All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent David :-D

I read that with great interest, having a daughter with a 207 that does a very high mileage.

Just what planet was the AA man on thinking the car was drivable with no functional clutch? :evil:

That would have been enough for me to cancel my membership, find a competent recovery service and make a complaint regarding incompetence...

BW

Post by BW »

Really glad the Activa has worked so well. I'll be at Erskine in a couple of weeks with Xantia and 2cv, so look forward to seeing the Activa there (and you of course!).

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I took the exhaust off the XM tonight so that I can get it patched up in preparation for it's MOT on Monday morning. Here's the little hole that I knew about...

Just behind the patch that I put on it 3 years ago when I first got the car.

I then had a quick look down the rest of the pipework and found this little bugger...

Hopefully should be able to shape a patch round it easily enough.

Strangely though, the back two boxes on my exhaust are stainless steel whereas the front silencer and pipework are still mild steel. The rear boxes were a little dirty so I attacked them with some Solvol AutoSol metal polish and they've come up looking rather shiny :) My exhaust is also one piece!

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wonder why they didn't use stainless piping and make a new stainless 'Y' when they replaced the silencers David?

Yours has gone on all the known weak spots were moisture collects...

All the best for the fix and good luck with the MOT on Monday :)

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Well I'm pleased to announce that after a about an hour in the garage, tidying up around the hole, cutting a little patch and welding it on last night the XM has passed it's MOT without even an advisory.

I've never had to do anything other then change the windscreen washer pump on this car in the 4 years I've had it. Am going to look into having a complete stainless exhaust system made up for it before next years MOT is due though.

Anyway, I'm a happy chappy today :) My 100% first time pass rate for 2014 is still intact. Now to stick some tax on it and give the ole girl a little use over the summer.

David.
Last edited by DHallworth on 07 Jul 2014, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

superloopy wrote:Well done to that 'happy choppy' :D
Bloody predictive text!

Suitably edited now :)

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news David. Delighted. So that clears the way to come to the National in it I guess :-D

Is Mr. Happy Choppy a firewood dealer or has he just enjoyed a good Chinese meal?

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Result on the MoT David.

Mark

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

So have I got the last original unpatched ES9 XM exhaust on my car?

hattershaun
Donor 2020

Post by hattershaun »

David, one of B.L.Autos customers had a complete stainless exhaust made for his XM V6 ESJ9, I think it was by P.D.Gough, who advertise in The Citroenian.

Xantia_v6, there's another original exhaust on my mother-in-laws XM, it was replaced with a Citroen genuine one a few years ago whilst they were still in production. Car has only done 39,000 miles mind in 14 years.

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Thanks Shaun.

Will have a look and see what I can find. I want it as close to OE as possible.

Is anyone else looking for one for an ES9 XM? Worth trying to organise a group buy?

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote: Is anyone else looking for one for an ES9 XM? Worth trying to organise a group buy?
The future new owner of mine may be well advised... It's a bit of a patchwork quilt :twisted:

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

DHallworth wrote: Is anyone else looking for one for an ES9 XM? Worth trying to organise a group buy?
Yes, but not in this years budget. I imagine that there would be a market for a few sets in France.

BW

Post by BW »

DHallworth wrote:Thanks Shaun.

Will have a look and see what I can find. I want it as close to OE as possible.

Is anyone else looking for one for an ES9 XM? Worth trying to organise a group buy?

David.
I've been considering one for a while. Do you think that the sound would be the same as with the original Citroen one?

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I've asked for it to be as near to OEM as possible.

Apparently there's a chance it might make a slightly different tone due to the characteristics of stainless steel versus mild steel.

You can however ask them for it to be quietened down using different materials in the boxes.

I was quoted £540 including VAT from C&C Exhausts in Hillington today. Citroen want £545 for the centre section and £291 for the back box!

No brainer for guessing which one I'll be going for!

David.