All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Re: David Hallworth's Blog aka All Things V6!

Post by DHallworth »

IT'S ARRIVED!! IT'S HERE!!

After a fortnight on back order the pipe has finally arrived!

That's what £48 gets you from Citroen!

Once I've got changed and had a cuppa after work I'll get it fitted and get it filled with coolant and running.

I'm not sure how I did it but late one night last week whilst cleaning the calipers up I managed to strip the thread on one of the caliper sliders. I drilled it out, threaded it and tried to use a helicoil but it just wasn't for playing ball. Citroen want almost £50 a packet of two caliper sliders. I visited the scrappy locally today who had a C5 in but would only sell me the complete carrier. I gave him £15 and have two sliders with good threads on them now anyway, cheaper fix then Citroen and as it was purely my own fault I can't really grumble. Strange thing is they didn't get tight at all, the first thing I knew about it was when it went right in and got loose rather then getting tight :?

Anyhoo, I'm hoping that in a couple of hours time, the C5 that hasn't moved for 6 years will be driving itself off the ramp, and out of the workshop under it's own steam!

Progress report later!

David.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Good luck David. [-o< [-o< You should have your own limousine soon! :-D :-D
DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Unfortunately I've not had long on it yet as I had to help unload a new washing machine and unwrap it which took considerably longer then expected by the time it was in situ.

The hose is fitted, coolant filled and bled through.

The car has been running for about an hour, everything has warmed through, all the electrics appear to be working - even the sunroof!, the thermostat has opened so we've now got a hot top and bottom hose and it's purring away like a dream! The starter motor has stopped sticking when starting it now too!

Anyway, here's a nice little video showing it running...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds awesome as the back box has come detached from the centre section!

Here's another one of the engine bay showing the size of the radiator! It's huge!

Also strange to see is two connections at the top rather then a top and bottom hose!

Right, am fed and watered now so off to do the brakes.

David.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I'm surprised the petrol gauge isn't slowly moving down with all those revs ;)

I see that it's done 60ish K, so was kinda getting on for the timing belt change anyway.

I see the screws on your airbox are just as rusty as mine!.... BTW since you've probably done it for this job, is the airbox just remove the hose and lift up? by the looks of the service.citroen.com it seems like it just has some thing that slots into the hose beneath?

Going to be something I need to do for the 4HP20 oil change :)
DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Yup, loosen the jubilee clip, and just pull it straight upwards. Needs quite a tug though!

The petrol pin wasn't moving but the range on the computer was!! :lol:

David.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's brilliant work David :-D

You're really bringing this one back from the dead!
DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Well, I decided to finish removing the stripes from the XM tonight.

I peeled the stripes off the car and it left adhesive marks on the paint, I bought a bottle of white spirit on the way home from work tonight.

After half an hour with a rag damped with some white spirit and a bottle of AutoGlym Super Resin polish here are the results:

The car looks a bit plain now :? I'm almost tempted to put the thin coach line that runs along the cars waist line back on it, in some red, unfaded lines.

David.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Looks really good without them, I think after a while you'll find it looks fine without some thin lines on.

I spy a C5 :)

Jealous of your workshop! WIsh I could have something similar here!
DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I forgot to check the mail today when I got home from work. However, checking it after dinner I found something I'd been waiting on for a few days.... The tax disc for the XM. :-D

I taxed the Activa in the post office on 1st May but as I couldn't lay my hands on the XM MOT certificate I had to tax it online. Anyway, I decided that I'd take it on a good run as it was a nice evening up here. I had a route worked out in my head which would have been a nice 40 odd mile round trip.

I moved a couple of cars around and got the XM out of the workshop. I left it running whilst I did this so it had started to warm through. I took it down the lanes and onto the dual carriageway. I then set the cruise at 65mph and left it there for around 10 miles. After which the oil temp n water temp pins were both nicely in the middle of the dials and she was running beautifully. Unfortunately it then started to chuck it down so I jumped off the M8 at the next junction up, scooted round the roundabout and flew home to get it back in the workshop.

The XM has only seen rain for 10 minutes in my ownership and that was for the last few miles of my journey home from Wetherby 2 years ago so why change the habit of a lifetime!?!?

Anyway, am happy as a pig in poo at the moment as both of my Citroens are both running well.
wish the same could be said for the bloody C5 though. After running fine for an hour last night I went to it tonight and it wouldn't start! It was spluttering and catching on a few cylinders then cutting out. Completely stumped by it as it was running beautifully last night :(

David.
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Idle control valve sticking ? That would be the easiest thing to check first - just apply some throttle when starting.

Fuel pump not running ? Map sensor not working ? The V6 in the Xantia will run just fine with the map sensor unplugged when its hot, but will struggle to start (multiple spluttery attempts and some throttle required) when cold. Same would go for a faulty coolant temperature sensor.

I'd get the Lexia on to it and run a full set of actuator tests, fuel pump, spark, injectors etc...also check the map reading reads ambient while the engine is stationary and drops below 500mb while cranking, coolant and air intake temperature readings make sense etc. Shouldn't be too hard to find. :)

My money is on the map sensor or coolant temperature sensor if it was running fine when hot.

The very first time you started it when you first got it, did it start easily and quickly or did it struggle a bit ?

At least on the ES9J4S you're blessed with FAR better diagnostic abilities on the Lexia than an ES9J4. For example you can graph up to 8 arbitrarily chosen PID's to view as graphs later, I would kill for that feature on mine :twisted: Makes diagnosing certain types of problems including a no start so much easier...
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:Idle control valve sticking ? That would be the easiest thing to check first - just apply some throttle when starting.
I seem to recall watching a scannerdanner video very recently with that exact thing and cleaning it up resolved it? Is that where you got the inspiration from? :)

Hopefully it is something simple David. :)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:
At least on the ES9J4S you're blessed with FAR better diagnostic abilities on the Lexia than an ES9J4. For example you can graph up to 8 arbitrarily chosen PID's to view as graphs later, I would kill for that feature on mine :twisted: Makes diagnosing certain types of problems including a no start so much easier...
Nitpick: it's 6 ;) sometimes wish it was 8 though :( but still 6 is a godsend, doubt I would have easily confirmed the electrovalve without it :)
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Nope, don't think I've seen one where he cleans an idle control valve, (I don't think the ones in the ES9J4S are cleanable anyway) you're not thinking of cleaning the throttle plate are you ? Unlikely to be the problem, and just opening the throttle a tad would allow it to start in that case.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Simon, pulled it from my history, here's the two videos regarding it:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (~14mins for the start of the IAC stuff, if you want to skip most of the diag things).

Not saying it's David's issue, just that it sounded similar to one of your suggestions :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The Xantia Mk2 V6 (but not Mk1) will run something like that if an attempt is made to start it with a very flat battery, and then the battery must be disconnected to reset the ECUs.