Unseasonal request - Xantia snow chains

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

digikid
My Cars:

Unseasonal request - Xantia snow chains

Post by digikid »

Looking ahead a little, I am anticipating that I shall require snow chains on my 110HDI Xantia next winter (in Europe). There does not appear to be much clearance around the 205/60/15 tyres to permit the fitting of chains. My initial enquiries have proved to be contradictory, one outlet saying chains may not be fitted to this model at all, another saying it is possible.
I am not averse to the idea of fitting narrower wheels and snow tyres as well. Anyone out there with experience of winter driving with this car?
Thanks,
John
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

My tip for driving hydraulic Citroens in snow: I find that if you raise the suspension to the rough ground level it gives a lot more feel as to what the car is doing on slippery surfaces.
You would only want chains on the front anyway so there should be plenty of clearance. There certainly is on mine (which is a 2.0 Turbo petrol Estate but shouldn't be much different).
I am sure the handbook mentions chains. Unfortunately that's in the car which my wife has at the moment so I can't look.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A front drive hydropnuematic Citroën fitted with snowchains is the next best thing to a
Landrover! It'll get you almost anywhere. The only problem is all the other idiots in their Saabs, Volvos and Mercedes who get stuck in the middle of the road and block it for us Cit's
NiSk (Sweden)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Iv'e got that size tyre fitted and where I live there is a hairpin bend on a steep hill, as I go round the bend (well it is a Citroen[:D]) on full left hand lock, on the descent, the left tyre rubs against the mud flap fairly vigourously.
Doesn't do it on full lock on level ground and infact has never done it anywhere but in this particular bend, this is an ordinary unclassified road that you might encounter anywhere.
If you have chains on and encounter this set of circumstances I suspect you will get your mud flap torn off and with possible wheel arch damage, if you have flaps of course.
I'd be tempted to go with just a good meaty set of snow tyres, don't just stick'em on the front though, if you have snow's on the front and ordinary's at the back you can expect plenty of hairy moments.
Dave