All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DHallworth »

Well the driveshaft oil seals are now changed and the gearbox now appears to be oil tight :D

At the same time I changed the nylon bushes on the roll control rod and got rid of the awful Pagid brake pads that were on it.

I was looking for something on the shelves in the shed the other day and found two Citroen boxes that were shrink wrapped with my name and address on them. Upon opening them I found two sets of Genuine Citroen Xantia V6 brake pads, the date on the receipt was about two years ago so I must of bought them when I started planning the V6 conversion. I also saw that they only cost me £23 a set which I'm quite pleased about.

The brakes are now much better. There's no fading on them like there was with the Pagid parts. Interestingly, after only having done about 50 miles on the Pagid pads the calipers needed winding back another full turn to get the genuine ones in so I presume they're slightly thicker. The Citroen pads are square so that the full area of the pad is always in contact with the disc whereas the Pagid ones are tapered at the edge so you loose some surface area.

So the Activa is now properly sorted and is ready to be enjoyed properly with it's new V6 :D

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent David :-D Very interesting on the Pagid pads... I'm sure I have those in my V6.

Never found a problem but then I possibly don't drive hard enough to notice :lol:

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi David

Hope your mums ok, it looks like you may be enjoying yourself on the car front at the moment 8-), dont pile too many miles on that V6 Activa will you :lol:

D

Northern_Mike

Re: Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent David :-D Very interesting on the Pagid pads... I'm sure I have those in my V6.

Never found a problem but then I possibly don't drive hard enough to notice :lol:
Do you go fast enough to use the brakes at all Jim?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Excellent David :-D Very interesting on the Pagid pads... I'm sure I have those in my V6.

Do you go fast enough to use the brakes at all Jim?
Judging by the negligible wear on the pads in my Activa over two years and the fact I can't recall the last time I changed pads because of wear I think you may be right Mike :-D :-D :-D

KP

Post by KP »

I think Jim replaces pads when they fall apart!

If he'd bought his hydro cars brand new and still had them they would still be on original rear pads!!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:I think Jim replaces pads when they fall apart!

If he'd bought his hydro cars brand new and still had them they would still be on original rear pads!!
All joking aside Will, I do have to replace tyres because they're time -expired and have sidewall cracks. never because of treadwear :roll:

KP

Post by KP »

Use them for burnouts Jim :D get the use out of them lol

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Mum's well on the way to being back to normal now, thanks Dean.

Won't be putting to many miles on the Activa as the XM has got it's MOT on Monday to share some of the summer duties. Am hoping the XM might make an appearance at the XM 25th Birthday event later in the year.

David.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Use them for burnouts Jim :D get the use out of them lol
If you saw such a thing going on, you'd likely presume you were asleep and having some sort of bizarre dream.

Best car ever for burnouts - Renault 4!

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DHallworth wrote:Mum's well on the way to being back to normal now.
That's very good news, I hope she continues to improve David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote:Mum's well on the way to being back to normal now.
Excellent :-D
DHallworth wrote:Won't be putting to many miles on the Activa as the XM has got it's MOT on Monday to share some of the summer duties. Am hoping the XM might make an appearance at the XM 25th Birthday event later in the year.
All the best for the XM MOT David but I'm sure it will just be a formality...

Looking forward to seeing both of you at the XM 25th Birthday bash :)

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Just need to get the hole in the exhaust sorted first Jim. It's developed a small hole behind a patch that I previously put in on that Y pieces of the exhaust.

Once that's done it should be plain sailing.

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote:Just need to get the hole in the exhaust sorted first Jim. It's developed a small hole behind a patch that I previously put in on that Y pieces of the exhaust.
It's where they always seem to go David :evil:

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Well the sorting of the XM exhaust has been delayed a few days as I got a phone call from Cheryl yesterday saying that her clutch pedal had gone to the floor in the 207 and not returned. She called the AA out who advised that the clutch master cylinder had gone. They were however at one point refusing to recover it as they thought the car was drivable despite having no clutch. I know you can drive with no clutch, however I don't fancy messing around with this one as it's got a dual mass flywheel.

Anyway, Cheryl stayed in Edinburgh last night as she needed to be at work for 6am today which meant that the train would't get her there on time. I decided to take a punt on the AA man being right so I ordered a clutch master cylinder from the main dealer. It was only £41 including VAT so thought it's easier to try that and hope it works rather then change the clutch!

I came home from work tonight and set to it and am pleased to say it's done :) My arms are a bit red and scratched from working down the back of the engine but I'll live.

It's actually not to bad to do. Unclip it from the top of the pedal which was nice and easy then under the bonnet and you can see it poking through the bulkhead. Access was awkward so I took the top half of the air box out and moved the bottom half to one side which gave me the space I needed to work. The high pressure pipe unclipped without any problems, the low pressure one was a little awkward but nothing to complain about.

I had the whole thing changed in about 30 - 40 minutes... then the fun began.

The new master cylinder was leaking like a sieve from the high pressure outlet. So out it came again and when comparing it to the old master cylinder there was no o ring in it. I swapped the o ring to the new master cylinder and refitted it. Much to my annoyance it was still leaking like a sieve, so out it came once again. This time I put the little o ring on the end of the high pressure pipe and built everything back up again and much to my relief it was bone dry this time.

Bleeding it was a little awkward as it was a plastic bleed screw that was in an awkward to get to place that was to tight to undo by hand so I had to wriggle a 13mm spanner onto it.

However, it's done, the car is back on the road and Cheryl doesn't need to use any of my cars :)

Happy days!

David.