CV Boot Clip, How to Fit?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's easy to do the RH side as the intermediate bearing holds everything nicely in place but on the LH side it'll be near impossible because of the shortness of the shaft and getting a good grip on it.

Generally, yes, easy to knock the joint off using a few well-aimed blows from a hide hammer whilst counter-holding the rest of the shaft in the gearbox but as I say, it's not easy on the short shaft.

I've always wimped out and accepted the gearbox oil will spill...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Dug out a rubber mallet, worked a treat. Thanks Jim :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D :D :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

evilally wrote: I'm doing the other side. Is there any way to get the CV joint off without removing the whole shaft and putting it in a vice?
As CitroJim says, you'll have to accept it's going to come out of the gearbox end. Take it off hold it vertically with the CV joint at the bottom and whack it with a rubber mallet, shouldn't take much to get it off.

And make sure you have new circlips because 9 out of 10 times they will bust.