plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fox</i>

Does anyone elses Plip have a rubbish range?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Of the 2 plips I have one has obviously been used a lot (buttons are very worn) and has a very short range (have to be withing a few feet of the car). The other is in near mint condition and will work the locks/alarm from about 15 feet away..
With the older IR version you had to be quite close to the car and line the beam up with the receptor built into the roof by the rear view mirror. The one I had on the BX was even worse especially from the back if the screen was wet.
Personally I prefer them not having too great a range. My brother's vauxhall works from a fair distance and I think there is too much danger of it unlocking accidentally.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I can lock my C5 upstairs at the back of my house with it on the path - the RF plips work from a great distance for locking, but the unlock range is much shorter - I'd like to think this is by design. Accidental unlocking isn't a problem on all the multiplex Citroen's as they all automatically relock themselves after 30 seconds if you don't open the doors. The later plips are unnecessarily large though - the actual circuit board is tiny - its just airspace.
You can buy replacement Plip housings for Xantia's from the dealers for about £6.50, although most parts departments are either oblivious to the existance of the part, or would rather sell you a new plip becuase they say they can't get them! The dealer I now use for my parts and service stuff showed me a box full of them and said they shift loads of them.