Stebel nautilus horn

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:I've seen lots of CXs fitted with air horns. Are these standard and are they proper French ones (Town & Country ones)?
My DS is fitted with town and country horns, a cheap sounding peep for town use and proper air horns for country use.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

For safety disconnect your battery and wait 5-10 minutes, so make sure you have your radio code to hand.
Use a T30 to undo the two captive bolts behind the steering wheel by turning it one way for one and the other way for t'other.
Gently remove the airbag and disconnect it, then take a look at the horn contacts.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Actually, the book of lies says give the car at least 15 mins with battery disconnected.

you really need to be VERY careful removing the airbag section and not because there is any chance of it going off.

the two wires red and green that are connected to the back of the airbag unit are cable tied to the frame behind the airbag (bottom left) one is earth and one is posative, pressing the centre of the wheel touches them together and sounds the horn by shorting out the frame.

these wires are very short and pulling out the airbag after undoing the screws behind the wheel may also pull out the radio wiring as well you need to extract the airbag section very slowley and carefully. pull the top of the airbag unit out a little more than the bottom and look down over the airbag to the wiring behind it. use a small screwdriver to prise off the ORANGE connector from the centre of the rear of the airbag. This will easily push back in later on.

the red and green wires are cable tied to the frame behind the airbag,(mentioned above). snip the cable tie and this will allow you some cable length to extract the airbag, dont let the airbag fall otherwise it will rip out the radio connection plug as it drops. the black radio connection plug is on the left be very careful not to pull the plug out of its mounting in the bottom of the steering wheel it is only pushed into place. if it is pulled out there is a risk of breaking the ribbon wires that go to the steering wheel radio controls. carefully remove the red and green wire spade connectors from the back of the airbag and withdraw the airbag unit from the wheel.

I have had my steering off on my xantia five times in the last three months and it does get easier.

the screws on the back of the steering wheel that hold the airbag unit in place need to be undone using a magnetic screwdriver bit holder and a 1/4 inch drive socket wrench and adapter. if you have an other half nick her makeup mirror and put it behind the steering wheel with the wheel turned at 45 degrees and you should be able to see the bolts and which angle they are at this should give you a way to locate them better with the star bit. they are often set at an angle and this can make it tricky locating them to undo them.

the bolts are capitive bolts so dont expect them to come out of the back of the wheel, when they are undone, support the airbag unit whilst undoing the second bolt as dropping it could prove fatal by tearing out the wiring behind it.

hope this helps to prevent you doing any damage along the way.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

Post by davidc »

sorry a bit off post but how did you get on with replacing the airbag wiring cassette? I had the same problem with thing making noises when turning the wheel. I found a replacement but a little unsure if there is a correct procedure for the reinstall?
cheers
David
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Actually,

you really need to be VERY careful removing the airbag section and not because there is any chance of it going off.

the two wires red and green that are connected to the back of the airbag unit are cable tied to the frame behind the airbag (bottom left) one is earth and one is posative, pressing the centre of the wheel touches them together by shorting out the frame.

these wires are very short and pulling out the airbag after undoing the screws behind the wheel may also pull out the radio wiring as well you need to extract the airbag section very slowley and carefully. use a small screwdriver to prise off the ORANGE connector from the centre of the rear of the airbag. This will easily push back in later on.

the red and green wires are cable tied to the frame behind the airbag,(mentioned above). snip the cable tie and this will allow you some cable length to extract the airbag, dont let the airbag fall otherwise it will rip out the radio connection plug as it drops. the black radio connection plug is on the left and this can be gently prized appart again using a small electrical screwdriver, be very careful not to pull the socket out of its mounting in the bottom of the steering wheel it is only pushed into place. if it is pulled out there is a risk of breaking the ribbon wires that go to the steering wheel radio controls.

I have had my steering off on my xantia five times in the last three months and it does get easier.

the screws on the back of the steering wheel that hold the airbag unit in place need to be undone using a magnetic screwdriver bit holder and a 1/4 inch drive socket wrench and adapter. if you have an other half nick her makeup mirror and put it behind the steering wheel with the wheel turned at 45 degrees and you should be able to see the bolts and which angle they are at this should give you a way to locate them better with the star bit. they are often set at an angle and this can make it tricky locating them to undo them.

hope this helps to prevent you doing any damage along the way.

regards Nigel.
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special
2009 Mercedes Benz ML 320 cdi
seisporting

Post by seisporting »

My Cinq has a dixie horn 8-)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

David,c , (appolagies Gingerposer but someone did ask).

if you follow the instructions above for airbag removal then unplug the flat ribbon cable on the left hand side the orange plug and the black plug will exit through the steering wheel as you remove the wheel.

lock the steering lock and use a 50mm star bit to undo the steering wheel.
put some bluetac on the starbit which helps with the wheel bolt extraction.
you might need a 3/8th rachet and a bar over it for some extra leverage, these bolts can be very tight. they do have threadlock on them.

pull the steering wheel away after releasing the steering lock with the ignition key and linning up the wheel in a straight position, after removing the steering wheel retainning bolt I mark the wheels position with some tippex or white paint on a fine brush which makes it easier to line up the steering wheel as it goes back.

once the wheel is off undo the three retainning bolts around the wiring cassette, now you will need to remove the lower steering colunm plastic cowling exposing the lower steering colunm.

up on the left hand side of the steering colunm you should see the path of the two ribbon cables from the wiring cassette.

pull them forward gently and unclip the connectors, the wiring cassette should now be released and you should be able to pull it forward clear of the housing around the steering colunm. make a note of the path the wires take around the steering colunm.
and as the book of lies says the replacement is the reversal of the removal proceedure. fairly straight forward really,

check the plugs on the wiring loom under the dashboard make sure they are compatable as I found out they differ according to model and year quite a lot. if is the case you will need plugs to fit from a breakers the wires are all numbered on the ends of the plugs. the horn wires are yellow and green, the radio wires are all brown.(three of them).

I had to splice and solder in different plugs to fit but it all worked out fine in the end and first time to, I left the old plugs in position in case I needed another new cassette in the future, it gives me a chioce of two different sets of plugs..

when I first removed the airbag and steering wheel to replace the steering colunm it took me at least an hour, now it takes me 10 mins to strip it down to the colunm. even easier at the scrap yard because you dont have to put it all back together and the spare cassette was only £5.00
what I call cheap and cheerful.
In future I shall take the cassette out completely as a whole unit when I want to strip it all down I will never unclip the side of the cassette again and pull out the wire, which is probably where I went wrong in the beginning.
hope this helps regards Nigel. :taz:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.