All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by KP »

Why even think of a nice diesel then? ;) you know the diesel will be a little bit more but will sell for more being the type it is..

User avatar
DHallworth
Donor 2016
Posts: 2302
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 18:05
x 72

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DHallworth »

I briefly thought about it this morning but have since discarded the idea and am looking at V6's and V8's again now :)

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by KP »

Stop being boring and get one to mix things up a bit :p

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 11645
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1363

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This more to your taste?;

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/0 ... d-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Impreza. Everyone should own one at some point in their life. A mid 90s import WRX with the 260bhp motor and short ratio gearbox. Cheap, sound lovely with the standard pipe on and look nice if standard. Hilariously quick.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 44009
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1779

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:Impreza. Everyone should own one at some point in their life.
They say the same thing about an Alfa.. How about a nice Alfa V6 David :wink:

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

David might not to spend the winter waiting for recovery trucks... plus, 260bhp, 4wd and a decent set of winter tyres and they fly in the snow :-)

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.

User avatar
Mandrake
Posts: 8313
Joined: 10 Apr 2005, 17:23
x 372

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Mandrake »

DHallworth wrote:I just cannot get on with Diesels. They've got such a narrow power band, they sounds noisy and rattly and run on jungle juice that stinks.
David.
That's my feeling on Diesels too. I've driven a few but never owned one, and I'm hoping to keep it that way... :lol:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:This more to your taste?;

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/0 ... d-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks impressive, but can you imagine parking it on or driving it through the narrow UK streets ? :-D

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4896
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
x 15

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DickieG »

Re diesel's it largely depends upon whether you're looking at a wheezy old laggy XUD or a modern 3.0 BMW unit which goes like stink pretty much from idle yet gives a silly amount of MPG, comparing these two is like chalk and cheese. On the other hand once you've driven a decent modern diesel, petrol engines can feel gutless at lower rev's and quite thrashy once you get into their power band.

For the best of both worlds power wise the supercharged 5.5 litre V8 in my Merc takes some beating, 720 nm of torque no lag whatsoever and no need for a radio as you listen to the delicate sound of thunder, considering the 517bhp on tap my average of 22mpg over the past 1,000 miles is quite acceptable, particularly as a fair bit of that mileage has been commuting into north London (North Circular/Hanger Lane etc).

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 11645
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1363

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Somebody else is a fan of Pink Floyd!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 44009
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1779

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Somebody else is a fan of Pink Floyd!
Just what I was thinking James :-D

Richard, that sounds quite some engine..

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 11645
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1363

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have the 'Pulse' double DVD. AWESOME!

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19835
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 1529

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:Re diesel's it largely depends upon whether you're looking at a wheezy old laggy XUD or a modern 3.0 BMW unit which goes like stink pretty much from idle yet gives a silly amount of MPG, comparing these two is like chalk and cheese. On the other hand once you've driven a decent modern diesel, petrol engines can feel gutless at lower rev's and quite thrashy once you get into their power band.

For the best of both worlds power wise the supercharged 5.5 litre V8 in my Merc takes some beating, 720 nm of torque no lag whatsoever and no need for a radio as you listen to the delicate sound of thunder, considering the 517bhp on tap my average of 22mpg over the past 1,000 miles is quite acceptable, particularly as a fair bit of that mileage has been commuting into north London (North Circular/Hanger Lane etc).
I was fixing a window in one of my daughter's houses earlier in the week and a sister car to yours went by - the guy lives a couple of streets from where I was.
The sound was hugely impressive and more authoritative than a yank V8

User avatar
DHallworth
Donor 2016
Posts: 2302
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 18:05
x 72

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DHallworth »

I've driven quite a few modern Diesels.

The 2.7 in the C6, and both the 3.6 and 4.4 TDV8 engines in the Range Rover. Performance wise I've not got any complaints from them, I just find that they have a narrow power band and don't make that V8 growl. Hence when looking for a newer Range Rover recently I bought the Supercharged V8 Petrol rather then the V8 Diesel.

My first car was a 306 HDi which at the time I loved, however once I'd driven V6 petrols for years I've never found a Diesel that makes me smile quite like a petrol does. My problem is if I don't like a car or it doesn't make me smile it'll not last 5 minutes, hence the not really wanting another Diesel!

V6's are nice but you just can't beat that growl of a V8.

David.

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4896
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
x 15

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DickieG »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Somebody else is a fan of Pink Floyd!
Might be, I wish you were here to listen to it :-D