one the driveshaft goes through. We used the Dw8 radiator with the small bottle that sits on top, instead of an Xud9 rad which is different. Used the Dw8 intake manifold and inlet system because thats different as well. Its quite straight forward job, make sure you have all the Xud9 bolts on such as alternator & rear engine mount.

I used a big bottle of Redex today and had a long run, defiently seemed to clear it up and given the engine bit more speed. Its running pretty nicely now; very economical. So far I am happy with it.

How do I adjust the Bosch pump for more power?

On another tangent, I don't appear to have a working speedo... I have a spare 2 pin plug which I could not find the connector for, I suppose this is for the speedo, anyone got an idea where this plugs onto the gearbox?

Thanks
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

With a small flat bladed screwdriver, prise out the cap from the middle of the flying saucer on the top of the pump.
Use a 13mm socket to free the lock nut, then a T27 torx to turn the fun screw at least 3 turns clockwise.
Test drive.
Check the mirror for size of your smile, if it's not big enough, turn the screw a couple more turns and repeat.

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a non turbo it won't have one of those. At the top of the rear of the pump, just above the injector pipe connections you should find a screw with a seal on it, remove the seal and turn the screw about half a turn clockwise, much more it is will smoke.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:If its a non turbo it won't have one of those. At the top of the rear of the pump, just above the injector pipe connections you should find a screw with a seal on it, remove the seal and turn the screw about half a turn clockwise, much more it is will smoke.

Peter
You're right Peter completely forgot NA's don't have that fun screw.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

birlengo wrote: On another tangent, I don't appear to have a working speedo... I have a spare 2 pin plug which I could not find the connector for, I suppose this is for the speedo, anyone got an idea where this plugs onto the gearbox?

Thanks
The speed sensor is on the top of the gearbox diff extension casting where the RH (long) driveshaft enters the gearbox. It's often a three pin device although Peugeot were fond of using two pin sensors. It's normally hiding behind a heatshield and can be easy to miss. Look down at the top of the diff on the back of the gearbox from the engine bay and you should spot it, else you can feel it from underneath.
Jim

trinity060
My Cars:

Post by trinity060 »

i had a 1.8 d lump in my berlingo van but after it went bang i replaced it with a 1.9td lump from a 405. WOW wot a difference
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

In reply to the comments above about these engines not being so quick in either berlingos or xantias, I seem to remember reading sometime ago on here that a diesel has to be driven and driven hard from the word go, my dads vsx 1.9 td xantia hatch doesnt seem quite so pokey to me as my xantia 1.9 td estate (yet he says different) yet there is a slight weight difference, I reckon people try to run in new diesels in Not break them in, which I seem to rember being pointed to on here possibly a year ago with another member who had a berlingo which was consumming oil, after he changed the oil he still had oil consumption but after being advised to screw the guts out of it the oil consumption slowed. I am wondering if this Berlingo engine has been pussey footed around and someone has been a little frightened to drive the vechicle it was in initially, this seems to do damage to the top end of an engine and changes its performance characteristics completely, whilst it runs sweetly and returns a good Mpg it still seems sluggshish compared to other engines of similar size.

maybe it just needs driving hard for a while and regular oil changes to loosen up the engine??? I wonder what the milage is on the new lump.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.