All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Mandrake

Re: Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Mandrake »

northern_mike wrote: I would be interested to know how the economy stacks up against an auto V6 too. I'm currently getting around 31-33 mpg (accurately measured) out of mine.
I thought you sold yours ? Did you buy it back ? :lol:

I'm guessing that mpg is longish trips not 30mph stop start which is what I usually do ?
As for the noise - the V6 is way smoother and quieter than the 2.0 TCT.
Interesting. I had a ride in David's Activa when it was still a TCT and I found it pretty quiet inside, I'd say quieter than my V6. Perhaps mine is just a bit noisy... :? Sure its very quiet at low rpm but give it a good bit of stick at higher rpm and it's anything but quiet! It's also noisier than the 2 litre 8 valve auto Xantia I used to own - that thing was remarkably silent even at 60mph.
Last edited by Mandrake on 09 Jun 2014, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by Mandrake »

xantia_v6 wrote: My experience is that you need to drive a manual ES9 quite carefully to match the economy of a 4HP20.
That seems a bit odd - every time the torque converter unlocks you're throwing away a ton of power as heat...

The only way the auto could get good economy is from keeping the rpm really low by staying in high gears (which it does) and by keeping the torque converter locked up as much as possible - which it does try to do as well. However acceleration from a stand still through first and second is almost entirely torque converter unlocked, unless you linger at a lower speed for a while in second.

To beat the manual seems very strange though unless you're failing to change up soon enough in the manual. I bet its more down to driving style with the manual gearbox encouraging a more sporty driving style where the gears are held longer.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think the main difference is that 5th gear in the manual is shorter (higher revving) than 4th gear in the auto. In typical driving here in France ( not much city driving, but quite a bit at 130 kph), I get almost exactly the same mileage in the manual XM as I did with the auto Xantia (10.5 litres per 100 km vs 28 MPG), but with the manual I generally up-change early. I do realise that the XM is a little heavier.

KP

Post by KP »

But is more aerodynamic...

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Economy!?!?

One thing I'm about 99% sure of is that this Activa will not be particularly economical! :D

It's now finished with it's new matrix and all the fettling is complete. Robert had a look at the idle valve and found it seized solid. It's now all cleaned up and is idling perfectly.

For some reason their ELIT is showing a permanent fault on the front electro valve so I'll get that swapped sometime soon.

I've got the keys back and have had some fun round the roundabouts in Hatfield and might go for some more before the nights out :)

David.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

So if we see a lunatic on the 10pm news being followed by police helicopters for going around and around the same roundabouts at high speed we'll know who it is ? :-D

KP

Post by KP »

And possibly screaming "They can take my licence, but they can never take my activa!!!!" Said in the best braveheart speech accent ever..... :p :D

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mandrake wrote:So if we see a lunatic on the 10pm news being followed by police helicopters for going around and around the same roundabouts at high speed we'll know who it is ? :-D
Head to Milton Keynes. They have lots of decent sized roundabouts, and a lot of them are not speed restricted (so, in theory, and, with an Activa, in practise) can be taken at 70MPH!

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

That was the plan... I was going to head to see Jim tomorrow morning but I believe dad is leaving home in the early hours to get down here to retrieve the trailer, the Activa and I and start heading back to Glasgow so it now looks like I won't have time unfortunately.

David.

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Oh yea... one problem I forgot to mention was that when trying to program the new ECU to my car and set the immobiliser up the CPH kept refusing to accept the key code for the car.

After checking with Citroen this morning we are definitely entering the correct key code into Lexia when trying to program the keys but it keeps saying it's failing so I'm looking to change the CPH to try and sort this out.

Apart from that, all has gone smoothly with no problems experienced during the weekend :)

David.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

You have a pm David.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Mike, I have replied :)

David.

hattershaun
Donor 2020

Post by hattershaun »

You're now a fully paid up member of the Activa V6 club, you've had the warm welcome by spending the weekend listening to all the stories from the B.L.Autos boys. Citroen enthusiasm is quite infectious.
Shame we didn't get time for a photoshoot of all their Activa V6 conversions.

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

That sounds like en excuse for another trip down, Shaun!

David.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

DHallworth wrote:Oh yea... one problem I forgot to mention was that when trying to program the new ECU to my car and set the immobiliser up the CPH kept refusing to accept the key code for the car.

After checking with Citroen this morning we are definitely entering the correct key code into Lexia when trying to program the keys but it keeps saying it's failing so I'm looking to change the CPH to try and sort this out.
Were you trying to do the ECU pairing process when it failed, or were you trying to do key programming ? Did it accept the 4 character code and fail later or fail immediately at the point you entered the code ?

I'd try programming the keys (but wait until you get home in case anything goes wrong! :wink: ) and if that works it may simply be that the unlocked engine ECU can't be "paired" with the CPH in the normal way, as the immobiliser code in the ROM is disabled.

There are a few different ways that engine ECU might have been unlocked, and the original listing for that ECU was a little vague.

1) Completely unlocked - it will just work right away no pairing needed and can be swapped to another CPH at any point. My Auto Engine ECU that you have is like this. A completely unlocked ECU will have NO immobiliser function - eg you can unplug the transponder antenna around the ignition barrel and the car will still start. (Test after the car has been stopped and locked for 10 minutes as it remembers the last immobiliser unlock for a few minutes)

2) Factory original un-programmed - won't start until you pair it with a Lexia - once you pair it to a CPH it is forever paired to that CPH (unless you send it to an unlocker) and you will have an immobiliser function. This is what I thought you were buying with that ECU.

3) Unlocked and auto-pairing. This is similar to 2 but the ROM code has been rewritten so that it automatically and permanently pairs to the first CPH you connect it to (careful!) without need for a Lexia session. Once it pairs itself it is locked to that CPH and the immobiliser works, similar to 2.

Have you ever done a successful key programming session on the Activa with your Lexia before ? Could the CPH have been swapped before you bought the car therefore meaning the code Citroen has on file is wrong ? If so you could try my old CPH as it has a known code. Bear in mind though that if the engine ECU is indeed fully unlocked you still wont have a working immobiliser no matter what you do...