MoT failure points

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

MoT failure points

Post by red_dwarfers »

Right, after taking the Xantia in for its Citroen MoT yesterday it has failed on the following points:

1 Offside and Nearside front suspension arms have excessive play in a pin/bush
2 NS steering rack gaitor split
3 Parking brake has no reserve travel
4 OS/NS front brake discs are excessively worn
5 OS/NS front brake pipe inadequatly clipped

Advisories:
6 NS front anti roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint
7 Front and rear fluid suspension accumulator slightly deteriorated
8 Suspension joint NS upper dust cover split/missing
9 Slight play in top steering column mount
10 Front brake discs badly corroded

Quite a list! The ones Im going to need some guidance in are 1, 2 and as that side of the car needs dealing with 6. Im guessing on 1 he is on about the pin on the lower suspension arm that attaches to the subframe area?
What is the general test for these bushes and pins is it wobbling them with a bar? How much should they move?

I questioned 7 and after all the faffing about after I told him that they were actually brand new a few months ago, he then decided that the problem wasn't the accumulators but both the well lubricated height correctors!
I didn't question 8 at the time but after a brief look this afternoon, presuming that its the one that covers the front strut, can I find a split on it? Err no. :twisted:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Kev :cry: That'll keep you busy for a couple of hours.

1. I assume is the P bushes. Not has hard as they look...
2. Is a job of questionable parentage :twisted:
3. Seized cables/adjustment

4 and 5. New discs and reclip. Easy.
6. Drop Link?
7. WTF? Does he have a sphere tester then?
8. Possibly damaged boots on the lower swivel joints. Easy to damage them if the suspension has been dismantled carelessly - like when you had your clutch done. Another job of questionable parentage :(
9. Many do, new top column needed really... Like with it.
10. As for 4.

Still, nothing show-stopping or major :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Would this be one of Citroen's free MOT tests by any chance?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm confused as to how you get a failure AND an advisory on the front discs.... :?
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

(1) could well be the lower swivle joint's

(9) this is probably the MOT tester thinking there is movement, were he see's the sphere and sphere bracket moveing from side to side whilst the steering is being turn lock to lock,

regards ,malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: MoT failure points

Post by Homer »

red_dwarfers wrote: 3 Parking brake has no reserve travel
This could be just the tester not understanding the Xantia handbrake, I even had a BX fail because the handbrake didn't work - he had of course tested it on the rear wheels.

Or it just needs evening up on the adjusters.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the corect way to adjust these hand brakes up is, with car on level ground, hand brake off,engine running, press on the brake pedel hard two to three times, but do not stapm on it just even presure,

this goes for all front hand brake citroens with the hand brake being on the main brake pads,

as 9 times out of 10 the self adjusting dose not adjust as it should

regards malcolm
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Steering rack leak cost me €600 to fix Kev :( and the chap didnt even fit the right rack ,so now im left with a steering wheel that doesnt do its job,he tried to brush it off saying it needed to be tracked :roll: ..Are you going to try all the jobs yourself ?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe you can get hold of a super-stretchy gaiter to replace the split one on the NS. You have the problem of lifting it over the ram spigot. The arm also needs removing.

It's a toss-up if it is easier to remove the rack complete to to the job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Steering rack quite easy to remove, but a bit involved because the steering colum has to come off to get the UJ off the pinion valve..

You also need the RAM off to get the boot on, which is much easyer on the bench then on the car..

So steering colum off, UJ joint off pinion valve, track rods off, PAS feed pipe off, return pipie off and the tiny return pipe on the end of the PAS Ram off, drop subframe on drivers side, whthdraw rack.

The Pinion unions are an absolute SOD tight to undo in situ!

So personally, its a rack off job every time! Done it twice now... glad I did!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Paul :D Excellent. You have turned a toss-up into a definite yes...

That's it then, the definitive answer. Out with the rack!

It may help to drop the front subframe a tad to give a bit better access. That's easy, just four bolts...

Just beware that the rack is shimmed so be careful not to loose the shims under the attachment clamp bolts and ensure they are properly replaced.

That's the most difficult job of the lot Kev. get it done and the rest, with the possible exception of the lower swivels, (if they do indeed need replacing) is plain sailing :D
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Steering rack leak cost me €600 to fix...
Holy smoke!

I paid $120 for the seal kit, and had a local fellow dismantle the pinion valve and install the new kit ($50 more). He'd done plenty of them for the BX era. You don't need to remove the column to get the valve out, just loosen/remove the locking bolt inside and wiggle the lower shaft section up its splines. Then crack the pipes, then unbolt the valve. If you've done it before, 90 minutes total hoist time is plenty.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thanks chaps!

I've run myself through the lower suspension arm bushes and I have worked out which ones have gone (the rear ones attached to the subframe at the end of the wishbone) and how I'm going to replace them.

Had a look at the steering rack also and saw that pipe spigoty bit. I'll take a printout of this thread and relate what you have all said to it and it should then click into place before I go taking everything to bits!
Am I right in saying that the track rod ends screwed on either end of the steering rack are the ones that have to go back on exactly the right number of turns for the tracking?

I'll crack on with it at first light tomorrow, emergency flask and hot tea cakes in hand :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'll see if I can get hold of a flexible steering rack gaiter though what size seals are needed for the supply and return pipes if I have to take the steering rack off?
Any other consumables apart from the track rod ball joint, drop link ball joint, wishbone to subframe and wishbone to hub nuts?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

red_dwarfers wrote: Am I right in saying that the track rod ends screwed on either end of the steering rack are the ones that have to go back on exactly the right number of turns for the tracking
Yes, however sometimes replacement track rod ends are slightly different dimensionally :evil:

The way I do it i to note the straight ahead steering wheel position before starting work, then replace one taking care to count the turns, but only do up the lock nut finger tight. I then go for a test run to find a nice straight street (ideally the same one I noted the steering wheel position on) and fine tune the track rod until the steering wheel is in the original position, then do up the lock nut. Repeat for the other side if necessary...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners