Tyre buying....Readers beware! UPDATED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

:lol: Sorry, only downside to owning a C6, perhaps?

Or, you could go with Falkens at £220 a pair fitted. :) Feel any better? :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Tyre buying....Readers beware!

Post by Citroenmad »

stevetheskaterboy wrote: (I know some of you prefered the old Michelin energy to the new ones, If its any help, Kleber are owned by Michelin and Having talked to their head office in france with my quite decent french, I have been told directly by Kleber that the previous compound and tread design of the the energy saver will be used on the new Dynaxer thats being released on mid 2010, thought that may be useful for you all!)[/b]
Interesting, might be one to look out for.

I like Kleber tyres, had them on a Fiat Stilo, they were pretty great. Looked very similar to the michlin energy actual, even the rubber looked a similar compound. They performed very well, very good in thw wet and didnt wear badly either. Id buy those again. Presumably the newer version is just a bit more up to date model, though hopefully not on the new michelin energysaver, which i think are awful tyres - far to saggy.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

Well I agree on the Pirelli issue!

Lets face it, safety is a priority, and If your bunging £400 for some new shoes you want quality don't you think? I don't think that a sidewall egg arriving so quickly is a good sign lol.

As for the wanli's, they appear to be taking it all in their stride, true no match for top notch, expensive bling rubber, but at the price and considering that I had Pirellis that appeared to have a Olive oil fetish or a personality disorder..... they work a treat!

And on the Kleiber note, I have a definate conformation in writing of the new dynaxer tyres, seems that they are 100% the last Michelin energy saver tyre with stiffer sidewalls for better handling and a rim protecting flange built in, so the ones like me and many others who were unimpressed with the latest incarnation will be very happy, especially with the approx £68.00 tyre price that they intend!!!

Oh and before I forget, Wanli and Sunny are one and the same, it seems from the research I have been doing, sunny's have a slightly softer compound and are sold mostly in hotter countries, seems a lot of them are sold in Italy and Spain, not so much here.
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

Oh and the thread will be continuing.... since Dads Merc is now in need of more boots after driving around like a nutjob across the uk for meetings in the past 3 months

The tyres being fitted are.....Fulda EcoControl's

Have got very good reviews so far, and good wet grip by all accounts, they are being fitted at midday, then Im driving the C8, My sis is driving the C1 and dads driving the a class all the way to the scottish highlands, for a family shindig (aka wedding lol) with a full quota of passengers, so when we arrive ill be letting you know the first set of results after some car swapping lol :D

Tell me what you want to know and it will be included
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

MoT 14th Feb - passed without problems. Only advisory was 'nail in O/S/R tyre' (actually a steel-piercing self-tapper through the shoulder) - the newest of 5 Michelin Energys and in an 'unrepairable' position.

Best trade price for another was £69 (plus VAT) - ouch, that's around a 50% increase in little over a year. Went for an Avon (£31) as a decent alternative with the oldest Michelin needing to be replaced before long.

I had Avons for years on successive Montego Estates. Excellent wet grip, low road noise but inclined to squeal loudly on white lines and polished concrete, reasonably good wear for a softish compound and didn't develop nasty manufacturing flaws like the factory-fitted (Japanese) Dunlops did. When I fit the second Avon, I'll move both to the front and report on how they do.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

I have had many brands over the years and some years ago changed to Continental ContiSport Contact on my previous Volvo. Quiet and high mileage. I stuck with them on my current high performance Volvo and have used them for the past 10 years on it. They last a lot longer than any other brand, are quiet and have good grip.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Citroenmad wrote::lol: Sorry, only downside to owning a C6, perhaps?

Or, you could go with Falkens at £220 a pair fitted. :) Feel any better? :roll:
I recently fitted a pair of Falken ZE912s to the front of my Xantia V6. I am a bit disappointed. They seem (under enthusiastic cornering) to understeer more than the Michelin Energys, not sure if the sidewalls are too flexible, or if they just don't have the dry grip.