Accident advice needed

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks to all for advice.

Been trying to phone the insurance company all weekend but no joy, finally got through this evening to be told the office is closed.

Will phone again in morning and go from there. I just hope this will be as painless as possible.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

All in the insurers hands now.

They have confirmed I will pay no excess as no damage to the Xantia, which is good. However, shopping around for quotes and I'm still going to get bent over :(

I just can't understand why previous to this accident, I was considered such a risk. My younger sister who is on a provisional can get it cheaper than me.

Means I'm going to have to seriously think about what to do. Cheapest it will now be to insure both is around £2000 on a multicar policy :cry:
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I just can't understand why previous to this accident, I was considered such a risk. My younger sister who is on a provisional can get it cheaper than me.
The clue's right there dude, your younger Sister. Insurance is so loaded for young men its crazy.
Here's an interesting one for all young drivers, add your girlfriend on your ins policy as a named driver, it usually makes the insurance cheaper :shock: but true.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Its better to add your mother than add your girlfriend or wife to be honest until they are over about 27-28 seems to be the threshold of late.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

The weighting there is the insurers consider a provisional driver to be lower risk, because they are supposed to have someone else in the car when driving. Or so I was told when my insurance went UP on passing my test.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Unfortunately the statistics show that young male drivers are a SUBSTANTIALY higher risk than any other driver group. Of course this means that young careful male drivers will suffer these loaded premiums as there is no way for them to prove they are any less a risk than others in the same category. To be fair , young drivers are less experienced by virtue of their age so are inevitably a higher risk than older more experienced drivers , in general. I do know some older drivers who don't seam to have developed by experience beyond the time they passed their test !! Again though , they are a statistical minority.
Looking back at my first years of driving , that despite driving with skill I had a tendency to underestimate the risk in some circumstances , eg , I had to cure myself of tailgating ! However , in all the time I have been driving I have only ever had one own fault accident , and that was minor.
Now I just observe the appalling driving standards and stupid manoeuvres of the vast majority of drivers on todays roads and just try to avoid becoming part of their problem.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Insurers here won't release stats, but here's my two bob's worth:

I drive a lot (35000+km/yr), and not on regular commutes - presently about 75/25 city/country and the routes are a mix of all types road and conditions. It means I get to see the behaviour of other drivers in a variety of situations.

Guess who want to "race" the most? Thirty-something women in 4WDs. By race, I mean want to be the fastest in traffic and won't tolerate someone else being ahead of them. You can speed match them and they'll exceed the limit without hesitating.

Tailgaters - They're young women in small cars, WVM and small delivery trucks (no order, just the common groups).

Most people on the road don't see bikes, don't see trailers and don't understand how they can "help" the latter - usually without slowing themselves. The near misses I see too often, are breathtaking.

I'm a believer in minimising exposure to risk; if it's safer (but slower) to go another way in adverse conditions then I will take it. Being a creature of habit is a good way to numb the mind. When entering a dangerous situation I am always "horn ready" in addition to covering the brake.

Driving with at least parkers on, is a good way to make people aware your car is NOT parked on the roadside. :roll: As Citroëns don't jiggle up and down so much as conventionally sprung cars, people often get a distorted idea about how fast you're going.

When possible, I like to "experiment" with a car's handling by throwing it around. While this might seem a bit boneheaded, if it's done in a safe way you get a much better idea for how a car behaves when it's exceeding the limits of grip.

If you have multiple cars, possibly try a genuine insurance broker - I'm sure the UK still has them. Another thing that lowers cost here with specialty car insurers, is belonging to a car club, and also having a track licence (this one is a $90 investment that saves double the amount on insurance).
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Morning All,

Just 'chipping my two penny worth' in. I have to say that I was 'gobsmacked' :shock: :shock: last year when I bought the C6. My previous insurance company refused to insure me, even though I'd been with them over 5 years. Apparently the Insurance Companies rate car into groups (mine being Group 16). However, this isn't the problem,The problem is that after that each individual company can set their own group.

In my case it almost double 16 to 28. My previous company refused to accept the car because that would put it in the same bracket as the Zonda F :roll: :roll:

After a day spent shopping via the net, I actually got the quote down from £2765 to £556, I'm afraid the old adage applies, "It pays to shop around" :lol: :lol: This is incedently cheaper than I was paying on the C5, if only by a few quid. :?
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bet you didn't tell the missus "Hey, I just saved us £2200!"... :lol:
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Daft I maybe :lol: :lol: :lol:

stupid, only occassionally :oops: :oops: :oops:
Steve

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Ok, I reported the accident to my insurance company yesterday.

Today I've recieved a letter from the other party's insurers saying that they hold me responsible and to pass the letter on to my insurers. It also asks me for details.

I phoned up my insurance company about this letter and they say ignore it, it's a standard letter and if they want details they can get them easily. I've reported the accident and that it all I can do, leave it with them.

Does this sound right?
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

without a doubt, that's what they get paid for
Steve

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Right, well my insurers paid for accident damage to TP car. Thought that was the end of it.

Being shafted on insurance for it now though.

All is ok til this morning.

I recieve a letter informing me that the TP is making a personal injury claim. To say I'm livid is an understatement. I couldn't have hit him at more than 5mph and on exiting the car he was absolutely fine. I know whiplash can take a few days to show itself but more than a month after the incident is taking the proverbial.

He is claiming all sorts of injuries and I can only say they are tenuous at best.

I have motor legal protection, can I assume that on reporting said letter to my insurers that they will sort this out for me?
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

They should take care of it for you yes, unfortunatly this is why our insurance costs are so high......bloody American sue culture :evil: .
My Dad had tthis sort of thing a while ago too, he recieved a letter saying he was being pursued for costs by Mr 'X' (the other guy involved in the equal blame accident) luckily my dad had the guys number on his phone from when they exchanged details so he called him and basicaly asked why he was doing this, the reply was "im not, i thought your were taking legal action against me?, i recieved a letter this week!"
Turned out each persons insurance company was sueing the other party to reclaim 'costs'..................thankfully they were rumbled before it went too far but its still damn annoying!!!
Best of luck Toby

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............